For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
KronosKurve's profile

Contributor

 • 

1 Message

Tuesday, August 11th, 2015 2:20 PM

Android 5.1.1 update for Galaxy S6 Edge

Hi,

 

Any word on when the S6 versions will be updated to 5.1.1? I could use the battery improvements to last a work day without being connected to the charger.

 

thanks,

Guru

 • 

309 Messages

9 years ago

This is precisely the reason why I left Android. If, sometime down the line, I decide to return to it, I will not purchase another carrier-branded/OEM-skinned phone. It's been nearly 7 years since Android phones became commercially available, yet the carriers/OEMs still can't get their act together when it comes to updates.

ACE - Expert

 • 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago


@It_1990 wrote:

@darklighter43 wrote:

AT&T is the only carrier that has not updated their S6 and S6 Edge to 5.1.1. If there is a problem let us know otherwise release the dang update already😒


You know what's really sad? The Note 5 and 6 Edge+ (available through AT&T) come loaded with 5.1.1. That tells me that Samsung-AT&T already did the required testing before those two devices were packaged and released to customers. They did this with S4, S5 and Note 4 customers. You only got the update with a newer version of the phone while others were left behind. I'll never understand why Samsung doesn't do what Apple does--tell the carriers not to mess around with their OS and that only Apple will release OS updates.


Actally part of the problem is samsung and there abomination called touchwiz.  Samsung and ATT both try to pack to many features in the os.  There is a reason I buy unlocked phones.

Tutor

 • 

6 Messages

9 years ago

ATT SUCKS AT RELEASING TUE 5.1.1 UPDATE. THIS IS REALLY FRUSTRATING HOPE THEY DROWN IN THEIR TESTING AND packing of the stupid update. Braking my contract and telling families to stay the **** away!!!!!

ACE - Expert

 • 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago


@S6_owner wrote:
ATT SUCKS AT RELEASING TUE 5.1.1 UPDATE. THIS IS REALLY FRUSTRATING HOPE THEY DROWN IN THEIR TESTING AND packing of the stupid update. Braking my contract and telling families to stay the **** away!!!!!

You know it amazes me the amount of people that complain about updates but do have other options for a s6.  Heck I paid 469.99 for my s6 920f.  You buy a carrier branded phone you are on there update schedule.

Teacher

 • 

13 Messages

9 years ago


@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@S6_owner wrote:
ATT SUCKS AT RELEASING TUE 5.1.1 UPDATE. THIS IS REALLY FRUSTRATING HOPE THEY DROWN IN THEIR TESTING AND packing of the stupid update. Braking my contract and telling families to stay the **** away!!!!!

You know it amazes me the amount of people that complain about updates but do have other options for a s6.  Heck I paid 469.99 for my s6 920f.  You buy a carrier branded phone you are on there update schedule.


Regardless of the truth of your post, doesn't make it right on the carrier's part to not even attempt to maintain the software of their product.

 

In fact, it's a great way to lose a customer base the next time they have the opportunity to leave for a superior service.

ACE - Expert

 • 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago


@airforcerg wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@S6_owner wrote:
ATT SUCKS AT RELEASING TUE 5.1.1 UPDATE. THIS IS REALLY FRUSTRATING HOPE THEY DROWN IN THEIR TESTING AND packing of the stupid update. Braking my contract and telling families to stay the **** away!!!!!

You know it amazes me the amount of people that complain about updates but do have other options for a s6.  Heck I paid 469.99 for my s6 920f.  You buy a carrier branded phone you are on there update schedule.


Regardless of the truth of your post, doesn't make it right on the carrier's part to not even attempt to maintain the software of their product.

 

In fact, it's a great way to lose a customer base the next time they have the opportunity to leave for a superior service.


leaving because of phones is a mute point since going to a new carrier requires you to pay full price for the devices.  2 year Contracts are dead for new customers on any of the big 4 carriers.  I look for existing customers to lose 2 year contracts on all carriers before the end of the year.

 

Now the fact here is ATT has a special build of the s6/edge.  The setup menu is one..  It goes side to side when the rest of the world goes up and down.  There are other things in the rom that are different that I can't post here.

Teacher

 • 

13 Messages

9 years ago


@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

leaving because of phones is a mute point since going to a new carrier requires you to pay full price for the devices.  2 year Contracts are dead for new customers on any of the big 4 carriers.  I look for existing customers to lose 2 year contracts on all carriers before the end of the year.

 

Now the fact here is ATT has a special build of the s6/edge.  The setup menu is one..  It goes side to side when the rest of the world goes up and down.  There are other things in the rom that are different that I can't post here.


Like disabling of features specifically built into the base ROM from Samsung?

 

"I can't post here". Are you serious? What kind of response is this? Do you mean the disabling of the download booster? Or the removed feature of allowing the phone to act as a wifi hub so other devices can reach items built into the storage, but not the tethering? That's asinine.

 

To call it a "special build" is so beyond disingenuous. 'Oh they changed the orientation of the setup menu!' like it's some special thing. That's not special. It's an orientation change. Big. Deal.

 

This has zero to do with why 5.1.1 hasn't been pushed to AT&T carrier S6's and S6 edges... Especially considering that both the Note 5 and S6 Edge+ DO already have the carrier branded 5.1.1.

 

Please try again.

 

 

 

 

ACE - Expert

 • 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

No im talking about other things ATT has built into the rom that you can find on other sites.  And when I say not post here its because of the forum rules.  Linking to sites like xda or others is not allowed.  Att has embedded stuff in more than just the menus.  There is more to the wifi thing than you think.

 

Marking my posts as 1 star does not change the fact that ATT changed the build more than any other carrier out there.  Remember I'm not an employee of ATT so I have to follow posting rules just like you. 

 

Just because there is 5.1.1 on the note 5/6+ edge does not mean those roms are interchangeable.  I'm I giving att a free pass no.  I have 2 att s6's in the house that need 5.1.1 but its not going to fix the aggressive ram management.  The memory leak was fixed in the first 5.0.2 patch.  The camera features it adds are cool.  The 2 that are running 5.1.1 in the house work just like the 2 running 5.0.2.   Even the note 5 has the aggressive ram management problems.

Teacher

 • 

13 Messages

9 years ago


@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

No im talking about other things ATT has built into the rom that you can find on other sites.  And when I say not post here its because of the forum rules.  Linking to sites like xda or others is not allowed.  Att has embedded stuff in more than just the menus.  There is more to the wifi thing than you think.

 

Marking my posts as 1 star does not change the fact that ATT changed the build more than any other carrier out there.  Remember I'm not an employee of ATT so I have to follow posting rules just like you. 

 

Just because there is 5.1.1 on the note 5/6+ edge does not mean those roms are interchangeable.  I'm I giving att a free pass no.  I have 2 att s6's in the house that need 5.1.1 but its not going to fix the aggressive ram management.  The memory leak was fixed in the first 5.0.2 patch.  The camera features it adds are cool.  The 2 that are running 5.1.1 in the house work just like the 2 running 5.0.2.   Even the note 5 has the aggressive ram management problems.


Except that they are, as it's been done (albeit with some bugs).

 

Everything in every post you've made Re: 5.1.1 has been giving AT&T a pass, whether you're of the opinion or you aren't as you've only defended them.

 

Addressing the main point of the OP was to asking about the 5.1.1 update (read, the lack of update) schedule.

 

The carrier is making literally zero attempt to inform it's users of something they're asking for, and now that they're the last major carrier still on 5.0.2, their customers have some legitimate qualms as to what is taking so long in the delay. Do you feel like this is unfair to AT&T? If so, why? As such a large player in the telecom industry, do they not have the resources to dedicate to making this update happen? Why would that be? It seems far more than just suspect to me, and many other posters and users. Hardware-wise, this is a FANTASTIC phone, but that hasn't stopped AT&T from screwing it up.

ACE - Expert

 • 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago


@airforcerg wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

No im talking about other things ATT has built into the rom that you can find on other sites.  And when I say not post here its because of the forum rules.  Linking to sites like xda or others is not allowed.  Att has embedded stuff in more than just the menus.  There is more to the wifi thing than you think.

 

Marking my posts as 1 star does not change the fact that ATT changed the build more than any other carrier out there.  Remember I'm not an employee of ATT so I have to follow posting rules just like you. 

 

Just because there is 5.1.1 on the note 5/6+ edge does not mean those roms are interchangeable.  I'm I giving att a free pass no.  I have 2 att s6's in the house that need 5.1.1 but its not going to fix the aggressive ram management.  The memory leak was fixed in the first 5.0.2 patch.  The camera features it adds are cool.  The 2 that are running 5.1.1 in the house work just like the 2 running 5.0.2.   Even the note 5 has the aggressive ram management problems.


Except that they are, as it's been done (albeit with some bugs).

 

Everything in every post you've made Re: 5.1.1 has been giving AT&T a pass, whether you're of the opinion or you aren't as you've only defended them.

 

Addressing the main point of the OP was to asking about the 5.1.1 update (read, the lack of update) schedule.

 

The carrier is making literally zero attempt to inform it's users of something they're asking for, and now that they're the last major carrier still on 5.0.2, their customers have some legitimate qualms as to what is taking so long in the delay. Do you feel like this is unfair to AT&T? If so, why? As such a large player in the telecom industry, do they not have the resources to dedicate to making this update happen? Why would that be? It seems far more than just suspect to me, and many other posters and users. Hardware-wise, this is a FANTASTIC phone, but that hasn't stopped AT&T from screwing it up.


The s6 edge+ your right maybe the note 5 has a little bit more added to it.  Any rom builder can port a rom that does not mean they didnt use the base from the original phone.  And you cant say that someone ported the ATT roms since the bootloaders are locked down on all 4 phones.  so we really cant say if it would work with ATT's build.

 

I will say one thing no carrier in the us gives update schedules.  They never have and never will the way it looks.

 

This is why android is fragmented and always will be.  Just like ATT and Verizon will always sign there bootloaders.  Making custom roms and rooting almost impossible.

 

And your also right the s6 and note 5 are steller phones hardware wise but are hampered by the carriers and samsung since touchwiz is to blame for some of it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.