AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!
M

• 

4 Messages

Thu, Sep 17, 2020 5:23 PM

Stream saver option missing

Hi, the option to toggle the stream saver feature on or off no longer appears when I log in to myAT&T. I'm on the Unlimited Plus Plan.  Is there any way to rectify this?

Responses

joey2007ua

Voyager

• 

138 Messages

a month ago

The switch disappeared on two of my lines after turning it off.  One line is on the 8GB plan and the other is on the Unlimited Plus plan.  I found I can force it back on by removing that line from the multi-line account and then adding it back, but that is just stupid since it can only be done every 30 days.

Did the option disappear from your account after turning it off?

• 

4 Messages

a month ago

I turned the feature off but the option still appeared for a few days. It's been gone for a week or so. Can customer service restore it? 

joey2007ua

Voyager

• 

138 Messages

a month ago

On reddit other users reported that they have to call to get it restored.

To speak to a live representative

• Dial 611
  • Say "More Options" at the main menu
  • Select "0" on the keypad

Maybe if enough people report the issue they'll eventually fix it.  It only took them about six months to fix Wi-Fi Calling on the Unlimited Plus plan.

• 

4 Messages

a month ago

Thanks, I called and the representative said my plan doesn't come with a stream saver option and so I don't need to toggle it off in order to stream in HD. That's odd considering I had access to the option over a week or so ago. 

joey2007ua

Voyager

• 

138 Messages

a month ago

That is odd since it is clearly listed as a feature we are supposed to be able turn off and on at any time.

• 

4 Messages

a month ago

Yep, I suppose I'll take their word for it for now. Did you manage to have the option restored on your account? 

joey2007ua

Voyager

• 

138 Messages

a month ago

I called 611 a few days ago to request the account number of the line I'm porting to Google Fi.  While on the line, I told them about the issue we are having with the Stream Saver switch disappearing sometime after turning it off. I detailed how I was able to reproduce the issue on the 8GB plan and the Unlimited Plus plan.  They "refreshed" everything on the affected lines and instructed me to turn the phones off for several minutes and turn them back on to resolve the issue. I would be lying if I said I was shocked that this accomplished NOTHING.  They also sent me a text with the URL to the myAT&T app on the Google Play store, which was super helpful since it serves no purpose for prepaid accounts.

I doubt this issue will ever be resolved since most people just want to turn Stream Saver off and leave it off.

Anyway, today was the 31st day since adding the Unlimited Plus line to my existing multi-line account for testing purposes.  So I logged into its online account and changed it from an individual account to a multi-line account, which turned Stream Saver back on and restored the switch.

After moving the member lines to the new multi-line account, I reverted the old owner account to an individual account and ditto.

On a side note, HBO Max doesn't appear to qualify for sponsored data on the 8GB plans.

joey2007ua

Voyager

• 

138 Messages

a month ago

Ok.  Stream Saver functionality is just broken on prepaid accounts.  A plan change or joining/leaving a multi-line account is supposed to turn Stream Saver on if it is off.  I found that changing from a multi-line account to an individual account or vice versa simply restores the Stream Saver switch to the account in the 'ON' position.  It doesn't actually change the state of Stream Saver from OFF to ON.  Then toggling the switch to 'OFF' actually changes Stream Saver's state to ON and the switch disappears again.

(edited)

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.5K Messages

a month ago

@joey2007ua

Great info.  Is At&t looking into it?  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
joey2007ua

Voyager

• 

138 Messages

a month ago

No. I'll call back in a few days and try again.

joey2007ua

Voyager

• 

138 Messages

a month ago

Well, I'm cautiously optimistic that they may have actually had someone look into this. 

After changing the Unlimited Plus line to a multi-line owner account, the Stream Saver switch was restored in the 'ON' position, but Fast.com speed test results were still full speed.  In my test of the restored switch on the 8GB line 2 days ago, the switch immediately disappeared and turned Stream Saver On instead of leaving it Off. After that, I was reluctant to mess with the switch on the Unlimited Plus line.  If I can't control Stream Saver, I would rather it be stuck Off instead of On.  Today, since I just can't leave well enough alone, I flipped the switch anyway.  

It has been a few hours and the switch hasn't disappeared yet.

Now there is text on the Data summary screen stating that Stream Saver is Off.  Previously, this section was just blank after turning Stream Saver Off.  So far, Fast.com results are still full speed.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

a month ago

Stream saver is for video and I found out it does not work for webpages.  using fast is not going to help for testingsince that is not tagged as video data

(edited)

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
joey2007ua

Voyager

• 

138 Messages

a month ago

Fast.com uses Netflix's servers so ISPs view its traffic as video.  

Have you performed speed tests with fast.com with Stream Saver off and on?   

With Stream Saver On, I consistently get speeds in the 4 to 5 Mbps range while other tests show the full speed available for non video traffic.  The only time it matches other speed test sites with Stream Saver On is if the max available speed at that time is in the 0 to 5 Mbps range.

With Stream Saver Off, fast.com results are much closer to results of other speed test sites.  So I have found it to be a reliable tool.

Stream Saver On.

Stream Saver Off

joey2007ua

Voyager

• 

138 Messages

a month ago

Ok.  The switch apparently just disappears at random when turning it off or on.  

After turning Stream Saver back On this time, the switch disappeared.

The status of Stream Saver is also missing from Data summary screen.

Fast.com results confirm that it is on now.

(edited)

Get started...

Ask a new question