AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!
M

• 

4 Messages

Sat, Sep 19, 2020 12:52 PM

Transferring ESim

I can't find my original esim card and need a QR code to transfer service to a new device.  I went into the AT&T shop in Newport as directed by a call centre agent but they've not had cards for two weeks and don't know when they're coming in.

Surely I can be emailed a QR code?  Alternatively, do any of the shops have cards in stock?  Is there a way of setting up service without a QR code?

Otherwise, I think my alternative is to transfer my service to another provider.  Thank goodness my existing phone is working so I'm not losing service but I'm guessing others aren't so fortunate.

Mark

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.5K Messages

a month ago

I can't find my original esim card and need a QR code to transfer service to a new device.  I went into the AT&T shop in Newport as directed by a call centre agent but they've not had cards for two weeks and don't know when they're coming in.

Try another store.  

Surely I can be emailed a QR code?  nope

Alternatively, do any of the shops have cards in stock?  The community is a customer populated forum, we don’t even know what state you’re in.  This is where google is handy.  Search AT&T stores, then call or go there.

Is there a way of setting up service without a QR code?
No

Otherwise, I think my alternative is to transfer my service to another provider.  Thank goodness my existing phone is working so I'm not losing service but I'm guessing others aren't so fortunate.

Or get a physical sim for your phone.  It’s unlikely your phone is esim only.     (The only eSim only phones On the market are the new Razr folding smartphone by Motorola, the new 5g version, which isn’t sold by AT&T yet.)  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

a month ago

Thanks.  Good point on sharing location ;-) and I’ve been calling the other shops - seems to be a widespread issue.

Yes, I have a dual sim phone but I use the micro sim slot for a UK sim - I’m a UK national living and working in the US for two years - so converting from e-sim to physical isn’t a good option.

Google Fi looks like a good option for me but hoping that I can turn up a shop with stock to avoid the pain of moving to another provider.

Thanks

Mark

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.5K Messages

a month ago

What phone is this you're trying to use?  Based on your description I suspect that your phone is not going to be capable of working in the United States.

Google fi doesn't accept all phones, you have to have one of the phones that they find acceptable.  It's highly unlikely a dual SIM UK phone will be allowed, because it won't work.   

Unless you have a pixel or iPhone, nothing else is At&t compatible or esim capable.  

In the near future, you'll need to replace the phone. 

T-Mobile will be kicking out anything that isn't voice over LTE capable.  I don't know that they will allow esim on an outlyer phone. 

All US carriers are shutting down 3g.  Your phone has to be VoLTE capable on a US network or it can't be used.   T-Mobile may Allow the phone with a physical, but they are kicking out phones in early 2021.  AT&T is kicking out no later than 2022.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

a month ago

THanks for your advice.  I've got a Pixel 4A provided by my employer and needed to get onto that from my current iPhone XR.  After a really frustrating call round of AT&T shops, I couldn't fine an eSim card so, in the end, swapped the physical SIM from iPhone to Pixel and transferred my number from AT&T to Google Fi - it took around 15 minutes.

I always make a point of buying phones which can be used on any country network (or at least so far as I can establish that's the case) so no problem there.

AT&T need to make eSim switching easier as they left me with no option but to move away from them to another provider.  I worry for thos folk whose eSim phones break down with no physical SIM to swap.

Cheers

Mark

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.5K Messages

a month ago

Pixel uses a nano SIM.  Everything uses a nano SIM these days.  When you wrote micro sim you sent up red flags. 

• 

4 Messages

a month ago

Ah, I see.  Lack of attention to detail on my part ;-)

All up and running now so thanks to all for their input.

Get started...

Ask a new question