What is happening with 3G?
Unlimited Data for $50/mo.
Tomick's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Tue, Jan 11, 2022 7:14 PM

Upgrading 3g phone with a gifted iphone SE

I'm on a prepaid plan and currently using a 3g phone from ATT. I was given an iphone SE that my DIL upgraded from that's also an ATT phone. I want to use the iphone to replace the 3g phone but don't know how to go about it. The iphone's sim card is much smaller and the phone is locked via ATT. All my online attempts were useless. Any suggestions? TIA.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

55.5K Messages

14 d ago

Online attempts at what? You need to go to an ATT store for a correct size replacement SIM card. They will activate the SIM card with your number. The phone being locked to ATT doesn’t matter.

ACE - Sage

• 

92.2K Messages

14 d ago

This right here. ⬆️

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

10 d ago

A trip to the ATT corporate store solved the problem. They put in a new sim card and transfered the service as sandblaster suggested. However, an earlier trip to an authorized ATT dealer was a waste of time. I was told by them that the phone was too old and the transfer of service couldn't be done.

ACE - Sage

• 

92.2K Messages

10 d ago

@Tomick

There is no such "transfer of service", which probably confused everyone.

It's simply replacing, "upgrading" the phone.  

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

55.5K Messages

10 d ago

Naw, saying transfer of service shouldn’t have confused them and the store saying the phone was too old was clearly wrong. I’d say that authorized retail store just didn’t want to provide a replacement prepaid SIM card.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

26.7K Messages

10 d ago

Authorized Retailers are even more sales-only than AT&T Corporate stores.  They don't care about AT&T customer service.  They only want to sell you something.  Giving you a new SIM is no profit for them.  If they could convince you your phone was too old and sell you a new one, then that's profit for them.

I wouldn't deal with most Wireless Authorized Retailers for anything.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

55.5K Messages

10 d ago

@JefferMC I don’t disagree with what you said but the store could have sold them a replacement SIM card. Even corporate stores charge for a replacement SIM card and an authorized retailer can charge whatever they want.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

9 d ago

Uh, I was not charged for the sim card nor installing it.  Wasn't in the store for more than 10 minutes. So, I was a happy customer.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.