Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sun, Nov 13, 2016 8:27 AM

Open Nat Type On Phone Hotspot

Hello, ive been trying for awhile now to achieve getting an open nat type on my ps4 while using my Iphone and sony xperia Z5 premium's hotspot. I tried many things to change my nat type from 3 down to 1, but never worked. Can someone tell me what i could do to change my phones hotspot nat type to Open? Thank you.

Responses

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

2 years ago

@m_stallings wrote:

I'm not sure what you are suggesting.

Rather than enabling UPNP, which may not even work on MF279, you say to get a real NAT device, when the ZTE MF279 (ATT wireless internet) is a modem that kindly gives me a carrier grade NAT. 

Not sure if it is symmetrical or cone or whatever, but it is carrier grade for sure.

Then you say to double NAT.

This is going in the wrong direction.  I'm trying to get two PS4's working through the carrier grade NAT when ATT blocks the ports and won't allow port forwarding or DMZ.

This is why I aksed if UPNP works on the MF279 or is it disabled?

Yeah, I'm not sure what version they're using either, but if you look at how the "carrier grade NAT" handles IPs, I sure wouldn't want any of my network exposed on one, directly.

I guess there are probably different "carrier grade NATs" out there, which is another issue, I suppose...

Even IF they have UPnP enabled on that modem, and it manages to set up the forwards, how in the world is the NAT tracking whose "port 80" (just an example) is whose, on the shared public IP?  

This is probably why they won't allow manual forwards to be configured, it'd make a HUGE mess of it, not to mention totally hosing any real security, for everyone on that NAT/IP.

There's also the port forwarding tool, presumably provided by AT&T for this type of work (probably using some type of tunnel to implement), but I've never used it, I only had heard note of its existence, a couple of times...

Having your own router, behind the modem, seems to me like the safest method, by far.

I'm no network expert, but I've written some relatively simple NIC security tests, back in the day, and a lot of the security core constructs *seem* to be more or less the same.

On the other hand, I could be way off base, and not be understanding something new about this design, but that Wiki is pretty telling, if you ask me...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I and so am hearing that the hotspot router is too slow to operate effectively. I don’t know that from personal experience. I am afraid to dish out more money on fixes that don’t work. Still looking and reading...

Get started...

Ask a new question