Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
saabguy76's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, April 1st, 2018 1:33 PM

Closed

AT&T Locking my unlocked phone

I purchased a GSM unlocked phone from Apple. I Used in on Verizon prepaid for a while and switched to ATT Gophone prepaid for a few months. I relocated and ATT does not have cell service where my home is. I tried to switch back to Verizon but it is now locked to ATT. They wont unlock it until Ive been with them 6 months. This is MY device that I purchased unlocked. NOT FROM ATT. How do they even have the legal right to lock my personal device to their network? NO OTHER CARRIER DOES THIS.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

What phone is this? Apple has a new setup that causes a phone to be locked to the first carrier the phone is activated on. Since it was used on Verizon first, it should have stayed unlocked but clearly something went wrong. It is possible the same thing would have happened had you put in T-Mobile or sprint SIM card. Regardless, you can get your phone unlocked but it won’t be easy. Hopefully @ATTCares will respond here but if not, call ATT and ask for advanced tech support. You need someone that can bypass that 6 month requirement.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Its an IPhone. I thought this to but the rep at the AT&T store said it doesn't matter anymore. "Any unlocked phone, once its on AT&T its locked to AT&T". Still seems illegal to me. I purchased the phone outright direct from Apple. They are the ones that told me that AT&T is the only company that does this. I'm filing a report with the BBB, and PUC. The public needs to know about this.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Calls to A&TT just get me bounced around to foreign people overseas named Jim and Rick that seem to read from the same generic script.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Like I said, it won’t be easy. You might have better luck during the week than on Easter Sunday. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.1K Messages

6 years ago

@saabguy76

Skip straight to the FCC.   This is a gap in the CTIA unlock policy and possibly a flaw in how Apple server is working with phones.  If you purchased a sim free iPhone direct from Apple, it should not lock to any carrier.  If Apple servers are allowing it to lock, that’s an Apple problem.   It seems to be inconsistent, so not all phones are locked once used on ATT.  Retailers like Best Buy sell a universal model, so it makes sense it would lock as soon as it’s used on a carrier.  The phones don’t know they were fully paid for.  

You will surely not get help today.  Filing an FCC complaint will mean ATT will contact you.  

Guru

• 

561 Messages

6 years ago

If you purchased an unlocked phone from Apple, either the Sim Free model or the Verizon model, you should take it back to apple and they should resolve it.  Regardless, if you had used verizon and activated it, the phone should not have locked.  If you purchase a universal model and stick an ATT sim card in it the first time, it will lock to that carrier.  If the phone is purchased from Apple and is an unlocked model, they should unlock it and resolve this issue.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

If I did use a at&t SIM card to activate my phone, Does that mean I cannot go to straight talk? And can they lock my phone if I put a straight talk SIM card in it. I mean Will AT&T always have access to my phone. They are over charging me $75 a month more than I promised I want to leave AT&T but I cannot afford to pay my current bill completely off. I want to go to straight talk but I cannot afford for my farm to be locked down please help

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@Cambam1970 If you activated the phone with an ATT sim card, then yes it is probably locked to ATT. You can still use it on Straight Talk provided you tell Straight Talk you have an ATT phone and they put you on ATT's network.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.1K Messages

5 years ago

@Cambam1970

Be aware you still owe ATT for the phones if you purchased on installments, and the final bill too. 

There has been some discussion about ATT blacklisting phones that weren’t paid for.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I bought my iPhone from t mobile went to att and decided to go back to t mobile but att has my device locked for the same reason and I dnt understand how they can do this when this is my device I paid $900 for it makes me so mad 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.