Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Celebrate all that he does with a gift for every kind of dad!
Makanda's profile

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

Mon, Apr 5, 2021 8:38 PM

Prepaid plan

Prepaid plan is charging me for text messages but I cannot receive them when I am abroad. The problem is logging into these web systems that use two factor authentication. TMobile does this, why can’t ATT? I need a phone that let’s me receive my secret codes in messages. I receive them on my computer but never when I’m abroad. HELP? Google voice app? 

Responses

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

49.9K Messages

2 m ago

Prepaid does not roam internationally except Canada, Mexico and select European countries. That is why you don’t receive texts when abroad.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

2 m ago

Text messages are not like phone calls. Text messages are actually free to send world wide. They’ve programmed the phone to stop messaging. Why charge for the message when it is prevented from being sent? As you say, it goes to other countries, just not all other countries . And I said, TMobile does it. 

(edited)

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

49.9K Messages

2 m ago

Again, prepaid does not roam internationally. That means no service. You can’t receive or send texts without service. I have no idea why you are charged. You shouldn’t be charged.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

85K Messages

2 m ago

Text messages are free to send it all over the world when you are inside the United States and domestically covered. 
AT&T is owned by a company inside of the United States, and does not own any companies in Europe or Asia. T-Mobile is owned by a German company, and owns other cellular services.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

2 m ago

Logic that works for phone service.

Text messaging is world wide and open.

In any case, thanks so much for the helpful tips. /s

The dual authentication will bite everyone sooner or later.

Whenever you login, you will have to have another appliance that has a phone number attached to to available and at your side to receive texts. 

Get started...

Ask a new question