Trade In and Get Rewarded!
The_Chemist's profile

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

Friday, February 27th, 2015 3:13 AM

Swap a phone with a different size SIM card.

I would like to own more than one phone and periodically swap it out on my single line/same number.  (use different devices one at a time at will on my single line).  For instance, I currently own a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and am thinking about purchasing the new HTC One M9 when it becomes available and maybe even a Nexus 6. 

My Note 4 uses a micro SIM card.  Both the Nexus 6 and HTC One M9 use a nano SIm card.  I can't just take my current micro SIM card out of the Note 4 and place it in the other two devices because it is too large.  I don't want to cut the micro SIM down to size and definitely don't want to use a SIM adapter to fit the nano SIM into theNote 4.

My previous cell provider made it extremely easy to swap phones.  I had 5 different phones on my account and all I had to do was either hit the "Activate this phone" key on the device itself, or go the the cell provider's web site and chosse the option to "Swap a Phone", then choose the device I want to activate, and hit activate.  This process would deactivate the old device and activate the new device.  So easy!!!

I have been searching and cannot find an easy way to acomplish this on AT&T.

Am I missing  somethng?

If all my devices used the same SIM card size, I could just exchange the SIM card from device to device, but I can't find a way to keep all the devices I wish to purchase on my account and activate them one at a time on my single line at will.

It just can't be this difficult!

Any help would be appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hello! @The_Chemist   thanks for posting your concerns.

I can understand your reluctance about using SIM adapter or cut a SIM down. At this time we do not have the option to swap from one SIM to another and back again. For security purposes, anytime you activate a new SIM card on your line, it disables the prior SIM and makes it unusable. At that point to go back to the phone you used before would require you to get a new SIM.

Charise

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

9 years ago

I know what you mean, as my former carrier was also, easy to switch phones online.
I purchased my own phones for a couple of years, it was easy.

There are things my previous carrier didn't do well, like using voice and data at the same time.

Your only option is to get a new sim card each time you switch phones. Pain in the neck.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the reply.  I appreciate the answer. 

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks lizdance40.  I think we both had the same previous carrier.  I do love the at&t coverage in my area, which was not so great from my previous carrier.  I'm glad I made the switch to at&t.  Guess I'll just have to look for a spare phone that has the same SIM card size. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have the same predicament.  The requirement to buy a new SIM and start a new account is totally unacceptable.

Now, I FULLY understand why AT&T Prepaid Service is rated next to last (i.e., next to the absolute worst) in the February 2016 Consumer Reports.  

But, you should be proud of something, AT&T.  You are slightly better than Sprint!

You have lost my business.  I will take my phone number and loyalty to your competitor.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

8 years ago

@PatriotVetUSA

You are misinformed.  Unless you let your Gophone account lapse for more than 90 days, your number is still active.

ATT will provide you with a FREE replacement SIM card and move you balance and number at any ATT corporate store.  Authorized retail stores charge for this service.

since my earlier post I have purchased a sim cutter and adapter kit from Amazon for $8.  I switch my SIM card between 2 phones all the time.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

How much to get a new sim? I bought a new iphone off ebay and need a new sim. Is activation easy? No extra fees besides the new sim right?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

8 years ago

@Willianton

If your current SIM card will not work or is the wrong size, you can get a free replacement at an ATT corporate store.  Just bring the phones in and they can set you up.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

You can also just get a sim adapter kit for around $6 on Amazon

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

get a new nano sim card from att,,,free..buy a nano to micro adaptor on amazon or ebay .about

$3.00    if need buy a nano to full size adaptor....doubt you will need that size...when you need a

micro sim card place nano sim card in adaptor....place in phone....

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.