Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
H

• 

9 Messages

Saturday, February 12th, 2022 12:22 AM

Unable to upgrade phone without an unlimited plan?

I have been with AT&T for few years and I have one of the grandfathered Mobile Share plans. I was trying to get a phone upgrade through Best Buy with AT&T installments and kept getting this error at the last step in the check-out process where it asks you to accept AT&T terms:

I also went to a Best Buy store and the associate who helped me had the same error. He advised me to call AT&T to check why this error is occurring. 

When I called AT&T the CSR told me they no longer do upgrades on the old plans and I must upgrade to an unlimited plan (which I don't need) to be able to upgrade. Since when is this policy in place? If the CSR is right and AT&T is trying to force everyone to pay up for services they don't need, I'm probably going to another carrier. 

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Thank you, @sandblaster - you are correct, it is the projected bill. 

1 Message

8 months ago

This is true. I've been with AT&T for 39 years. I have tried and I got the same response, you have to take the unlimited plan to upgrade to a free phone.  Totally not fair if you are on a budget and do not want to spend more money when not needed. Rip off, time to change carriers. By the way, I got this straight from AT&T, the AT & T store  and Best Buy.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 months ago

Sure all carriers are requiring a unlimited plan for the deals.  What do you expect the phone is never actually free.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

8 months ago

@ToniQ67 

This is true. I've been with AT&T for 39 years. I have tried and I got the same response, you have to take the unlimited plan to upgrade to a free phone.  Totally not fair if you are on a budget and do not want to spend more money when not needed. Rip off, time to change carriers. By the way, I got this straight from AT&T, the AT & T store  and Best Buy.

And if you switch to Verizon or T-Mobile you have to be on at least a mid-priced unlimited plan in order to get a deal. Their base unlimited, equivalent to AT&T's unlimited starter does not allow phone deals.   

Service providers aren't providing these deals on phones, which by the way is not free, out of kindness

The purpose is to tie you to the service provider for an extended period of time on a more expensive plan so that they still make a profit...it's a limited rebate if you provide a trade-in phone, or meet all of their other qualifications, and it's over the entire period of your installment which will be on your bill every single month for that entire term.

If you think the other service providers or any different from AT&T, they aren't. The only thing that might be different is coverage.   

Other service providers offer a free trial of their service for a limited time with a throwaway number. You might want to try it for free and see if the coverage is any good before you switch. We find T-Mobile to be abysmal. And Verizon has significant issues with congestion that cannot be explained.  

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.