Trade In and Get Rewarded!
Yugi006's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Oct 15, 2015 8:43 AM

Trade in phones apparently lost in mail

I recently upgraded two phones on my account. I received both phone but after following the trade in return instructions and dropping both packages to the post office two weeks ago, I have yet to receive a conformation email stated the phone were received.
Instead I get a text msg that they are still waiting for the returns or I will be charged for the remaining balance owed on both phones.
I called and spoke to a rep that told me there is no way of tracking the phones and they can't prove I even sent the phones to be returned. I failed to get a conformation via post office for my personal tracking ( At&t issued a free return label for shipment), however I was given in the box with my new phones a return label to apply to the boxes I mail my return phones. I have never had an issue with any other company returning and product in the same manner I returned these phones. Yet some how my packages just disappeared. I need some help in locating my returned phones because I refuse to pay approx 300$ for two phones I returned that magically disappeared. The trade in service is a great idea but is useless if there's no way to confirm delivery. Even if I had a conformation number the fact still remains I never received notice of these packages returning to destination in over TWO WEEKS. SoMeone please help me?!?

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

6 y ago

Hello @Yugi006

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been unable to track these device; I’d be glad to look into this further for you.

Did you possibly copy the Newgistics tracking number printed on your return shipping label?

Please send me a private message including

• Your name
  • Wireless numbers that were upgraded
  • Best time to reach you

We will contact you within 2 business days.

Thanks,

Michelle

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 y ago

I am in the same predicament and don't know what to do I am so angry that AT&T is the one that sent that prepaid return slip--yet they do not keep reference of the tracking numbers??? This is a communications company!!! I was just informed that I will be charged $357 if my phone is not received I will drop AT&T if this happens. I have been a customer of theirs for 12 years. Have you had any resolution yet?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 y ago

This happened to me as well extremely frustrating I sent back my iPhone on October 8th and my bill just spiked by 300+ saying that I didn't return my phone. I don't have my tracking number anymore as it was almost 2 Months ago I sent it !!! I've been talking to att for the past couple days and just keep getting the run around. Does anyone know how to fix this ???

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 y ago

This has also happens to me as well. They contacted me one asking if and when I returned the phone. And of course it was a computer that I had to answer the questions by pressing certain numbers. It went about 2 weeks and I never heard back from att so I assumed everything was received on their end. Until I had a $619 charge to my account. When I call, the rep did tell me they are able to track the device by the imei number. But in order for them to track it the phone had to be on. Now, I'm not certain if it will record the last location while on, or if they can only see the location when it's on. Either way, They were able to try and trace it while on the phone with me but apparently they couldn't find any information. They did however, waive the $619 charge for me. Which is the ONLY good thing I have to say about att right now. I have been lied to, or should I say misinformed, several times in the last couple months. And because of it, there is a good chance that they will lose a long time customer. I've been with att for about 12 years now and it's a shame bc we have been paying a $400 bill for years and they will let me walk because they lied to me.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 y ago

This happened to me as well. AT&T does not have a good return shipping system for their loyal subscribers. I was charged the whole price of the phone. None of the agents were able to help me with the concern. This was back in Dec 2014 when I sent back my iPhone 5S. I followed the instructions. I felt in no way protected as a loyal PREMIUM client. Instead I was charged the phone value. #feelingrobbed

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 y ago

Hi Yugi006... I have the same problem with 3 Sprint iPhone 6s I sent to ATT as part of a program they are running to get new customers.

I sent the 3 iphones back in a single box with the USPS label ATT provided... and ATT somehow lost the phones along the way.

For your issue, did ATT ultimately credit you for the phone you sent in?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y ago

I shipped my iPhone 6 almost two weeks ago using the packing materials ATT sent me. I have a tracking number. The package arrived at the shipping location but USPS didn't deliver because the business is closed. USPS was supposed to redeliver the package that Monday, but after a week it has not been delivered. I callled ATT about this and they said to wait and it will probably be delivered. I'm not sure, the post office doesn't seem diligent about this. Could it have been stolen?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 y ago

I'm going through this now.

I took advantage (more like was taken advantage of) of September's iPhone 7 promotion; trade in a good condition iPhone 6 and you get the iPhone 7 (32GB) for "free".  The phone is on the NEXT plan, but AT&T makes the payments for you.

Received the iPhone 7 on October 15, then returned my PERFECTLY GOOD, EXCELLENT CONDITION, *PAID OFF* iPhone 6 using the box they sent the 7 in, and the shipping label that was in the box.  I was told that I would see 1 or 2 bills with a charge for the iPhone 7, but then would get credited for those months and no new charges going forward.  Given the holidays and all, I looked at my bill today and am STILL getting charged for the 7.  

I spent an hour and 44 minutes with customer service today where I was told "sorry, can't do anything for you".  "Do you have your tracking number?  No?  Sorry, can't do anything for you".  I asked them why THEY wouldn't have a copy of the tracking number since AT&T generated the shipping label.  You better believe Amazon knows EXACTLY where things go.  But not AT&T, oh now.  Yes, my mistake for not having tatooed the tracking number to my forearm, but I would expect more from AT&T.  The supervisor was able to find the IMEI number for the iPhone 6 that I sent back, and verified that the phone (the 6) had not been used since October 15, the same date that I activated the 7.  The phone has not been in use since.  Apparently that's not enough.

So in the end it was thrown back to me.  I was told to try and trace the package through USPS or UPS (I can't remember how it was shipped back), even though I don't have a tracking number.  They said that UPS or USPS can "reverse track" the package by my return address.  yeah, right.

So as of now, I am out a PERFECT condition, PAID OFF iphone 6, AND am paying for an iPhone 7.  Nice.  Thank you for NOTHING AT&T.  Way to treat a customer since 1997.  Yup, 20 years with them and this is what I get.

I need to find a way to get this out there to more outlets, maybe I'll get a better response then "sorry, nothing we can do for you".

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 y ago

I am in the exact same situation and have been trying to get this resolved since November. Except I traded in 2 iPhone 6 phones that AT&T now refuses to locate, even though I have the tracking number AS WELL AS the serial number of both phones. I am actually getting ready to disputed this with small claims court. I can't even believe that customer service let it get to this point. I wouldn't recommend AT&T wireless to anyone.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 y ago

Same is happening to my wife and I right now.

Phones packaged as instructed and dropped in to Postal Box on May 2, 2017.

No sign of the phones, soon to be charged $800/phone!

Been a customer for quite a while without any payment problems from our end.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

I've had a similar issue in that both my wife and I upgraded our iPhones in June.  We returned the phones separately in the packages provided along with the AT&T provided shipping labels.  My wife's phone was received 9 days later, however, mine appears to have been lost.  I've made several calls to AT&T customer service to no avail, never getting the same answer twice.  I've been told to go back to Best Buy as well as the AT&T store, both of whom direct me back to AT&T customer service.  Two months later and I'm now being billed over $900 for a phone that was never worth that much new, let alone after a year's worth of monthly payments. Unfortunately, after 2 months I no longer have the tracking number, the USPS is unable to help and I don't feel that I should be paying for a phone that I have returned.  I have given the RMA # and IMEI # to AT&T on several occasions to no avail.  Is there someone at AT&T that can truly help me instead of running me in circles and telling me that I'm outta luck?  We've been with AT&T for almost 20 years with multiple services, but I'm beginning to reconsider staying.  Please help!

Thanks.

ACE - Sage

• 

90.3K Messages

4 y ago

@Milhouse6 wrote:

I've had a similar issue in that both my wife and I upgraded our iPhones in June.  We returned the phones separately in the packages provided along with the AT&T provided shipping labels.  My wife's phone was received 9 days later, however, mine appears to have been lost.  I've made several calls to AT&T customer service to no avail, never getting the same answer twice.  I've been told to go back to Best Buy as well as the AT&T store, both of whom direct me back to AT&T customer service.  Two months later and I'm now being billed over $900 for a phone that was never worth that much new, let alone after a year's worth of monthly payments. Unfortunately, after 2 months I no longer have the tracking number, the USPS is unable to help and I don't feel that I should be paying for a phone that I have returned.  I have given the RMA # and IMEI # to AT&T on several occasions to no avail.  Is there someone at AT&T that can truly help me instead of running me in circles and telling me that I'm outta luck?  We've been with AT&T for almost 20 years with multiple services, but I'm beginning to reconsider staying.  Please help!

Thanks.

I still have counter receipt and tracking for a phone I mailed in March.  Yeah, it was received, but I don't trust USPS or anyone else.   That little slip is vital.   This being a community forum, we have no power to help.   All I can tell you is you needed documentation to prove you sent in the phone and tracking to find it.  

As for the charge back, it cannot be $900 on the old phone.  If you made half the payments on the phone you would be billed the remainder of payments.  Unless they are billing you for the full amount of the new phone, which is easily that much.  Read the bill to see which phone you are being charged for.   

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

I am in the same predicament. I sent a new iPhone 7 to At&T and they say
Never received it. You call the numbers they ask you to call they have rude representatives
Who do not know what they are doing. Very brave hang phones on
You and transfer you without any explanation. This is the first company I have used
Their return label that never received a package. I think it is a scam.
They generated the labels themselves. I am not done I am reporting this to better business bureau
And still going to follow with At&T. I went a million times to the store and they refused to take the phone but insisted I mail it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

I felt like I was the only one. Oh man. I have pages and pages of emails, texts, phone call transcriptions, recordings of in-store visits etc.. and STILL no credit given. I mailed in my 6+, and they "never received it". I have fought with them for a year now. As a 2 decade customer, I really felt like I would have gotten this resolved. Nope. In fact, I have 4 different levels of managers and directors promising a resolution, and then nothing. I am just sick every single month when I pay that ridiculous upcharge for my "free" 7+. The 6+ was mine out right. I have never leased a phone. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

It has to be the mail carrier. We all followed the exact same process and the X factor is the second person in the chain or custody. They know what’s in those boxes when they see them. 

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.