Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Feb 26, 2020 8:51 PM

Does AT&T support a prepaid phone connecting to vodaphone in Germany ?

I was told by at&t support that I could not add access to German providers to my US prepaid phone. Just got to Germany and my phone is connecting to vodaphone.de and delivering inbound SMS. Is this a default relationship between AT&T and vodaphone and I can just use it using my prepaid terms, or, am I roaming & will get charged, or is it an error on vodaphone's part, or can I actually arrange for the prepaid phone to legitimately connect to vodaphone by dealing with AT&T ?

Responses

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

35.9K Messages

a month ago

You may have a prepaid phone but you must have postpaid service. Prepaid service can’t roam in Germany. In any event, if your phone is connecting to Vodafone, you are roaming and will be charged international roaming rates.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

At&t suppt which I just called at +14089621025 while connected to vodaphone and spent 22 mins on the line with a very competent Filipina, said this is very strange, "management" said it should not be possible. We did a test where I tried to add a call to another number and it was immediately dropped. I recall something that SMS is handled under other mechanisms than voice & data. Hope I didn't spoil it for everyone by telling them. Looks like I'm not getting anything free other than SMS.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

35.9K Messages

You shouldn’t have service at all unless you are on WiFi calling. If you are really roaming on Vodafone and you have prepaid service, that is an anomaly. The validation Vodafone does with ATT to allow you to roam likely messed up.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…