Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
KarlHest's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, July 6th, 2018 11:26 AM

Activating a prepaid SIM card outside the US for use in the US?

I'm wondering if I can activate a Pre-paid SIM card outside the US in order to be able to use our phones as soon as we land in the US so that we can contact our family who will be picking us up at the airport.  Can anyone tell me if that's possible or do I need to be in the US to activate it?

Thanks!

Karl

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

It is possible to activate the SIM card but won’t be possible to select or purchase a plan. You won’t have usable service until a plan is selected and paid for.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

So to clarify, we are able to receive regular US mail due to being stationed overseas with the US military. I still can't order a SIM card with a plan to be delivered to our US address here?  I really have no idea how this works exactly. I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible before we visit family so that it's easier and faster once we're in the US later this summer.  We recently had family visit us from the states and they did a similar thing with a European SIM card so they had service as soon as they landed. Is that not possible going the other direction?

Thanks!

Karl

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

I don’t know if ATT will ship to an APO or not. If not, you can order a SIM card from Amazon or EBay. You don’t purchase a plan when you order the SIM card. Once you activate the SIM card, you get assigned a phone number. You use that phone number to login to your prepaid account to select and purchase a plan. You can activate the SIM card online from outside the US but you can’t access your prepaid account from outside the the US to select your plan. That you can’t do until you arrive. You have 60 days to select a plan after activating the SIM card. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you!  That is very helpful. 🙂  We've lived outside the US for so long at this point that I don't know how much of this works anymore! Smiley Tongue We may just deal with it and hit Wal-Mart when we arrive. 🙂

Thanks again!

Karl

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Or we'll ship SIM cards to the family we're staying with so we don't have to go to the store and deal with that in a jet-lagged state. 😉

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.