Pre-order the New Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 & Galaxy Z Fold4 and, for a limited time, get twice the storage and a free case!
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
quadriped's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wed, Apr 17, 2019 7:27 AM

When is 3G being shutdown?

I have a 3G ZTE Z222 of which I'm fond.   My friends with Sprint have been notified of an imminent Sprint 3G shutdown. I searched that topic on this forum and found that my phone will be good till 12/2012 or "such time as there is a national shutdown."  I need something more specific as flip-phones are getting scarcer by the week, and the only 3G flip-phone offered by AT&T right now is, bluntly, junk.   How imminent is a national shutdown?

Scholar

• 

210 Messages

3 y前

Hi GLIMMERMAN76, Have had the 3G shut down experience on a old AT&T Tilt 8925 cell phone. Kept on getting dropped access until finally the device popped up a notification‘(s) The SIM card is missing. Tried a new SIM from AT&T and that failed also. Went to an AT&T store and the representative would not try another SIM card because they stated either the device antenna was defective and that AT&T no longer supported 3G. Not being satisfied with that AT&T store, went to a different AT&T store. Same thing, inserted another new SIM card and again that failed. The representative from the second AT&T store offered and set up a free upgrade and device.

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

3 y前

@kevink wrote:

It is kind of late for ATT to start banning activating with a phone that doesn't support VoLTE on ATT if they haven't already been publicizing it unless they allow MVNOs an extended time to activate phone on the network like Verizon did.  

And Verizon still has the hole in their system that ATT likely would too.  Using an already active SIM and just putting it into a phone that is unlocked and capable of working on their system.  If I wanted to signup new on the Verizon network (Verizon, a MVNO), I would either have to buy a new phone or give the IMEI number of a phone that is compatible (BYOP).  However, once account/SIM activated, it will work when moved to a CDMA compatible phone that doesn't support VoLTE.  And likely still work for voice the rest of the year.

With ATT supporting it until 2022, the same steps could be done.  

Still a big potential of problems as time passes where people bring phones that technically support VoLTE, but maybe not on ATT.  Unlocking doesn't always allow it to work (A prepaid Verizon phone I have which supported VoLTE on Verizon doesn't support it on T-Mobile, for instance).

@kevink Yep, although some MVNO's (including Cricket) are already activating more VoLTE "capable" phones.  Even AT&T Prepaid allows more OnePlus phones to be enabled for VoLTE (back to at least the 5T, not confirmed, but certainly seems like many are finding this), at this point, PostPaid (not allowing most of these phones to use VoLTE) is almost a "penalty", currently, which is a bit "odd", IMO.

Like @GLIMMERMAN76 mentioned, they're going to start turning on LTE-only towers, and re-purposing 3G spectrum for LTE (and eventually 5G, in some locations), so if you don't have a "capable" (i.e. mostly-branded-or-iOS) device, you simply cannot make a call (even emergency calls would fail here, in most cases).  

The next few months, as we approach 2020, should be "interesting".  Cricket is already saying that they won't activate any more 3G devices, starting then, and I keep waiting for a similar announcement from ATT, it's gotta' be coming...

There's either going to have to be a fundamental shift, or Prepaid will have "better service" than Postpaid, it's pretty much going to come down to that, strange times...

Verizon, while they haven't opened up VoWiFi (yet), are allowing pretty much any "capable" Android device to use VoLTE, which is a step more towards the "open TMobile model", a step in the "right direction"...

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 y前

Sure wish everyone was as astute as wd8chl.  I agree 1000%.  A landline is a MUST for all homeowners.  I have seen instances (in Texas) following extreme weather/floods/hurricanes where nearby cell site(s) were down, usually due to NO onsite backup generator or an inoperable unit due to some kind of failure, e.g. runs out of diesel, etc.  And, for clarification, just like wd8chl, I am speaking ONLY of the old school, Ma Bell "POTS" (Plain Old Telephone Service).  POTS is the only thing to have for truly reliable home phone service (landline)....   

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

3 y前

Pots is going to be going away.  Costs to much to upkeep and the infrastructure is aging more and more each day.  They will go-to fiber before long.

ACE - Sage

• 

98.7K Messages

3 y前

@HARRYCALLAHAN 

57% of homes no longer have a landline.  And of those landlines, no data on how many are VoIP, like ooma and magic jack.   People are not willing to pay $40 a month for a home phone line that just collects Robocalls. We live in Mobile existence in the 21st-century.    I was put on the phone at my dentist office recently. After I hung up I realized I hadn’t spoken on a landline to anyone in six years.   

Unless one runs a home business and requires a connection that way because cellular is not good, I don’t see any reason to have a landline.

QuarryRye

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

3 y前

@HARRYCALLAHAN wrote:

POTS is the only thing to have for truly reliable home phone service (landline)....   

You know what's even more reliable? The telegraph. For that matter, everyone should communicate through the post office, not email. Never seen an envelope and paper crash like those fancy computers. And by post office, of course the most reliable method of delivery is by horse, not those fancy cars that run out of gas and break down.

ACE - Sage

• 

98.7K Messages

3 y前

@QuarryRye wrote:

@HARRYCALLAHAN wrote:

POTS is the only thing to have for truly reliable home phone service (landline)....   

You know what's even more reliable? The telegraph. For that matter, everyone should communicate through the post office, not email. Never seen an envelope and paper crash like those fancy computers. And by post office, of course the most reliable method of delivery is by horse, not those fancy cars that run out of gas and break down.

Sarcasm becomes you.  😄

Back in 2011 and 2012 (yes, 2 years in a row, on Halloween both times) Connecticut was hit by October hurricanes coupled with a sudden cold snap.   The resulting snow storms took out wires, trees, blocked roads, and made a huge mess which for some people lasted as long as two weeks or more. We lost power and cable service, including phones in 2011 for 12 days, and in 2012 for five days.   Both times all cable, including our phone service was down for the full time. We survived quite well with our cellular service. Not only for communication but for entertainment.   So no one system is perfect, and land lines are not a guarantee of service.  

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

3 y前

Yeah, POTS lines are/were great, for reliability, partly because they were powered by the line itself, and not the normal "utility power".  
VOIP can be the same though, the ISP and other (in-house) infrastructure just needs to "catch up", that point, really.

Plus, like @lizdance40 says, we don't have be "tethered", always. I've bike-toured into some pretty remote places, even some recently, and been without mobile service for long periods, and really I couldn't care-less, for the most-part, sometimes I think it's a good thing to "unplug" for a bit...

There are only two full-on guarantees in life, by my count, and cell service is none of them (this is only life/death, NOTHING else implied) ;-]

I like having our Ooma/VOIP, still.  It gets a VERY consistent call-quality, almost all digital (i.e. VoWiFi or VoISP, essentially), whereas my cell can still come/go, in terms of call quality, even in the best areas (we don't have any ATT WiFiC "allowed" phones, which might improve that, or likely would).

It's nice to use our home number for "random contact info", where you suspect your number might get "leaked" anyway; we probably get 80% of our robo/spoof/sales calls (even though we've been registered on DoNotCall for MANY years), on that line, instead of our mobiles (but mobile is definitely on-the-rise, in terms of these "unwanted calls", bummer...).

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

3 y前

My concern with the 3G shutdown is with regard to foreign travelers coming to the US and having their own phones roam on the AT&T network.  I want to ask:

1. Will AT&T finally support phones with native VoLTE and VoWiFi capabilities (i.e. those that are not AT&T-branded)?  It will be a big problem for foreign travelers if AT&T will still only provide VoLTE and VoWiFi on iPhones and AT&T-branded Android phones.

2. Will the 850 and 1900 MHz bands currently used in AT&T's 3G network be refarmed to LTE as bands 5 and 2 respectively?  Band 5 (850 MHz) will be especially useful for roaming, as many phones sold in Asia support LTE band 5.

ACE - Sage

• 

98.7K Messages

3 y前

@Delcat13Tay wrote:

My concern with the 3G shutdown is with regard to foreign travelers coming to the US and having their own phones roam on the AT&T network.  I want to ask:

A very valid concern and I’ve mentioned it.  AT&T is the carrier most people use for roaming and if they buy a sim for local service.  

1. Will AT&T finally support phones with native VoLTE and VoWiFi capabilities (i.e. those that are not AT&T-branded)?  It will be a big problem for foreign travelers if AT&T will still only provide VoLTE and VoWiFi on iPhones and AT&T-branded Android phones.

Agree it’s a potential problem.  We don’t know and AT&T won’t say.  New unbranded android phones are seeing VoLTE, some of them, not all.  Anything made to work in the USA and under a year since release are seeing VoLTE.  However, AT&T is playing games.  I had VoLTE on 1+ 6t, then the 1+ 7 came out and I lost it.  

2. Will the 850 and 1900 MHz bands currently used in AT&T's 3G network be refarmed to LTE as bands 5 and 2 respectively?  Band 5 (850 MHz) will be especially useful for roaming, as many phones sold in Asia support LTE band 5.

At&t already has LTE bands 2 and 5. I have no idea how that’s going to work.

If a phone is sold for Asia, and doesn’t have US approval and lacks bands 12/17, it’s not going to work on AT&T once 3g shuts down.  

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

3 y前

Sounds like a concern from Geekdom lol
pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

3 y前

Yep, @singleabman1963 , that's sort of accurate, except that it's becoming a "general customer issue", because of the lack of ATT "support", in this area.

As @lizdance40 mentions, some/most recent phones will/might work, but ATT isn't publishing "a list", and seems to be on the "RCS ultra-slow/late-track", which would fix ALL of this, ultimately...

ACE - Sage

• 

98.7K Messages

3 y前

@pgrey  Figures AT&T would drag it out.  Like an all day dentist appointment.  At least Verizon has been very definitive.    

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

3 y前

@lizdance40 Yep, Verizon, TMobile, Sprint, Fi, ALL the other (major) carriers have published definitive, inclusive lists now.

AT&T "stands alone", with no list, and no way for customers to know here...

How in the world does someone "traveling to the US" figure this out?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

3 y前

we wouldn't expect them to come over here and drive their horse and buggy
on an interstate would we?
Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.