Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
stlsailor's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, December 20th, 2017 9:56 PM

Closed

What are AT&T's LTE Bands?

My current understanding of the LTE bands is as follows:

**MAIN BAND

12 –700 MHz Lower B/C/A. This is a superset of band 17, so band 17 is not required if band 12 is available in the phone.

**ADDITIONAL CAPACITY

2 – 1900 MHz PCS, provides bandwidth in many markets; 25 is a superset of band 2 but 25 is not required for some reason

4 – 1700/2100 MHz AWS, provides bandwidth in many markets

5 – 850 MHz CLR, the main band for areas lacking 700 lower B and/or C blocks

29 – 700 MHz Lower D/E – supplemental downlink bandwidth only; implemented in key markets

30 – 2300 MHz WCS, provides additional bandwidth in many markets

**OTHERS

40 – not sure if this has been implemented yet

66 – AWS, asymmetric favoring download speed, which is being implemented by AT&T now. Band 66 is a superset of band 4.

14 – Public Safety, 700MHz. Can also be used for commercial traffic but will have less priority. I do not believe it has been implemented yet, and don’t expect it matters if a phone bought today has it.

**QUESTION

If I buy a Samsung unlocked Note 8, it will lack bands  29, 30, and 66 found in the AT&T version of the Note 8.   It appears that I would still get connection availability in all markets even without these 3 bands since they are used for additional capacity. Does someone know if this is true, and how widespread use of these 3 bands is?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@karan1981 wrote:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

"You will not get any advanced features"

What advanced features are we talking about here?

"and may not get LTE without first registering a SIM card with an At&t branded android"

How easy is to do this, any link where how to do this process is mentioned. FYI I used At&T prepaid card.

Wifi calling is the big one and voice over LTE.  As for the sim not registering that is on the OEM as they use junk IMEI numbers that show up as 3g only.  What phone do you have now?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Wifi calling  and voice over LTE are very imp. Dint realize these wont work.

I have oneplus 5t, but its touchscreen stopped working last week and it looks like hardware issue as I have already flashed couple of times.

Wanted to buy something different as I already had been using 2-3 models of oneplus before.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Sorry I dint understand this:

Wifi calling

Does this means whatsapp calls, google duo calls, skype calls? Wont I be able to make these?

voice over LTE

Does this means using whatsapp, google duo, skype calls over LTE/3g wont work?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@karan1981 

no it means all calls you make will be on the 3g network.  What your talking about are apps and are not true wifi calling or Volte.  Wifi calling is using your number to call.  Since you have been using non att branded android phones you have never had it anyway.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

So does this mean if I have b17 not b12 that wouldn't matter because 17 has b12 in it? 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Spunhard69l0l wrote:

So does this mean if I have b17 not b12 that wouldn't matter because 17 has b12 in it? 

Bands  17 and 12 are interchangeable.    Older phones will usually say 17, newer ones are listing just band 12. It is the same 700 block spectrum 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.