Everyone gets our best deals on every smartphone - Black Friday gift deals are still here!
5GB of Hotspot Data With an Unlimited Plan
cmov91's profile

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Mar 4, 2022 3:56 PM

It's urgent you upgrade to a new phone - Prepaid Account

Hi, I own a Nokia 6.1 Plus unlocked phone, and I'm currently on the prepaid plan. Since 1st March, my phone is not connected to the network. And when I signed into my ATT prepaid account, I saw the alert below:

It's urgent you upgrade to a new phone, your current phone may not work any day now and on April first AT&T will cancel your service. To repeat, it’s urgent you get a new phone. AT&T can help. For more info, visit your AT&T store (att.com/stores/) for upgrade offers. 

Just wondering why I need to upgrade, since my device supports 4G network and is relatively new. Also, is upgrading as simple as buying an unlocked device (iphone for example) and inserting the SIM? Or is it advisable to visit my nearest ATT store?

Grateful for any help.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.5K Messages

9 months ago

@cmov91 

Here is the unlocked phone list its easier to read

https://www.att.com/es-us/idpassets/images/support/pdf/Service-Capabilities-Unlocked-Devices-ATT-Network.pdf

Your phone is not on the list so yes it needs replaced.

Fl_retire

ACE - Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

9 months ago

Your phone has 4G data but reverts to 3G for calls. Link below has list of compatible unlocked phones. 

https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/pdf/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf

• 

2 Messages

9 months ago

Thank you both @GLIMMERMAN76  and @Fl_retire.

One last question, can I just buy a new unlocked phone and insert my prepaid SIM? Or does that involve visiting my nearest att store?

• 

2 Messages

7 months ago

So my 4g VoLTE capable Samsung M51 won't work. I just got this phone 8 months ago. Why me?

Tahomike

• 

12 Messages

7 months ago

AT&T is doing it’s best to irritate loyal prepaid customers.  I got the same irritating text but with May 4th mentioned as a service cut off date. Naturally the link they supplied directs me to some new higher end phones with a “discount” if I sign up for a $70 monthly contract, pay an activation fee and get locked into a long term contract. I recall similar messages back in January with February cut off dates yet my non approved  “pirate” phone with 4G lit is working fine.  I’m guessing it will still work after this latest shake down. We shall see. I’m on the yearly prepaid plan which is up in November. Next time I’ll just go month to month and switch teams if I have to.  

Nicolas81

• 

290 Messages

7 months ago

@FauxFox I won't pretend to be an expert or anything here. 

Your Galaxy M51 has everything necessary (save enough of the necessary primary frequency bands for 4G service - depending on which variant of the Galaxy M51 you have - SM????) to be compatible with AT&T network.  

They may tell you that your phone either isn't a 4G phone... or VoLTE capable... or it is 4g, but uses 3G technology for calls... or it doesn't have the HD Voice feature... which AT&T claims is necessary for compatibility with the network. 

Again, depending on the variant you have, your phone has all of those features. 

However, AT&T system will flag the IMEI number of your phones and restrict it from full service. The system is setup to catch any device that they don't want to work on the network. 

They will tell you that you need to buy a new compatible phone from their whitelist for one guaranteed to work on the network... or change carrier to keep your phone. 

The registered IMEI number in the system is the issue. 

If you choose to... you try purchasing a inexpensive compatible phone (Walmart, or AT&T's website) ... register the IMEI number from that phone with the network and SIM card... place that SIM card into your Galaxy M51... and other than that first notification you see tell you that the phone you are using is incompatible... it should continue working. 

• 

2 Messages

7 months ago

@Nicolas81 
Thanks the the suggestion.
I have seen such tutorials to bypass this restriction.
My Samsung M51 was already expensive so I will just buy compatible and sell my M51. The difference is only ~50 dollars. I just hope to be done with switching phones now. 

(edited)

Nicolas81

• 

290 Messages

7 months ago

@FauxFox  I appreciate your response 

And no problem. I certainly understand just trying to get a phone that works without an further issues or frustration. 

If I may ask, would you mind letting me know what exact model number your Galaxy M51 is? 

Depending on the variant... and sell price... I might know someone who is interested. 

• 

4 Messages

7 months ago

HI everyone,

Reading all previous posts I can relate to all. I would like to share my experience with AT&T's 3g shutdown process:
From my point of view,AT&T is greedy, they want to lure all prepaid customers into buying devices from them to the best extent of their power,by keeping most -if not all international versions  of devices sold by them out of their dreaded whitelist.

I bought my beloved unlocked S8+ international version from amazon back in 2019, and have been using it on AT&T's prepaid 300.00 yearly plan since... I have gone through all the pain of having my service suspended and redirected to a talking head then listening to baseless claims of  how my phone would not work because it is a revert-to-3G phone, not compatible with HD call, not VoLTE ready,I got texts in 2021/early 2022  warning me to upgrade or my phone would stop working on Feb 22  and now, a few days ago AT&T started sending texts threatening to cancel my service on May 4th if I don't upgrade....

The fact is, today is April 25th  well past the 3G shutdown date of 2/22/22  and  my phone has never stopped working, It displays VoLTE, I have crystal clear HD calls.

I love my current phone,I totally refuse to surrender it to AT&T's greed until the very end. It really,really bothers me when a talking head rep tells me "your phone is not VoLTE ready" "Your phone uses 3G in certain situations" BUT,  refuse  to receive a screenshot from my device proving my S8+ does all of those things they say it can not do.

Anyways, I don't know if this is the reason why AT&T has not suspended my service, but this is what I did as a countermeasure: one week before the 2/22 deadline I gave in and bought a cheap, used (Lg Phoenix ) AT&T phone whose only merit is to be on their white list, updated the new IMEI via AT&T's webpage, swapped SIM cards and used that AT&T branded phone for a few days.Then,3 days after the 2/22 deadline I switched the SIM card back to my S8+ and it has been working fine with no issues ever since.

I intend to to the same this week as my new "drop dead date" I got from AT&T's texts is May 4th.

I have valid reasons to wanna keep  my current device as AT&T cannot provide certain features on their devices that I need for my work while the international versions do provide those. If need be, when my yearly plan is due I will switch service to T-Mobile who does consider my S8+ compatible with their network. I would strongly prefer not to this because AT&T provides me with much better commercial conditions.300/year or 25/mo with 8GB  with unlimited roaming in Canada, Mx  and hotspot included plus rollback of unused data is tough to beat.

I have come to grips that I may be forced out at some point as it may become just too much inconvenient for me having to deal with this problem on a permanent basis.

We'll see how it goes.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.5K Messages

7 months ago

Lol Att can still see the IMEI of the device your using.  So that is why they may cancel the service.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.