Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

• 

1 Message

Mon, Apr 6, 2020 4:29 PM

When will Apple 5G phones be available?

I am looking at switching over to AT&T. I can port my old IPhone 7 over or purchase an XR. I have been told that the XR is not 5G ready. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Amy

Responses

• 

153 Messages

a month ago

It is correct that Apple does not sell any 5G phones. AT&T does label some types of 4G as “5GE” but this is not real 5G.

Apple does not discuss unannounced products but they usually announce new phones in September. It is unknown how current events will affect this.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

37.9K Messages

Even before this, the speculation was that Apple would not be producing a 5G phone this year.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

11.7K Messages

I would think that once real 5G is being deployed (5Ge doesn't count as even being close to 5G) that Apple and others will start producing 5G capable phones. I agree with @sandblaster that 5G phones, especially Apple, won't be available till 2021 at the earliest.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

75.2K Messages

a month ago

Apple has been saying for over a year that it had no intention of producing a 5G phone yet. I guess we will see if the iPhone 12 is 5G or if iPhone is going to start falling behind Android.
5G brings a whole new set of problems 2 manufacturers.
5G depletes the battery faster than LTE so the phone requires a larger battery. I'm sure apple is trying to figure out how to maximize usage time without making their phones ridiculously large or thick. One thing I give Apple a lot of credit for is not producing a device that does not measure up to their high standards. If they had produced a 5G phone this year, I can guarantee the one thing that would be said about it is "Apple's 5G phone has lousy battery life".

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

• 

153 Messages

No, Apple has not made any statements about not producing 5G phones. It is widely expected that they will indeed be released in 2020.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/04/13/5g-iphones-ipad-like-design-smaller-homepod/

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.5K Messages

@ATDoesntCare it was said they would release a iPhone 9 in march and that did not happen. They did release a new mac and ipad pro's tho. I take all this info with a grain of salt these days. If apple launches a 5G iPhone good for them but the 5G networks on all the carriers (Edited per community guidelines) right now. Verizon is really bad as they have no low band 5g right now. ATT has a little and Tmobile its about all they have.

(edited)

• 

153 Messages

But that’s kind of my point - rumors are just rumors. No one here knows for sure.