For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
guitargainey's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Monday, October 26th, 2020 1:25 PM

Upgrade to Iphone 12 with $800 Credit

I have been with AT&T for almost 20 years. Overall I am fairly satisfied with the service over the years.  However I am getting a little put out over the last couple years.

I have two lines on my account.  I have an iPhone 11, and an iPhone XR.  I am interested in trading them in for the iPhone 12 promotion that gives $800 credit.  I can see the plan online along with everyone else in the nation.  It says for new and existing customers.  It says that you can add a line or upgrade an existing line to get this deal.

I had a question that I wanted to ask about it and chatted this morning, the chat agent couldn't answer the questions and suggested I call the customer loyalty department.  I called and spoke with an agent and he couldn't even see the promotion or agree that it was real.  The only trade in deal he could see is the $300 credit for new line of service.

Called back again and got the same answers.  I am sure there are those that will say there is nothing wrong with this, but it's very frustrating to have to call AT&T 20 times to (a little exaggerated) get an answer and spend 4 or 5 hours on the phone.  It just makes no sense to me that Customer Loyalty cannot see a plan that is offered online at least to answer questions about it. 

If this was a one time thing I would not be posting this, but it's been that way for the last several years every time I try to upgrade or need questions answered.

AT&Ts service has degraded in my area quite a bit over the last several years, and I would consider switching to Verizon, but I understand their customer service isn't any better.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

Ok, I think I understand what you want to do. You plan to buy a model that costs more than $800. You want to pay the difference and only put $800 on the installment plan. Yes, they should be able to do that. That is basically the same as putting down a down payment. However, I would be leery of doing anything they can mess up.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

So what’s your question? Sad to say but you’ll likely get a more accurate answer here from other customers than from customer support. 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

3 years ago

you might try going into an at&t store

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

3 years ago

I did go to an AT&T store today, it's not always very convenient since the nearest store is 40 miles away.  The question was if I upgrade to the iPhone 12 128 gb, I realize I will have to pay the sales tax and the activation (unless I can get it waved) but was also wanting to pay the small amount that will be added to my bill each month for 30 months.  I think it's less than $2 a month per phone (could be a little more)but I would prefer to just pay that all at once along with the sales tax so the bill stays the same, and we get the credits each month for the 30 months. I was told in the store that I could indeed do that.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

Actually the store is going to cost you money.  You have to pay those payments for 30 months to get the free phone cancel or leave the balance of the phone is due.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

3 years ago

Glimmerman76, not sure what you are saying.  I know what the deal is, I will get the credit for 30 months.  What I want to do is go ahead and pay my part of the cost up front instead of $1 and change every month.  How is the store going to cost me money?  Just called and spoke to the manager at the nearest store to verify what I was told at the other store.  She told me I very well could pay the excess that wouldn't be covered by the credit up front and they could even order it and I can trade in my phone right there at the store.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

I do not trust the stores to get it right just like Sandblaster was saying.  For the little amount you would be paying a month I would not worry about it.  I have seen offers like these get messed up at the store because of sales folks not getting it.  I also get not wanting to raise the price of your bill.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

3 years ago

sandblaster, Got the info from two different stores.  The one I will probably go to to do the deal has never lead me wrong yet.

Glimmerman76, thanks for the info but my experience has been the opposite.  I have had way better info and experience in the store than I have online.  I am sure there's a first time for everything though. :)

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

3 years ago

Pulled the trigger today.  I was gonna do it at a store but since my wife and I are out of town and AT&T corporate stores are nonexistent nearby where we are I got antsy cause I was seeing where the deal is probably going to change on the 6th with only a $700 credit instead of $800.  Anyhow I did it as suggested by y'all and did it online.  I did however call AT&T customer service to ask if there was any way I could pay the $50 per phone ofer the $800 trade in credits and they said no, it has to be on an installment plan blah blah blah.  So I asked if he was saying that I could pay that even in the store and he said no he didn't know why the store at home told me that.  I will say again though that I have dealt with this store quite a few times over the years and they have never lead me wrong and always did what they said they would do.  But the difference will only cost me $3 and some change per month for both phones so no biggie.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.