Trade In and Get Rewarded!
Auburn14's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sun, Nov 10, 2019 3:54 AM

upgrade eligibility for a Family plan member using own phone

I was added in family plan of a relative 3 years back. But I have been using my own phone since the start.

Am I eligible for an upgrade offer ? As per my understanding, only those who initially got an ATT device, are covered under upgrade.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

54.2K Messages

2 y ago

Upgrade eligible only means you can buy a phone on a Next plan. There are no upgrade offers, phones cost full retail price whether you pay up front or pay in installments. You can buy a new phone anytime you want. If your line has never done a Next plan, I’m sure it is eligible.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 y ago

I am talking about the normal upgrade, not the next plan.

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.5K Messages

2 y ago

There is no thing as a normal upgrade anymore. All phones are sold at retail price. You can pay up front or finance with no interest through Next plan.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

2 y ago

@Auburn14 wrote:

I was added in family plan of a relative 3 years back. But I have been using my own phone since the start.

Am I eligible for an upgrade offer ? As per my understanding, only those who initially got an ATT device, are covered under upgrade.

AT&T has basically phased out contracts (upgrades for cheaper phones) when they ditched the older minute plans and went to data plans (which generally were cheaper) and switched to full price phones like the rest of the industry has.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

54.2K Messages

2 y ago

@Auburn14 wrote:

I am talking about the normal upgrade, not the next plan.

A Next plan is the normal upgrade. They don’t do 2 year contract discounted phones anymore and haven’t for over 3 years now. If you call and ask for retention, they might offer a 2 year contract discounted phone but those aren’t available online anymore.

ACE - Sage

• 

90.4K Messages

2 y ago

We should add that the upgrade with discount through retention may not actually be cheaper.  If your plan is 3+ years old and line fees contingent on remaining out of contract, you may cause the bill to go up.  As The sample noted in the photo

D6DD3C1A-10F8-49A9-81E9-66DA5DC0C2F9.jpeg

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.