Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
stlsailor's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, December 20th, 2017 9:56 PM

Closed

What are AT&T's LTE Bands?

My current understanding of the LTE bands is as follows:

**MAIN BAND

12 –700 MHz Lower B/C/A. This is a superset of band 17, so band 17 is not required if band 12 is available in the phone.

**ADDITIONAL CAPACITY

2 – 1900 MHz PCS, provides bandwidth in many markets; 25 is a superset of band 2 but 25 is not required for some reason

4 – 1700/2100 MHz AWS, provides bandwidth in many markets

5 – 850 MHz CLR, the main band for areas lacking 700 lower B and/or C blocks

29 – 700 MHz Lower D/E – supplemental downlink bandwidth only; implemented in key markets

30 – 2300 MHz WCS, provides additional bandwidth in many markets

**OTHERS

40 – not sure if this has been implemented yet

66 – AWS, asymmetric favoring download speed, which is being implemented by AT&T now. Band 66 is a superset of band 4.

14 – Public Safety, 700MHz. Can also be used for commercial traffic but will have less priority. I do not believe it has been implemented yet, and don’t expect it matters if a phone bought today has it.

**QUESTION

If I buy a Samsung unlocked Note 8, it will lack bands  29, 30, and 66 found in the AT&T version of the Note 8.   It appears that I would still get connection availability in all markets even without these 3 bands since they are used for additional capacity. Does someone know if this is true, and how widespread use of these 3 bands is?

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

6 years ago

The A3 would be a 3G phone.

Actually I had a Samsung galaxy alpha, except for an extremely poor battery life and low screen resolution it was a well-built phone and I liked it very much. The fact that it was small, was at the time, a benefit. I finally knuckled under and sold the phone last year, I still kind of miss it. Had Samsung ever gone ahead and  released a marshmallow update for it it might’ve been worth keeping with improved battery usage. But because it was stuck in the dinosaur age of lollipop OS, that little 1850 Battery lasted half a day at Best. 

That said, there are a lot of other phones out there to choose from at a bargain price, I would suggest you go to Best Buy and look at the unlocked phones available for sale.

[Trying to figure out how to attribute the quote to LizDance40]

The A3's lower price is attractive, but my issue is finding a compact phone that I like. There's the Redmi 4x, but for some reason I'm just averse to it. Sony has a few models (and is releasing a beast of a compact flagship in the next few weeks), but the standard capacitive-button placement drives me batty.

I really like Samsung, but have no idea whether they're releasing anything in the 4.7"-5" range this year. The A3 has the same amount of RAM as the S3 I got in 2012, which is ridiculous. If it doesn't even tap into the network's capacity, though, that's a serious letdown.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

6 years ago

@QuickQuestion1  Yeah...go look at what Best Buy has on the shelf.  Once you in the A3 size range it’s not much different from the Samsung GS6 or GS7.  2 phones that actually work well.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@prglor wrote:

What is your opinion of the Xiaomi mi A1 phone and how good would 3G, $G and LTE be for it?  The model I am considering has the following set of bands:

Networks Supported: 4G FDD-LTE B1/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B20 TDD-LTE B38/B40 3G WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz 2G GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz 

@prglor

it would make a nice 3g only phone

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@QuickQuestion1  Yeah...go look at what Best Buy has on the shelf.  Once you in the A3 size range it’s not much different from the Samsung GS6 or GS7.  2 phones that actually work well.  

@lizdance40

yelp size wise the s8 is small compared to a s3 s4 or s5...  @QuickQuestion1  I would quit looking at overseas phones because most times they may never or you have to jump threw hoops to get LTE working if they actually have ATT's LTE bands.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the reply.  That's what I was suspecting and this is OK with me.  I do very little accessing the internet using my data.  Do a modest amount using my wireless router at home.  Lack of 4G LTE won't affect my speed using my home wireless network, will it?  Plus I do have a Verizon jetpack that I can take with me on trips to access the internet.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

i am a noob and hope you readers can give me good advice!

i'm thinking of buying a Huawei 20 Pro for use in the USA, per its camera quality. I understand the Huawei will not work with CDMA, so i'm thinking of switching to AT&T, since it is GSM and apparently ranks #2 (behind Verizon, my current carrier) in coverage in CA.

It looks to me like the Huawei P20 has 'pretty good' coverage in the 3G and 4G bands - see italics below. I infer that means I'd get pretty good service in both urban and rural US (limited of course to where AT&T has coverage). Do you readers agree?

Projecting out a couple of years, as 5G gets built-out in the US, and other trends occur - do you think I'm liable to experience greater frustration with the Huawei P20, in the US?

Huawei P20 Network:

4G FDD-LTE, TD-LTE: B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B6/B7/B8/B9/B12/B17/B18/B19/B20/

B26/B28/B32/B34/B38/B39/B40

3G WCDMA: B1/B2/B4/B5/B6/B8/B19

Thanks!

wynned@losrios.edu

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

seeking help - comparing Huawei P20 and ATT  domestic USA bandwith:

i'm a newbie at this stuff and seeking advice.

am thinking of replacing my iPhone6s/Verizon with Huawei P20Pro and AT&T, per the P20's better camera, and per ATT's GSM service, since Verizon's CDMA apparently is not usable to the Huawei P20.

here's the P20 bandwidth info, copied from Huawei website.

3G WCDMA: B1/B2/B4/B5/B6/B8/B19.

I am mostly in urban CA, but sometimes rural areas. In CA, Verizon & ATT support nearly identical geography.

>> Do you readers believe I'd experience nearly comparable service with the Huawei/AT&T, as with my iPhone6s/Verizon? (After reading the postings above, I realize that understanding existing bandwith & trends in it, are a complicated topic!)

>> Do you think that over an estimated 3 years going forward, I'm likely to experience increasing frustration (for example, as 5G comes in, since Huawei doesn't update Android as often, as Huawei and the feds keep disagreeing, etc.), with this move?

thanks very much!

D

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@rockbeater11 wrote:

i am a noob and hope you readers can give me good advice!

i'm thinking of buying a Huawei 20 Pro for use in the USA, per its camera quality. I understand the Huawei will not work with CDMA, so i'm thinking of switching to AT&T, since it is GSM and apparently ranks #2 (behind Verizon, my current carrier) in coverage in CA.

It looks to me like the Huawei P20 has 'pretty good' coverage in the 3G and 4G bands - see italics below. I infer that means I'd get pretty good service in both urban and rural US (limited of course to where AT&T has coverage). Do you readers agree?

Projecting out a couple of years, as 5G gets built-out in the US, and other trends occur - do you think I'm liable to experience greater frustration with the Huawei P20, in the US?

Huawei P20 Network:

3G WCDMA: B1/B2/B4/B5/B6/B8/B19

Thanks!

wynned@losrios.edu

it will work but your going to have to play musical IMEI numbers to get LTE to work.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

thank you for responding. can you please help me understand?

i infer that every so often i'd experience something like a Denial of Service perhaps in connecting to a new tower and I'd have to enter my 16-digit IMEI? Is that a simple or many-step pain-in-the-rear process? Would you guess this would happen every time I travel into an area I haven't been to for a while?

is the issue specific to LTE as a subset or forebearer of 4G or probably all 4G?

thanks,

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

thanks for the reply. i'm a noob, and i don't think i understand the implications.  sorry!

do you expect i'd need to supply IMEI nearly every time I entered a new or not recently entered area?

would the 'must supply IMEI' condition occur 'anytime entering a new area' - including tower to tower to tower (etc) handoffs when in a car or moving quickly?

how complex is supplying an IMEI when connecting in a new area? it it - as simple as entering a 16-digit password - or are there several steps involved, and some 'non-instantaneous seeming' steps/waiting-periods? I.e., am I looking at a 25 second process, or a more like a 2-minute process?

thanks!

would i have to enter my IMEI anytime i was connected via a band or equipment that wasn't really 4G, but was instead the LTE or, are you using the terms synonymously, and it'd be anytime I was communicating to 4G - i.e., I'd run into this a lot?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.