For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
KronosKurve's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, August 11th, 2015 2:20 PM

Android 5.1.1 update for Galaxy S6 Edge

Hi,

Any word on when the S6 versions will be updated to 5.1.1? I could use the battery improvements to last a work day without being connected to the charger.

thanks,

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@tben01

touchwiz on the s5 was garbage but then again so was that phone.  I like some of the features that samsung added on the s6 and they didnt go overboard like they did on the s5.  S voice can be disabled which is a huge plus for me.  There are some thing samsung could dump since google does do them better.  S health works well with my gear s.

Guru

• 

309 Messages

9 years ago

The last Samsung phone I owned was the Google Play edition GS4, for the simple reason that I wanted to avoid carrier meddling, not have to deal with the bloated abomination that is TouchWiz and get speedy updates. It was an excellent phone that I ended up keeping for over a year.

Last April, I got the GS6 for my wife, knowing full well that there will be lengthy update delays (AT&T is infamous for those). Fortunately, my wife probably doesn't even know what version of Android is on her phone. As I've mentioned earlier, if I were to buy another Android device for myself, it would only be an unlocked/unskinned (or lightly skinned) device (Nexus or Moto X) with no bloatware or carrier modifications/branding.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@kgbkny

to be quite honest with you I love the s6 920F no carrier stuff is included and I could disable what I didnt want of samsungs apps.  I do use nova launcher as I like my app drawer button in the middle.

Guru

• 

309 Messages

9 years ago

I'd be willing to tolerate TouchWiz, particularly since Samsung has really stepped up their update game. What really kills me is the carrier bloat, which is probably the biggest cause behind carrier meddling and update delays due to "testing". I'm convinced that "testing" is, in fact, ensuring that all the carrier bloatware plays nicely with the new software version.

Here's an interesting theory as to what could be causing the lengthy update delay for the GS6/GS6 edge - iOS 9, set to be released within the next couple of weeks, features WiFi calling for AT&T. Could it be that AT&T is baking this feature into the 5.1.1 update for GS6/edge?

Mentor

• 

101 Messages

9 years ago

I agree with your comment about s-voice; I think Samsung has not made any effort what-so-ever to improve it. It was a good start when it came out, i believe, with the S3, but there has not been any improvement since. I, too, have disabled this one. I think they can salvage it if they put in some time and effort to improve it. 

Mentor

• 

101 Messages

9 years ago

You are so right my friend....lol. AT&T's bloatwares are the ones I have the most. I mean they know that google's already provided better apps for everything they offer, but they still want to force their crap on their customers. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Yeah this is just ridiculous and so {Inappropriate content removed} I recommend everyone to ROOT their device and get the latest and greatest from the awesome xda developers. Sure you "could" loose your warranty. But only if they find out. But you can always come back to the original version

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

And you can't root if you have installed the last updates. And it's not
like you can install custom roms. The base still has to he a samsung rom
for att. Plus of you root samsung pay may never work. Then there is the
chance you will trip Knox which may make the finger print sensor not work.
Y

Mentor

• 

101 Messages

9 years ago

I definitely can understand the frustrations of the customers. All the other major carriers have already released the 5.1.1 update, but AT&T is dragging its feet. The problem is AT&T customers have to deal with this crap every single time there is an update available. AT&T is ALWAYS the last of the major carriers to release any update. Isn't AT&T supposed to be the largest and the most resourceful among the big four? Why is it ALWAYS the last to release updates. AT&T pre-instals the most bloatwares in its customers' phone and it's always the last to upgrade its phone. I tell you, the first chance I get, I'll go with T-Mobile.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

I tell you, my only regret is that I purchased an AT&T-branded phone. I should have purchased a t-mobile or unlocked Galaxy S6. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.