Pre-order the New Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 & Galaxy Z Fold4 and, for a limited time, get twice the storage and a free case!
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
quadriped's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wed, Apr 17, 2019 7:27 AM

When is 3G being shutdown?

I have a 3G ZTE Z222 of which I'm fond.   My friends with Sprint have been notified of an imminent Sprint 3G shutdown. I searched that topic on this forum and found that my phone will be good till 12/2012 or "such time as there is a national shutdown."  I need something more specific as flip-phones are getting scarcer by the week, and the only 3G flip-phone offered by AT&T right now is, bluntly, junk.   How imminent is a national shutdown?

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

3 y前

@lizdance40 wrote:

Finances being front and center:   I’ll play a little devils advocate.  

1.  Wait until At&t says you can’t use your current phone.  They offered free phones when 2 g was shut down.

And false economy?

2.   Why keep 2 services?   Close to 60% of Americans do not have a landline, White pages are passé.  The cost of a landline has become unreasonable.  You can port your landline to cellular and have one service cheaper than you are paying now for 2.  

The cheapest landline offer for local service only around me is $15 a month, but usually companies want $40, and your paying $8.33 for emergency cell service, if your paying on time, you have buckets of credit on your account you aren’t using. 

@lizdance40 

I am trying to figure out the unlimited number cost.  I pay 33.64 per line on my account with tax for unlimited plus.  I also write off my line and the data bucket charged to my line as a business expense.

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

3 y前

@lizdance40  Just to note, Ooma (and many other VOIP services) are quite a bit cheaper (than the dedicated home phone services), my "home phone" is ~$6/month (not including the base unit cost).

Obviously that's assuming you have a wired (or similar) ISP, but I'd bet most people looking at this have some sort of access at home?

When you break it down, that $15-40 is pretty steep, given that (almost all) the providers are, in most cases, simply adding a VOIP solution on top of their data pipe, the same as Ooma.
Obviously if we're talking about a real "land line" that's purely copper-based (to the box anyway), it's going to be more (if you can even get it, the areas with this service are getting pretty far-few-between), but I'd bet this is a REALLY small percentage these days.

@GLIMMERMAN76  We pay about 60/line, with taxes, that's a screaming deal you have there!

ACE - Sage

• 

98.7K Messages

3 y前

@GLIMMERMAN76 

I write off every penny of the Verizon prepaid, and 1/5 of the family data and the tablet line access as business expense.  With both carriers expense added together, about $200 for 6 lines, So I pay $33 per line.   35 gigs of data between the plans

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

3 y前

I'm going to jump in here and no I don't work for Att I'm just bored and came across this blog while looking in to the veteran discount. The convenience alone is almost reason enough to upgrade but the services are getting better I don't think of it as a money grab, the service is getting better the technology is improving and that costs money. Someone said they just bought a GPS for the car. IMHO that's your business but the fact is it will need to be continually updated as roads and infrastructure are constantly changing. Eventually they will stop updating the particular GPS that you bought and it to will be phased out. It's much more economical to just maintain one device when the updates are free anyway. Not to mention a cellphone now days is more than just a communication device, it is literally a personal assistant. I'm in a wheelchair with severe nerve damage and have limited motion in my arms. My cellphone no matter where I am in the world turns on and off my lights for me. It opens, locks, and unlocks my doors, and yes even my garage doors. It starts my coffee brewing. It dictates my grocery list and lets me know when I'm out of something. It lets me know if I left the garage door up, or if I left a door open. I can use it to close them, adjust my thermostat and even view my mobicam cameras live or record from them directly to my phone. It does all of this when I'm home away or even in another country My cellphone is my personal assistant.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

3 y前

­

Constructive

Employee

• 

28.7K Messages

3 y前

@warfase1  im am so under utilizing my phone

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

3 y前

@Constructive Yeah, me too, I thought I had "my share" of IoT stuff (several "sequenced/combined", using IFTTT), but it sounds like @warfase1 is making us all look like troglodytes, by comparison ;-]

@warfase1 That's pretty cool, the way you've "embraced" the tech, way beyond most, you should "document it", for others who are "differently-abled", it's inspirational!

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

3 y前

Thanks for the reply, my greatest concern is that when I'm dead and gone, I
have created a nightmare for my wife and kids.
pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

3 y前

@warfase1 Yeah, I have the same deal, our whole hose is basically an "SMB solution, from the router, to the switches - including the primary/edge ones, and all my SMB APs, for wireless", not to mention the "twisted mess of IoT that exists today, unfortunately, with very little "industry unification" out there.

I think our daughter would learn it, if she had to, and would grow to understand/manage it, but for now, I'm the "sole admin", despite my attempts to give a "show/tell" type of deal to the family ;-]

I'd bet this is true for a LARGE percentage of households out there, pretty much all of them with more than a basic "modem/router/WiFi singular solution"....

Scholar

• 

160 Messages

3 y前

(I wonder why the forum software decided to spotlight this thread to me.)

Anyway, why limit yourself to the phones the carriers sell?
There is a wide variety of 4G flip phones on eBay and Amazon ( https://amzn.to/2IxV8zE ) for under $20.

ACE - Sage

• 

98.7K Messages

3 y前

@AboutToGoPostal wrote:

(I wonder why the forum software decided to spotlight this thread to me.)

Anyway, why limit yourself to the phones the carriers sell?
There is a wide variety of 4G flip phones on eBay and Amazon ( https://amzn.to/2IxV8zE ) for under $20.

1.  That doesn’t mean they work on At&t.

2.   At&t has been stuck up about VoLTE.   It will work on iPhones 6 and newer (no 5 or 5s).  It will work on at&t branded Samsung, LG and select other at&t branded androids running marshmallow or newer OS, and Pixel 3/3 xl.

Older androids, like Note 3 or S4 won’t work. 

Scholar

• 

160 Messages

3 y前

Ok.  I don't think that's reason to spend $180 on a flip phone, so I'll restate:

Why limit yourself to the phones the carriers sell?
There is a variety of 4G flip phones on eBay and Amazon for under $20 that work on AT&T.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

3 y前

That flip phone will have to support volte on att to work in the next 6'months.   In January you can no longer activate 3g devices that don't do VoLTE.  So when you say 4g do you mean LTE or the 3.5g att calls 4g?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

3 y前

Sorry my friend but an old obsolete flip phone doesn't have what it takes
to keep up with me. I may be in wheelchair but when it comes to technology
there's no grass growing under my feet well my one foot anyways ;>) read my
previous and you'll understand why.
Thank You for your time,

James H

ACE - Sage

• 

98.7K Messages

3 y前

@AboutToGoPostal wrote:

Ok.  I don't think that's reason to spend $180 on a flip phone, so I'll restate:

Why limit yourself to the phones the carriers sell?
There is a variety of 4G flip phones on eBay and Amazon for under $20 that work on AT&T.

No, they won’t.  AT&T will not allow them to get Voice over LTE because At&t can’t install the software on them to enable it.  

AT&T provides only 2 flip phone options at the moment.  The ‘junk’ for $60 that the OP is complaining about, and a very good Sonim flip for $189 and a 3 year warranty.  No other manufacturer of phones offers more than 1 year unless you buy a plan.    The Cingular flip might last 2 years if you don’t expect much.  The Sonim probably will last 6 years +.   Amortized, the Sonim is the Best Buy. 

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.