Everyone gets our best deals on every smartphone - Black Friday gift deals are still here!
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
quadriped's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wed, Apr 17, 2019 7:27 AM

When is 3G being shutdown?

I have a 3G ZTE Z222 of which I'm fond.   My friends with Sprint have been notified of an imminent Sprint 3G shutdown. I searched that topic on this forum and found that my phone will be good till 12/2012 or "such time as there is a national shutdown."  I need something more specific as flip-phones are getting scarcer by the week, and the only 3G flip-phone offered by AT&T right now is, bluntly, junk.   How imminent is a national shutdown?

AToGoP

Scholar

• 

160 Messages

3 years ago

warfase1, who are you talking to?  I had already read your post and certainly wasn't talking to you!

Glimmerman said:

That flip phone will have to support VoLTE on AT&T to work in the next 6'months.

@Glimmerman :  Prove it. Source?  (An official announcement that is NOT ambiguous would be needed - especially given that (supposedly) iPhones w/o VoLTE will still work  )  I see:

@kevin said:

You still have 2 years at least of service with a 3G only flip phone.

@pgrey even said:

@kevink Good point though, about the eBay phones. A lot of these could and might work on ATT, as long as they have good band/frequency matching, but as to whether they will be enabled is a big unknown, unfortunately. 

ACE - Sage

• 

101.8K Messages

3 years ago

@AboutToGoPostal wrote:

warfase1, who are you talking to?  I had already read your post and certainly wasn't talking to you!

Glimmerman said:

That flip phone will have to support VoLTE on AT&T to work in the next 6'months.

@Glimmerman :  Prove it. Source?  (An official announcement that is NOT ambiguous would be needed - especially given that (supposedly) iPhones w/o VoLTE will still work  )  I see:

@kevin said:

You still have 2 years at least of service with a 3G only flip phone.

@pgrey even said:

@kevink Good point though, about the eBay phones. A lot of these could and might work on ATT, as long as they have good band/frequency matching, but as to whether they will be enabled is a big unknown, unfortunately. 

The link to support article is broken, or article removed.  At the end of this year, new activations of 3G or non VoLTE devices will not be allowed.  (Much the same as Verizon did with 2019). 

The article simply said non VoLTE phones would have to be replaced.  However no date for replacement is given and no reason to believe a phone will cease working until 3g shuts down.

What we do not know is if there is a timetable for a gradual 3G shut down, or whether it will be shut down all at once as it was with 2G.   I suspect rural areas will have 3g service until 2022.    

As annoying as I find it, we must wait and see.   3G phones will definitely have to be replaced.  The question is, will phones perfectly capable of VoLTE be allowed on AT&T, when they work on other carriers.  

For example I have a 1+ 6t.  I can use it on Verizon or T-mobile with VoLTE, and until recently I had VoLTE enabled on At&t.   It stopped a couple weeks ago, and I can’t get it reconnected.   There is no reason for it not to use voice over LTE on AT&T network, other than AT&T is somehow blocking the phone    

kevink

ACE - Scholar

• 

580 Messages

3 years ago

It is kind of late for ATT to start banning activating with a phone that doesn't support VoLTE on ATT if they haven't already been publicizing it unless they allow MVNOs an extended time to activate phone on the network like Verizon did.  

And Verizon still has the hole in their system that ATT likely would too.  Using an already active SIM and just putting it into a phone that is unlocked and capable of working on their system.  If I wanted to signup new on the Verizon network (Verizon, a MVNO), I would either have to buy a new phone or give the IMEI number of a phone that is compatible (BYOP).  However, once account/SIM activated, it will work when moved to a CDMA compatible phone that doesn't support VoLTE.  And likely still work for voice the rest of the year.

With ATT supporting it until 2022, the same steps could be done.  

Still a big potential of problems as time passes where people bring phones that technically support VoLTE, but maybe not on ATT.  Unlocking doesn't always allow it to work (A prepaid Verizon phone I have which supported VoLTE on Verizon doesn't support it on T-Mobile, for instance).

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.5K Messages

3 years ago

Att will start phasing out 3g and continue till the 2022 date.   They did it with 2g.   We already have a LTE only tower here.   It was lit up last week.  They are not going to continue to pay for cell site gear they are going to rip out in 2 years.  They did targeted phone replacements in the 2g shut down.

As for a work around a activated sim is all one needs.  Now that may or may not work as attached system seems more aggressive than Verizon's on imei registration.

kevink

ACE - Scholar

• 

580 Messages

3 years ago

This is the same issue that Verizon has.  And reportedly, due to spectrum limitations, T-Mobile.  Growth of LTE only towers due to either not including 3G support in new towers (added expense) and not necessarily repairing 3G equipment.  As well as allocations less spectrum to it.

So generally 3G only phones will still work, it is more and more likely performance will drop and there may be more holes in coverage.

Scholar

• 

210 Messages

3 years ago

Hi GLIMMERMAN76, Have had the 3G shut down experience on a old AT&T Tilt 8925 cell phone. Kept on getting dropped access until finally the device popped up a notification‘(s) The SIM card is missing. Tried a new SIM from AT&T and that failed also. Went to an AT&T store and the representative would not try another SIM card because they stated either the device antenna was defective and that AT&T no longer supported 3G. Not being satisfied with that AT&T store, went to a different AT&T store. Same thing, inserted another new SIM card and again that failed. The representative from the second AT&T store offered and set up a free upgrade and device.

pgrey

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

3 years ago

@kevink wrote:

It is kind of late for ATT to start banning activating with a phone that doesn't support VoLTE on ATT if they haven't already been publicizing it unless they allow MVNOs an extended time to activate phone on the network like Verizon did.  

And Verizon still has the hole in their system that ATT likely would too.  Using an already active SIM and just putting it into a phone that is unlocked and capable of working on their system.  If I wanted to signup new on the Verizon network (Verizon, a MVNO), I would either have to buy a new phone or give the IMEI number of a phone that is compatible (BYOP).  However, once account/SIM activated, it will work when moved to a CDMA compatible phone that doesn't support VoLTE.  And likely still work for voice the rest of the year.

With ATT supporting it until 2022, the same steps could be done.  

Still a big potential of problems as time passes where people bring phones that technically support VoLTE, but maybe not on ATT.  Unlocking doesn't always allow it to work (A prepaid Verizon phone I have which supported VoLTE on Verizon doesn't support it on T-Mobile, for instance).

@kevink Yep, although some MVNO's (including Cricket) are already activating more VoLTE "capable" phones.  Even AT&T Prepaid allows more OnePlus phones to be enabled for VoLTE (back to at least the 5T, not confirmed, but certainly seems like many are finding this), at this point, PostPaid (not allowing most of these phones to use VoLTE) is almost a "penalty", currently, which is a bit "odd", IMO.

Like @GLIMMERMAN76 mentioned, they're going to start turning on LTE-only towers, and re-purposing 3G spectrum for LTE (and eventually 5G, in some locations), so if you don't have a "capable" (i.e. mostly-branded-or-iOS) device, you simply cannot make a call (even emergency calls would fail here, in most cases).  

The next few months, as we approach 2020, should be "interesting".  Cricket is already saying that they won't activate any more 3G devices, starting then, and I keep waiting for a similar announcement from ATT, it's gotta' be coming...

There's either going to have to be a fundamental shift, or Prepaid will have "better service" than Postpaid, it's pretty much going to come down to that, strange times...

Verizon, while they haven't opened up VoWiFi (yet), are allowing pretty much any "capable" Android device to use VoLTE, which is a step more towards the "open TMobile model", a step in the "right direction"...

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Sure wish everyone was as astute as wd8chl.  I agree 1000%.  A landline is a MUST for all homeowners.  I have seen instances (in Texas) following extreme weather/floods/hurricanes where nearby cell site(s) were down, usually due to NO onsite backup generator or an inoperable unit due to some kind of failure, e.g. runs out of diesel, etc.  And, for clarification, just like wd8chl, I am speaking ONLY of the old school, Ma Bell "POTS" (Plain Old Telephone Service).  POTS is the only thing to have for truly reliable home phone service (landline)....   

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.5K Messages

3 years ago

Pots is going to be going away.  Costs to much to upkeep and the infrastructure is aging more and more each day.  They will go-to fiber before long.

ACE - Sage

• 

101.8K Messages

3 years ago

@HARRYCALLAHAN 

57% of homes no longer have a landline.  And of those landlines, no data on how many are VoIP, like ooma and magic jack.   People are not willing to pay $40 a month for a home phone line that just collects Robocalls. We live in Mobile existence in the 21st-century.    I was put on the phone at my dentist office recently. After I hung up I realized I hadn’t spoken on a landline to anyone in six years.   

Unless one runs a home business and requires a connection that way because cellular is not good, I don’t see any reason to have a landline.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.