Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tue, Mar 26, 2019 2:18 PM

Apple Watch with prepaid

Okay, so, I see on all these threads customers as well as AT&T employees answering saying NO an Apple Watch will NOT work on a prepaid plan, but yet Apple is saying it WILL on any carrier actually, as long as phone is near and it’s connected through Bluetooth, just some features will be unavailable. So can someone tell me why I’m seeing two different answers here? No skirting around, will it work on Bluetooth and what features won’t work? I’m thinking it is data. 

Responses

Accepted Solution

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.4K Messages

2 years ago

Well sure it works with Bluetooth.  Just don’t pay extra for a cellular model as the cellular function has no purpose without an appropriate plan to run it.

And to be blunt about Apple’s statement, it isn’t running on any carrier if it’s using Bluetooth. (Really Apple 🤨)

So what it won’t do:   No calls, will not work away from the phone, no data connectionother than Wifi.  It’s a $400 Fitbit.  

As for why can’t it work on cellular with prepaid, it’s how prepaid works as opposed to postpaid. Prepaid is singular, the only way you can “share” is with Bluetooth or on some plans tethering.  For a smartwatch to work, it has to be on a shared plan, which only postpaid can do.

For the watch to work as an extension of your phone, it spoofs your phone number.  This requires a shared data plan and number sync (that’s the program that spoofs your phone number.)  It requires a user name and password set up on a postpaid plan so that th 2 devices share one number for calls and text (even though the watch has a different number on your account.   

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.9K Messages

2 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

Well sure it works with Bluetooth.  Just don’t pay extra for a cellular model as the cellular function has no purpose without an appropriate plan to run it.

And to be blunt about Apple’s statement, it isn’t running on any carrier if it’s using Bluetooth. (Really Apple 🤨)

So what it won’t do:   No calls, will not work away from the phone, no data connectionother than Wifi.  It’s a $400 Fitbit.  

Really you compared it to a Fitbit?  They could not make a REAL smartwatch if they tried and they have and failed(I have been sent a few to try).  They are fine for just fitness but even a WiFi only apple watch has more to give than fitbit.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.4K Messages

2 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@lizdance40 wrote:

Really you compared it to a Fitbit?  They could not make a REAL smartwatch if they tried and they have and failed(I have been sent a few to try).  They are fine for just fitness but even a WiFi only apple watch has more to give than fitbit.

Did they send you a Versa?   And it’s half the cost.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.9K Messages

2 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@lizdance40 wrote:

Did they send you a Versa?   And it’s half the cost.

Yelp it does not compare...  Even on a android phone...  No voice assistant or maps software is a big downer.  Then the fact that the device has no GPS in it..  Its a fitness tracker without a GPS?  That is how they are saving battery...  I get that its cheaper but it feels cheaper...  You can get a Samsung smartwatch which works better for about the same price now.  The gear 3 series is down around 199 bluetooth only.  Samsung and Apple command the wearable space for the most part.  FitBit needs to up its game.

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

They're saying you won't have direct Cellular service on the iPhone cellular, however, as long as you have your iPhone with you can use the Bluetooth link of the iPhone watch to your iPhone.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.4K Messages

2 months ago

@atchaplyn  you kind of missed the point. How about you read the old thread? 

• 

1 Message

a month ago

I have ATT prepaid.  Can I add only my Apple Watch on a friends T-mobile plan and continue with my ATT prepaid for my iphone?

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

81.4K Messages

a month ago

You can do it but it won't work as a connected device.  You might as well use it Bluetooth. 

A watch is $10 a month plus tax on postpaid. And then it would work as designed as a companion device to your iPhone. Why not just put both devices on the same carrier with a postpaid plan?

And before you say it, AT&T has been a no-contract carrier since 2013.  Yes, postpaid is more expensive, because prepaid is limited 

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

Need to work harder and make more money to be able to afford the good stuff.

Get started...

Ask a new question