Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
DSB233's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, November 21st, 2018 12:56 PM

ATT Secure Family- is child texted when located?

Just need to know if child is texted when their phone is located in this new ATT secure family app. They never were in the old ATT family map. When I updated, they received a general text of some sort. I only use the app for location, not for smart limits so they do not have the app on their phones. Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

From the FAQ:

Q: Do my family members know when I locate them?

A: Yes, for location tracking and content filtering to work, the parent must install an AT&T Secure Family Companion App on the other family member’s phone. For security reasons, phones receive a text message from AT&T Secure Family when they become locatable. Locatable phones receive a notification via text message that they can be located once per month.

So the answer is yes, the child will know. Not every time, but the first time you try to locate it. 

Also, if you don't install the companion app, you'll only be able to locate it by the network location. You have to install the Companion app to get the GPS location which is the most accurate.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

So the first time, or every month? Your answer said two things. My children already received a text once I updated to ATT secure family. Will they now receive monthly texts? Again, they never did with ATT family plan. Thanks so much.

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

Like the FAQ says, the phones will get the text the first time, and then once a month from then on. It seems like AT&T wants Secure Family to be more transparent and visible to the user being tracked, because some people were using Family Maps like spyware.

Scholar

• 

37 Messages

5 years ago

The inmates are clearly running the asylum!

The concept that kids are entitled to privacy on cell phones that their parents are paying for is crazy.  Anyone who is using a cell phone owned and paid for by someone else doesn’t get to complain about lack of transparency.  Geez...

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

The concept that kids are entitled to privacy on cell phones that their parents are paying for is crazy.

You can do whatever you want with your kids, but AT&T isn't required to help you spy on them. There's plenty of spyware out there that you can install without FamilyMaps. However, AT&T is already being raked over the coals for privacy concerns so it doesn't need the legal liability of selling spyware.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

One child I tracked knew right away I was tracking them - I presume they got a text message.  Two other children did not get any notification.  Why the difference?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Absolute nonsense. Legally the right to privacy inheres in the person of the account holder only. Logically the entire concept of any Secure Family type of software is for parents and guardians to monitor children or adult wards discreetly. Obviously, the child (or the person kidnapping them!) being notified that they should turn off that layer of security is not conducive to a "Secure Family" at all and quite the opposite of policy implemented "for security reasons". It defeats the purpose of the software. If I did not require discretion to monitor the location of people on my account and legally under my charge, I'd simply call or text them to ask -- it's a phone! AT&T services are not rationally planned and Secure Family/Family Maps is absolutely marketed falsely as a family security system. It would be one thing if this were clearly advertized as a voluntary, nearly pointless, maps locator, but AT&T is going out of its way to imply the app serves a specific need, then sabotages that service. It might even be forgivable if there was only one notification, but again AT&T is going out of its way to send regular notifications that continually sabotage the service, for which they've been legally responsible every time that sabotage has interfered with parental and guardian rights and put children and the disabled in unnecessary danger. No idea where they got their incredibly inaccurate (in U.S. law at least) legal advice. The idea that few if any account holders have brought civil suit against AT&T for this major security flaw and breach of the spirit of their contracts is beyond belief. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.