Announcements
Learn how you can get the iPhone 13 now!
K

• 

3 Messages

Tue, Jul 21, 2020 9:05 PM

Scam?

I just received an email from AT&T that their network is no longer compatible to my device and I must upgrade. First off, this email to me sounded fishy. There was odd letters and numbers in the email address line. With this ongoing pandemic unfortunately you have to be very careful what's real and not a scam. Is this legit or no?  My phone is over a year old, an Android S10e. Thanks!

This conversation has been merged. Please refer the main conversation:

Notice that our mobile phones will no longer be supported

Responses

• 

6 Messages

1 y ago

I had the same email.  I confirmed my phone supports 4G and HD voice, which is what ATT said was needed.  There are many more phones than what they list that support both 4G and HD voice.  Someone is either lazy, or lying.

• 

5 Messages

1 y ago

The email said in 2022 3g not be supported.  AT&T needs to clarify details of this email.  I am not going to buy a new phone just to keep using AT&T service.

• 

2 Messages

1 y ago

This information has been really poorly communicated, but it's not a scam. See this article on att.com.

The change isn't happening until February 2022, however.

It's pretty tone-deaf to urge people to buy a new phone during an economic crisis. It's also worth noting that many of the affected phones (such as my Nokia 6.1) support HD Voice; AT&T just hasn't bothered to whitelist them.

I hope AT&T will make things better by:

- Clarifying that affected devices will continue to work through February 2022.
- Allowing all devices that suport HD Voice to use those features on the AT&T network.
- Updating the "Bring Your Own Device" page to clarify these restrictions.

• 

9 Messages

1 y ago

@omgcoffee You typed "...It's pretty tone-deaf..."

It does seem like a pretty big gaff on ATT Customer Support's side, especially given that ATT has a VERY important and widely anticipated earnings and conference call happening, like, TOMORROW thus probably doesn't want any extra BAD publicity anytime around that - ESPECIALLY since it's coming from THEM!

Good grief.

I have to echo what the poster above said - the "Upgrade or die!" email was literally badly formatted - unusual for an ATT email - and was essentially content-free - one had to follow links to get any more info. When I foolishly tried to follow a link it broke anyway, reinforcing the thought that the email was bogus - however, these forums are screaming that the email is REAL and MANY people are saying "Wh-wh-wh-wh-what!?".

[my brand-new forum ID is "BellWirelessUser" because the forum software wouldn't let me be "ATTWirelessUser"...lol!]

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

1 y ago

Is ATT going to kill off roaming partnerships with foreign carriers then? They may be able to strong-arm their customers into buying a new phone, but they can't control what device a tourist brings with them.

(edited)

• 

5 Messages

1 y ago

AT&T got lot of press and heat about this email.  They acknowledged that it could have been worded better. 

My Iphone 5, which they said on their list couldn't do 4G and would not be supported after February 2022, shows "LTE" on the screen.  I thought LTE was a sorta 4G (sub)standard.  Guess if it quits working on the ATT network won't have to deal with the spam calls anymore.  Might be kinda nice.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

52.6K Messages

1 y ago

@Rc2020 It’s not just LTE. Your phone needs to be able to do voice over LTE or VOLTE. For iPhones, that means a 6 or newer. An iPhone 5 is not VOLTE capable.

New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.