Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
M

• 

1 Message

Fri, Oct 2, 2020 9:43 PM

Trade in device mailed to wrong return address

Hello, 

Appears I sent the device back in the box that my new note 20 ultra arrived in. Shipping materials were provided with no clear instructions so I padded up the box, wiped my trade in device, put it in a zip lock bag and sealed it with the tape provided and applied the shipping label that was provided as well. 

Fast forward a couple of days I find this email saying they will provide separate shipping materials. 

I am confused and now I am wondering if I sent a mint condition $850 phone into the void. 

Trade in portal is useless, I hope this grabs the attention of someone who can actually help me instead of getting bounced around automated phone lines and out of country reps who don't understand what a USPS package intercept is. 

Speaking of which, I did try to do a USPS Package Intercept and the return tracking was not eligible. 

I have photos of everything as well. 

Thanks

Responses

• 

4 Messages

a month ago

I am in this situation as well. The first AT&T rep I spoke with was very helpful. I ended up dropping a UPS package off at a USPS drop box. So realizing my mistake within 48 hours, I was hopeful that I could intercept the package before it was sent to UPS. Unfortunately the post office was rather quick in handing this one over to UPS & it is now somewhere out there being delivered or is sitting in that warehouse it was addressed to. I called Hyla last week, the first rep suggested I call them, the rep I talked to from Hyla needed the IMEI number so then I got transferred to another AT&T rep who was able to provide me with the IMEI number but I think I needed to call Hyla back? I'm not sure. That's what I did though, that was a mistake, the rep I got from Hyla this time said they only help employees?? The first guy I talked to was going to help me, somehow I got sent to the wrong dept. today. I just sent an email to the trade-in portal. 

• 

9 Messages

25 days ago

Crap.. I did the same thing.  Any update on this?  I took a picture of the shipping label I used, USPS tracking cannot locate the number.  I hope ! am not screwed out of $800 trade-in credit, plus never recovering my working trade-in iPhone

• 

1 Message

18 days ago

I did the same thing on two phones.  Anyone was able to get resolution on this?

• 

3 Messages

17 days ago

i tried getting a resolution... so far nothing.. there's gotta be a known solve for this.. seems like a common problem when you include INSTRUCTIONS with the box...

• 

3 Messages

17 days ago

theres gotta be a way to solve for this... or perhaps a (Edited per community guidelines) (Edited per community guidelines)... seems a bit unethical to include a shipping label to your phone with no instructions and expect customers to not mail their trade in with those labels.

(edited)

• 

1 Message

14 days ago

I did the same thing. I have reached out to ATT on the trade in portal, called the number listed and sent an email begging for assistance but ATT refuses to respond. Obviously, ATT has several of these complaints which showcases they are negligent in their trade in process. 
It’s ATT’s responsibility to give us a course of action or to return our phones. 

• 

2 Messages

13 days ago

Add me to the list. Why do I stay with this company. It appears I am burned again. 

• 

1 Message

10 days ago

Having the exact same issue. Has anyone been able to resolve this problem? 

• 

1 Message

10 days ago

Add me to the list.  I discovered the problem fairly quickly.  I have contacted the trade in line twice which is not an easy task.  Both times they told me they will escalate it and I am not the only one with the issue.  I received an email asking for all sorts of information which I have everything they need and more, however I have not gotten any response.  If anyone finds anything out I sure would love to know.  

• 

1 Message

9 days ago

Add me to the list. I have tried to call the trade in number and get disconnected every time.  tried sending multiple emails but they must be floating around in the void with my phone. I guess that's what I get for trying to be punctual sending my trade in back to them.

• 

1 Message

5 days ago

Add me as well.. and bear with me here, this post is long, but I hope it will help some of you. Same thing happened to us so right now we are out $1600. ATT used to send in their trade in mailers with the new phone and Verizon still does this. It sounds like ATT has created a loophole which they deliberately choose to keep open. They stand to gain thousands of untraceable phones and effectively customers lose out on their trade in credit. I’ve attempted to call the trade in department and have not been able to even speak to a physical person. I searched online and it appears that this issue has been rampant since 2019 and yet ATT hasn’t chosen to remedy it. In one of the forums, someone had reached out the the BBB, and got a response fairly quickly from a gentleman named Scott Simms who works for the Office of the President of President of Customer Care. I submitted to the BBB and I encourage you all to do so as well, but as of today, I’m still waiting on a response. My other two options, as this does not sit well with me are contacting a local news media outlet to uncover this scam and file a class action lawsuit. You only need 7 people for this to happen but I’m sure there are many many more out there. They are deliberately making this confusing, and stand to gain thousands of untraceable phones and thousands of $$ in lost trade in credit. Reach out to me by email if you would like to join a class action suit. Yarabodi1@gmail.com

.. and ATT if you are reading this, you may want to get in touch as well. Could save you a whole world of trouble and embarrassment in the next few months. 

edit 11/23 @ 11am:

I spoke to someone named Brendan at the trade in department and explained the whole situation. He mentioned that the reason for long wait times and the reason why the system says you have XX minutes and the minutes jump all over the place is because they are so busy with this one specific problem, that the system can't keep up. He went on to say he has spoke to upwards of 50 customers just today about this same issue. He then went on to say that he he is submitting this issue to the tier 2 team who will reach out. I explained to him that other forums have spoken of this tier 2 team and have never heard back and asked him if this is just some response he was trained to give. He mentioned that the email that originates from tier 2 usually ends up in junk mail and this may be why people feel that they haven't heard back. 

He assured me that they know exactly where the phones are. There are in a warehouse in Fort Worth Texas and due to ATT policy they are not allowed to send phones back. (how convenient for them). He assured me that our old phones would be rerouted to the correct warehouse somewhere in Illinois. (which seems strange to me as the bubble mailer states La Vergne, TN. Maybe there's a separate warehouse for these misrouted phones)

So as of now, I am waiting on the BBB as well as a response from tier 2. Will hopefully update soon. 

edit 11/24:

Received a call from the Office of the President of Customer Care. She appeared engaged in the issue and apologized and had gone so far as to mention that the bubble mailers were indeed usually packaged into the box the new phones came in but recently something changed for what ever reason, causing this confusion, and that they are working to fix this. 

(edited)

• 

1 Message

5 days ago

Same issue with me. Only way I got a hold of someone is calling 611, having them make the call to the trade-in group and then patching me in. When I finally got through (55 mins), I provided my IMEI number of my old phone. I also responded to the e-mail from the ATT-Tradein. 

Sounds like this could take months before my old phone is located and credited to my account....If this issue continues for any longer than that, legal action may be necessary. 

• 

3 Messages

5 days ago

I was advised by att to use the label that had no directions why it was in the box. To use it for my trade in.  My phone like everyone else’s phone was mailed to the wrong dept and I’ve been calling for weeks.  I did however file a complaint with the BBB and got a phone call from the corporate office.  I suggest everyone file a complaint with the BBB and call your local district attorney office. Mine already had 95 complaints with the same issue from this month alone. 

• 

3 Messages

4 days ago

Add me to the list.  I emailed back with IMEI number which I had to call Apple support person.  I haven't heard back from trade in dept.  I wasted so much time on this. 

• 

2 Messages

4 days ago

Me too. I spoke to tradein support, they raised a ticket with details. I got an email asking for info and since then no updates. I have 2 of my devices ( i.e 1600 $ credit)

Get started...

Ask a new question