Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
MarkLeavenworth's profile

Mentor

 • 

71 Messages

Thursday, July 26th, 2018 6:30 PM

Visual Voicemail Free

Why are the experts on here saying that Visual Voicemail does not come with prepaid plans? It does come with prepaid plans and is even free for plans with no data. Otherwise, we would just use GoogleVoice to get notifications over wifi.

ACE - Expert

 • 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago


@MarkLeavenworth wrote:

Why are the experts on here saying that Visual Voicemail does not come with prepaid plans? It does come with prepaid plans and is even free for plans with no data.

Where are they saying that? 

 

 

Mentor

 • 

71 Messages

6 years ago

ACE - Expert

 • 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago


@MarkLeavenworth wrote:

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1009160/


So when you say "Why are the experts on here saying", you mean the tech support pages...???

 

That said, I see nothing on that page about your claim about people saying VVM not coming with those plans AND I see nothing about VVM being "free for plans with no data." 

 

That page doesn't mention DATA at all.

 

 

 

 

(edited)

ACE - Sage

 • 

116.9K Messages

6 years ago

I’m on Verizon prepaid, they do not offer VVM on prepaid.  It’s the one feature I miss.  However I do have Wifi calling.  😛

 

ACE - Expert

 • 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago


@Gary L wrote:

@MarkLeavenworth wrote:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1009160


So when you say "Why are the experts on here saying", you mean the tech support pages...???

 

That said, I see nothing on that page about your claim about people saying VVM not coming with those plans AND I see nothing about VVM being "free for plans with no data." 

 

That page doesn't mention DATA at all.

 

 

 

 


@Gary L

 

I'm trying to figure how you have a smartphone on a plan with no data in first place(unless its prepaid).  The system should catch the IMEI of the device as they are labeled as smart phones by IMEI unless someone is doing some IMEI hacking.

 

The other thing on that page in question...  Shame on ATT for not listing what phones will work with it...  It looks good on paper but if it only works with one phone well its not worth it.

Mentor

 • 

71 Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 "3 iPhones and no data plan... If you mean you literally have no data, which is against terms of service, that confirms my other thought. Per that ‘she figured’...{keep it courteous}...

 

...If you want to ... not have data, you should be on prepaid. Oops, prepaid does not have VVM, that handy feature that requires data and postpaid.
When ATT finally catches up with you, and they will, they can force a data plan. "

Mentor

 • 

71 Messages

6 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 VVM is free on all prepaid plans with a compatible device, excluding Puerto Rico, that's why there is no exclusion. You need a data plan for a smart device and prepaid plan, but you do not need data on that plan. VVM is free, so it comes with the plan at no extra charge, even if you don't buy a data add-on.

Master

 • 

3.5K Messages

6 years ago


@lizdance40 wrote:

I’m on Verizon prepaid, they do not offer VVM on prepaid.  It’s the one feature I miss.  However I do have Wifi calling.  😛

 


@lizdance40Just use Google Voice, it does an awesome job of transcribing and sending you a text (if desired) with the v-mail.

You can use it solely for VVM functionality, or for WiFi calling, on unsupported scenarios.

I set this up a couple of years ago, when I finally moved to Android, ATT VVM is a pain, if you ask me (I'm sure it's easier on iOS).

GV VM should work in a "carrier agnostic" way, which is handy stuff.

ACE - Expert

 • 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago


@MarkLeavenworth wrote:

VVM is free on all prepaid plans with a compatible device, excluding Puerto Rico, that's why there is no exclusion. You need a data plan for a smart device and prepaid plan, but you do not need data on that plan. 


Can you use VVM if you don't have a data add-on and you are NOT on WiFi?

 

The page you linked says:

"Standard airtime charges apply to all calls from your phone to voicemail, including calls to set up voicemail and forwarding voicemail messages. Data and messaging used replying to and forwarding voicemail messages via messaging or email counts against your data and/or messaging plan."

 

It basically says charges for use will be incurred, but does NOT mention listening to VVM (it doesn't exclude it, it's just not mentioned).

 

VVM is free, so it comes with the plan at no extra charge, even if you don't buy a data add-on.

Remember, VVM is free with POSTpaid too. 

 

 

Mentor

 • 

71 Messages

6 years ago

@Gary L You can't reply to or forward or use data messaging or email, but you can use VVM without purchasing a data add-on because VVM is a free service with ATT. I was nervous about turning on my cellular data because I do not want or need to use cellular data and I didn't want to accidentally get charged for it, but two different ATT representatives have assured me that VVM is in fact free and that I can turn on the service without fearing additional data usage or charges.

 

The problem is more complicated for limited data plans, and VVM can be inconvenient for those users.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.