Everyone gets our best deals on every smartphone - Black Friday gift deals are still here!
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
quadriped's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wed, Apr 17, 2019 7:27 AM

When is 3G being shutdown?

I have a 3G ZTE Z222 of which I'm fond.   My friends with Sprint have been notified of an imminent Sprint 3G shutdown. I searched that topic on this forum and found that my phone will be good till 12/2012 or "such time as there is a national shutdown."  I need something more specific as flip-phones are getting scarcer by the week, and the only 3G flip-phone offered by AT&T right now is, bluntly, junk.   How imminent is a national shutdown?

Constructive

Employee

• 

29.9K Messages

3 years ago

@warfase1  im am so under utilizing my phone

pgrey

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

3 years ago

@Constructive Yeah, me too, I thought I had "my share" of IoT stuff (several "sequenced/combined", using IFTTT), but it sounds like @warfase1 is making us all look like troglodytes, by comparison ;-]

@warfase1 That's pretty cool, the way you've "embraced" the tech, way beyond most, you should "document it", for others who are "differently-abled", it's inspirational!

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for the reply, my greatest concern is that when I'm dead and gone, I
have created a nightmare for my wife and kids.
pgrey

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

3 years ago

@warfase1 Yeah, I have the same deal, our whole hose is basically an "SMB solution, from the router, to the switches - including the primary/edge ones, and all my SMB APs, for wireless", not to mention the "twisted mess of IoT that exists today, unfortunately, with very little "industry unification" out there.

I think our daughter would learn it, if she had to, and would grow to understand/manage it, but for now, I'm the "sole admin", despite my attempts to give a "show/tell" type of deal to the family ;-]

I'd bet this is true for a LARGE percentage of households out there, pretty much all of them with more than a basic "modem/router/WiFi singular solution"....

AToGoP

Scholar

• 

160 Messages

3 years ago

(I wonder why the forum software decided to spotlight this thread to me.)

Anyway, why limit yourself to the phones the carriers sell?
There is a wide variety of 4G flip phones on eBay and Amazon ( https://amzn.to/2IxV8zE ) for under $20.

ACE - Sage

• 

101.8K Messages

3 years ago

@AboutToGoPostal wrote:

(I wonder why the forum software decided to spotlight this thread to me.)

Anyway, why limit yourself to the phones the carriers sell?
There is a wide variety of 4G flip phones on eBay and Amazon ( https://amzn.to/2IxV8zE ) for under $20.

1.  That doesn’t mean they work on At&t.

2.   At&t has been stuck up about VoLTE.   It will work on iPhones 6 and newer (no 5 or 5s).  It will work on at&t branded Samsung, LG and select other at&t branded androids running marshmallow or newer OS, and Pixel 3/3 xl.

Older androids, like Note 3 or S4 won’t work. 

AToGoP

Scholar

• 

160 Messages

3 years ago

Ok.  I don't think that's reason to spend $180 on a flip phone, so I'll restate:

Why limit yourself to the phones the carriers sell?
There is a variety of 4G flip phones on eBay and Amazon for under $20 that work on AT&T.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.5K Messages

3 years ago

That flip phone will have to support volte on att to work in the next 6'months.   In January you can no longer activate 3g devices that don't do VoLTE.  So when you say 4g do you mean LTE or the 3.5g att calls 4g?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

Sorry my friend but an old obsolete flip phone doesn't have what it takes
to keep up with me. I may be in wheelchair but when it comes to technology
there's no grass growing under my feet well my one foot anyways ;>) read my
previous and you'll understand why.
Thank You for your time,

James H

ACE - Sage

• 

101.8K Messages

3 years ago

@AboutToGoPostal wrote:

Ok.  I don't think that's reason to spend $180 on a flip phone, so I'll restate:

Why limit yourself to the phones the carriers sell?
There is a variety of 4G flip phones on eBay and Amazon for under $20 that work on AT&T.

No, they won’t.  AT&T will not allow them to get Voice over LTE because At&t can’t install the software on them to enable it.  

AT&T provides only 2 flip phone options at the moment.  The ‘junk’ for $60 that the OP is complaining about, and a very good Sonim flip for $189 and a 3 year warranty.  No other manufacturer of phones offers more than 1 year unless you buy a plan.    The Cingular flip might last 2 years if you don’t expect much.  The Sonim probably will last 6 years +.   Amortized, the Sonim is the Best Buy. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.