Trade in promotion NOT honored. ATT claims I sent in wrong phone model but will not confirm what I agreed to send. Message says "TBD"
I recently got engaged and wanted to add my now fiancée's phone line to my ATT plan. She was previously part of a family plan on T-Mobile. I timed this on 6/4/2020 to take advantage of the trade in and port over phone promotion to get a $700 credit (in the form of monthly credits) to my account, once I:
1) Ported over a line from another carrier to my plan - from T-Mobile to ATT
2) Purchased an eligible smartphone - 256 GB iPhone 11 Pro
3) Traded in an eligible smart phone - a pink 32 GB iPhone 7
I completed all the steps as advised and even had an online agent walk me through the purchase/trade in process via ATT support chat. I sent in her phone after it was factory restored using the trade in shipping materials provided. The phone was confirmed received by ATT on 6/25 or so. I understand that the promotional credits could take 2-3 billing cycles to complete. I checked up on the status of my credits today after I had not seen them applied to my account.
I spoke/chatted with a number of different agents who all said that based on the information provided ie, my trade in confirmation number that I did not send in the correct phone model for trade in. Confused, I asked to confirm what model I had agreed to send in but they were unable to tell me.
The exact status update from the trade in website reads:
Apple iPhone 7 32GB
Wrong phone model - you entered Model TBD - Other but phone was actually iPhone 7 32GB
I am confused as to how:
1) ATT does not know which phone model I agreed to send in. Nor could they confirm the model for trade in I had selected when purchasing the iPhone 11 Pro to have this credit applied towards. All they could tell me was that "Model TBD" was selected. I must have chosen an eligible model for trade in, otherwise I would not have received confirmation on the order page that I would be receiving the $700 credit once details were confirmed. ATT claims this information would be in the email with my trade in confirmation number but I have been unable to find anything related to what model is applicable here in said email.
2) Even in the event that I did choose the wrong phone model to send in on the original order page, the 32 GB iPhone 7 is an eligible model for the $700 credit to be applicable to my account. I should be receiving this credit either way, assuming the phone was in sufficient condition. The phone had no issues when I shipped it and met the criteria .
Instead of helping me resolve/investigate the issue or request more information, I was only provided a $60 ATT promotional card which is obviously less than the $700 credit I was expecting. Even then, the fine print of the promotion says I would be eligible for the $700 credit so long as the phone minimum trade in value was $60 which it appears it was.
ATT / Other Forum Users - has anyone else had this problem and found a resolution for it? I do not want to accept this credit for $60 when the whole point of me purchasing the phone on the promotion was to get $700 instead.
My current ideas for remedy are: report this to the Better Business Bureau and/or file a small claims suit in NY vs ATT.