Everyone gets our best deals on every smartphone - Black Friday gift deals are still here!
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
quadriped's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wed, Apr 17, 2019 7:27 AM

When is 3G being shutdown?

I have a 3G ZTE Z222 of which I'm fond.   My friends with Sprint have been notified of an imminent Sprint 3G shutdown. I searched that topic on this forum and found that my phone will be good till 12/2012 or "such time as there is a national shutdown."  I need something more specific as flip-phones are getting scarcer by the week, and the only 3G flip-phone offered by AT&T right now is, bluntly, junk.   How imminent is a national shutdown?

QuarryRye

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

3 years ago

@HARRYCALLAHAN wrote:

POTS is the only thing to have for truly reliable home phone service (landline)....   

You know what's even more reliable? The telegraph. For that matter, everyone should communicate through the post office, not email. Never seen an envelope and paper crash like those fancy computers. And by post office, of course the most reliable method of delivery is by horse, not those fancy cars that run out of gas and break down.

ACE - Sage

• 

101.8K Messages

3 years ago

@QuarryRye wrote:

@HARRYCALLAHAN wrote:

POTS is the only thing to have for truly reliable home phone service (landline)....   

You know what's even more reliable? The telegraph. For that matter, everyone should communicate through the post office, not email. Never seen an envelope and paper crash like those fancy computers. And by post office, of course the most reliable method of delivery is by horse, not those fancy cars that run out of gas and break down.

Sarcasm becomes you.  😄

Back in 2011 and 2012 (yes, 2 years in a row, on Halloween both times) Connecticut was hit by October hurricanes coupled with a sudden cold snap.   The resulting snow storms took out wires, trees, blocked roads, and made a huge mess which for some people lasted as long as two weeks or more. We lost power and cable service, including phones in 2011 for 12 days, and in 2012 for five days.   Both times all cable, including our phone service was down for the full time. We survived quite well with our cellular service. Not only for communication but for entertainment.   So no one system is perfect, and land lines are not a guarantee of service.  

pgrey

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

3 years ago

Yeah, POTS lines are/were great, for reliability, partly because they were powered by the line itself, and not the normal "utility power".  
VOIP can be the same though, the ISP and other (in-house) infrastructure just needs to "catch up", that point, really.

Plus, like @lizdance40 says, we don't have be "tethered", always. I've bike-toured into some pretty remote places, even some recently, and been without mobile service for long periods, and really I couldn't care-less, for the most-part, sometimes I think it's a good thing to "unplug" for a bit...

There are only two full-on guarantees in life, by my count, and cell service is none of them (this is only life/death, NOTHING else implied) ;-]

I like having our Ooma/VOIP, still.  It gets a VERY consistent call-quality, almost all digital (i.e. VoWiFi or VoISP, essentially), whereas my cell can still come/go, in terms of call quality, even in the best areas (we don't have any ATT WiFiC "allowed" phones, which might improve that, or likely would).

It's nice to use our home number for "random contact info", where you suspect your number might get "leaked" anyway; we probably get 80% of our robo/spoof/sales calls (even though we've been registered on DoNotCall for MANY years), on that line, instead of our mobiles (but mobile is definitely on-the-rise, in terms of these "unwanted calls", bummer...).

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

3 years ago

My concern with the 3G shutdown is with regard to foreign travelers coming to the US and having their own phones roam on the AT&T network.  I want to ask:

1. Will AT&T finally support phones with native VoLTE and VoWiFi capabilities (i.e. those that are not AT&T-branded)?  It will be a big problem for foreign travelers if AT&T will still only provide VoLTE and VoWiFi on iPhones and AT&T-branded Android phones.

2. Will the 850 and 1900 MHz bands currently used in AT&T's 3G network be refarmed to LTE as bands 5 and 2 respectively?  Band 5 (850 MHz) will be especially useful for roaming, as many phones sold in Asia support LTE band 5.

ACE - Sage

• 

101.8K Messages

3 years ago

@Delcat13Tay wrote:

My concern with the 3G shutdown is with regard to foreign travelers coming to the US and having their own phones roam on the AT&T network.  I want to ask:

A very valid concern and I’ve mentioned it.  AT&T is the carrier most people use for roaming and if they buy a sim for local service.  

1. Will AT&T finally support phones with native VoLTE and VoWiFi capabilities (i.e. those that are not AT&T-branded)?  It will be a big problem for foreign travelers if AT&T will still only provide VoLTE and VoWiFi on iPhones and AT&T-branded Android phones.

Agree it’s a potential problem.  We don’t know and AT&T won’t say.  New unbranded android phones are seeing VoLTE, some of them, not all.  Anything made to work in the USA and under a year since release are seeing VoLTE.  However, AT&T is playing games.  I had VoLTE on 1+ 6t, then the 1+ 7 came out and I lost it.  

2. Will the 850 and 1900 MHz bands currently used in AT&T's 3G network be refarmed to LTE as bands 5 and 2 respectively?  Band 5 (850 MHz) will be especially useful for roaming, as many phones sold in Asia support LTE band 5.

At&t already has LTE bands 2 and 5. I have no idea how that’s going to work.

If a phone is sold for Asia, and doesn’t have US approval and lacks bands 12/17, it’s not going to work on AT&T once 3g shuts down.  

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

3 years ago

Sounds like a concern from Geekdom lol
pgrey

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

3 years ago

Yep, @singleabman1963 , that's sort of accurate, except that it's becoming a "general customer issue", because of the lack of ATT "support", in this area.

As @lizdance40 mentions, some/most recent phones will/might work, but ATT isn't publishing "a list", and seems to be on the "RCS ultra-slow/late-track", which would fix ALL of this, ultimately...

ACE - Sage

• 

101.8K Messages

3 years ago

@pgrey  Figures AT&T would drag it out.  Like an all day dentist appointment.  At least Verizon has been very definitive.    

pgrey

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

3 years ago

@lizdance40 Yep, Verizon, TMobile, Sprint, Fi, ALL the other (major) carriers have published definitive, inclusive lists now.

AT&T "stands alone", with no list, and no way for customers to know here...

How in the world does someone "traveling to the US" figure this out?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

we wouldn't expect them to come over here and drive their horse and buggy
on an interstate would we?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.