Get our NEW Unlimited MAX plan with 25GB hotspot data, 5G access, 100GB cloud storage, and more for $55/mo.!
S

• 

2 Messages

Friday, April 17th, 2020 1:13 AM

AT&T Prepaid - Bring Your Device

I am planning to get unlocked iPhone SE 2nd gen directly from Apple and I want to use AT&T prepaid plan to test AT&T network in my home to see network performance before committing to everything.

Will AT&T lock my unlocked iphone SE 2 when I buy $15 2GB promo plan to test it out? I hear people are saying AT&T actually lock unlocked iphones.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Scholar

• 

1K Messages

4 years ago

If you bought the SIM free model from Apple no.

If you paid full price at Apple they shouldn't.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

@kevink Make that “If you buy the SIM free model from Apple”. The new SE is not available yet.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Scholar

• 

1K Messages

Maybe preordered?

Yes, won't have received it yet. But for any phones from Apple, buying the SIM free model should ensure that it is stored in Apple's databases that the phone is unlocked. The ones that can get confusing is the flex models sold through many retailers, like Best Buy. If sold for postpaid use with device payment plans, or sold for prepaid use, will lock to the first SIM used. Though they can be marked when sold.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

Thank you all, and yes I pre-ordered very early, SIM-free option.

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have a Apple iPhone 12 I had on contact can I switch it to prepaid and will I need a new SIM card I have my old one but not a working Phone number

ACE - Scholar

• 

1K Messages

3 years ago

Once a SIM is used and expires it can't be used again.

Only time I've seen it continue to work is if you move an active ATT number between accounts, such as moving to prepaid and continued to use same number.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.