Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
N

• 

6 Messages

Fri, Dec 4, 2020 4:42 AM

Unlock phone site is fake

Att is saying my IMEI is not associated with them, I have proof that is, how do I report them?

Responses

• 

6 Messages

2 months ago

I have a samsung locked to AT&T. I have proof that my IMEI is associated with them but their unlock site is apparently fake. I got a government sim in cause I'm not working at the moment but I need my phone. Who do I report them to? I need my phone and all they do is lie and say its not their carrier, well its obviously locked to them so why have the "fake unlock site", is that legal?

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Unlock phone site is fake
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

25K Messages

2 months ago

Website is not "fake" just because you disagree with what it is telling you. It would only be fake if it were someone pretending to be AT&T. To be sure this is AT&T's actual unlock site: Unlock a Phone or Device - AT&T Device Unlock Portal

If the phone absolutely was made for AT&T (not brought over from another carrier), then first double check the IMEI on the phone to make sure you are typing it correctly. Make sure to watch out for characters that can look the same depending on the phone such as I, i, l, 1, etc.

After that if still not working, then call AT&T and see if they can assist with the unlock over the phone. But website not doing what you want and going straight to calling it fake and not legal is a ridiculously giant leap. Try help from customer support or even some other customers who may have experiences with unlocks.

Though remember in the end there is no obligation that the phone get unlocked to use on another carrier. That is simply an option they choose to provide.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

6 Messages

2 months ago

I have tried with att & im not the only customer that knows they are doing this. So I didn't just jump to fake as you assumed. I just found it odd after their last (Edited per community guidelines) that they would do something like this, I haven't reported them yet cause its late for me, but they had quite a few reports today. 

(edited)

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.5K Messages

2 months ago

🤦🏼‍♀️

You really think that the public facing unlock portal which hundreds of thousands of people access and use successfully every day is fake?

🍧🍨

Rather than just consider its just you and the phone that you are trying to unlock?

Illogical. 

Plenty of reasons to get that message, the most to least likely are:  

Phone was purchased & used on an MVNO of AT&T, not AT&T itself. 

If your phone has not been registered or recently used on AT&T, it's imei is not in the data base.

If the phone cannot be used on AT&T anymore because it's not VoLTE compliant, it's purged from database and can't be unlocked. 

If it's a red hydrogen one, razr2, Amazon fire phone, or any other brands that AT&T no longer sells or supports it cannot be unlocked and the IMEI will not be in the database.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question