Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
rugmankc's profile
rugmankc
#1 Star!
Supersonic 25!
Celestial 50!

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Thu, Oct 9, 2014 9:44 PM

Upgrade phone but still keep it?

I am on the Family Talk Nation 550 Rollover. I have two Galaxy S4 smartphones and an LG clam shell brought over from TMO 18 months ago. It is the only phone eligible for 2 year contract upgrade where I could get a phone ouside the Next Program. I want to get an iPhone 6+ using that phone as an upgrade. Is there anyway to do that and still have my wife keep that phone. We pay 135 a month with 6gb data split equally btwn the 2 S4's. My S4 could be turned in to keep only 3 phones on acct.

Responses

White_Hat

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

6 years ago

I would say not only can you do the upgrade, but there would be no need to turnin the S4.  Put it in a drawer for when a phone dies, or sell it.

WH

rugmankc

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

6 years ago

The upgrade would entail keeping the old LG clamshell from TMO. Wife wants no part of smartphones--lol

But she would like to keep the same number on it, when all is done and over.

Is that what you are saying. Sorry, to be so dumb. But, to date except for the last two S4 with ATT, I have always bought phones outright. 

And, yes I can do well selling the S4--

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

46.9K Messages

6 years ago

Upgrade eligibility is not based on the phone, it is based on the line regardless of what phone is being used on that line. Regardless, you are not required to turn in any of your phones. The only reason to do so would be to get trade in credit.

It sounds like you want to upgrade the line with the dumb phone and switch it to another line, then continue using the dumb phone. That is known as swapping upgrades and is doable but I highly suggest you do it at a corporate store to avoid several issues such as data plan for the upgraded line and needing to get new SIM cards since the iPhone has a different size sim than the other phones.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question