Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sun, Nov 13, 2016 8:27 AM

Open Nat Type On Phone Hotspot

Hello, ive been trying for awhile now to achieve getting an open nat type on my ps4 while using my Iphone and sony xperia Z5 premium's hotspot. I tried many things to change my nat type from 3 down to 1, but never worked. Can someone tell me what i could do to change my phones hotspot nat type to Open? Thank you.

Responses

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

2 years ago

You might try putting the XBox TEMPORARILY into a DMZ, on your router.  This assumes you know/assume the risks, of placing any device into a DMZ, in general, and know that you need to manually manage any firewall issues, etc.

If this works, then you can probably fix it by cleaning up your port-forwards; i.e. something probably isn't right there.  

I'm (mostly) past my "gaming years", and fortunately have good wired ISP options, but either way, if I was still doing this, I'd probably be trying everything, to avoid doing this over mobile.

Doesn't the latency (and jitter) make this somewhat "less than usable"?  Not to mention when a tower gets loaded or something, it must lag like crazy?

I could see why cell providers are "shying away" from this, and potentially making it "not so easy", it's gotta' be tough to provide enough low-latency bandwidth for very many people doing this, in an area, depending.  The consistent-inconsistency would probably generate a ton of support issues, too.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

2 years ago

I'm not sure the "solution", that's a bit older now, is still an "actual solution", given that the update is getting stale, compared to the newly reported issues.

@whitekim777 Either way make 100% sure you're setting the DNS to some fixed-public DNS, on BOTH the router and the device (XBox), such as 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 (just an example of a pretty good one, run by that "G" company ;-]).

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I tried setting My DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. I also don't own an xbox. I game on a Desktop computer. Another thing, Would I be able to open up my NAT with a static ip vs using a dynamic ip currently? Someone told me it could be a double NAT problem as well.

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

2 years ago

Did you set it on the PC, manually, as well?  
The PC, in most cases, will be set up to get the DNS from your router, but not always, it's an easy check "ipconfig /all".

Yeah, a static NAT would *probably* fix this, because they can put the IP in a DMZ, for you.  Some of the same risks are involved though, in terms of the firewall, this article talks about it in a pretty straightforward way:

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1846475-Double-NAT-Type-resolved!-Xbox-one-Forums

This is kind of a hack though, IMHO, and is going to be tough to "scale" for a lot of users, it really should get fixed by the provider.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

hiya, ive been trying for awhile now to gain getting an open nat kind on my ps4 while the usage of my Iphone and sony xperia Z5 premium's hotspot. I tried many things to exchange my nat type from three down to 1, but never labored. Can a person tell me what i could do to trade my telephones hotspot nat kind to Open? thank you.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

From what I've read online, AT&T uses "NAT Type D" which makes it unable to be open, regardless of what settings you use. As far as I understand, the only way to get an Open NAT using AT&T hotspots/phones is to have an AT&T Business account.

If you do some Googling with NAT Type D, you may be able to find some workarounds. From a quick search, I read that one guy changed his preferences to use 3G instead of LTE and it improved his NAT.

@pgrey -gaming over tethering is actually just fine most of the time. There are occasionally ping and jitter issues - obviously varying on where you're located and network congestion - but it hasn't been bad enough to make me use another solution. And even though it needs a low latency connection, it's a much lower bandwidth demand than things a lot of users want (e.g. streaming video).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

SOLUTION RESOLVED!!!

Switch to Verizon. No NAT type issues there. If you already have multiple lines like I do, it is much cheaper and better coverage. I’ve had att (back in Cingular days) for over ten years now and couldn’t be happier to switch. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Same here, I have tmobile and can game online with my iphone hotspot, same device but with at&t and I cannot. And the ATT phone gives off triple the MBPS so it isnt about speed, it is just that ATT does not really care yet to listen to us that we need them to find the real problem, not just say "oh its cause you cant game off a phones hotspot" umm yeah i cant YOU cant.

David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

2 years ago

It all depends on the software itself. I play plenty of PC titles over hotspot no problem. Battlefield 5, FIFA 19, Diablo 3...

Console online needs to start using centralized servers instead of this lazy P2P setup. Because AT&T uses carrier grade NAT meaning that you are stuck behind a firewall and cannot port forward or get open NAT. It's a technical limitation of the network and it probably won't change. The Netgear Nighthawk got an update for online gaming but it is the ONLY device that can do so.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Ok yeah I hear ya but I’m just talking about Super Smash Bros Ultimate on
the switch for this example.

Ok so I can play it no problem off my tmobile iphone hotspot (I get Nat
type B, and then ill try it again with My other iphone that has at&t
tethering and get a type D nat error. Note: I am testing this in a outdoor
place where I get great cellular service for both phones that I am using to
tether.

See where the problem is here David? Works with one phone company
(T-Mobile, and from what i have heard also with verizon) but not with AT&T.
My question is if T-Mobile and Verizon can get me to a Nat B state when I
game online, why am I stuck on NAT D with AT&T? Firewalls from AT&T
cellular are doing this to my at&t iphone? is that what you are saying?

Not trying to be a smart alec I am genuinely just trying to see what the
difference is from one network (the one that works to get Nat B) to the one
that I cant get NAT B with. Again all variables are the same except for the
variable of the phone companies (Tmobile vs AT&T)

Thanks!
David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

2 years ago

Apples to oranges comparisons.  What another provider does tech wise doesn't apply to another carrier. AT&T has chosen a different manner with how nat operates.  

AT&T uses carrier grade NAT to distribute IP addresses. It is never going to be a replacement for wired broadband. It is what it is. Nothing is broken because it's operating as designed.  The point at which ports are configured are not on the end users devices rather the network level.

So that boils down to what fits your needs. If another carrier can..... 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Just because it "Isn't boken" doesn't mean it can't be improved. This is true ESPECIALLY with technology, new protocols and technologies coming out every year (sometimes more frequent than that). If that were the case then AT&T would not have 4G LTE "Meh people can make calls and browse at 2 mpbs on their phones that's way better than rotary phones it isn't broken no need to go with 4G LTE lets just keep GSM" 

It is not apples to oranges. Because both companies are in the same industry. I am not comparing AT&T to Comed electric here, I am comparing AT&T to its COMPETITION...so no it is not apples to oranges.

But I think I answered my own original question of "if T-Mobile and Verizon can get me to a Nat B state when I
game online, why am I stuck on NAT D with AT&T?" It's AT&T has it setup so you have to buy another device to be able to open up UPNP, while with other service providers IN THE SAME INDUSTRY do not require this. Alright problem solved then. I'll start spreading the word to all my AT&T gamer friends and colleges and potential AT&T customers before they switch over just so they are aware of the anti-progressiveness approach that AT&T has because what they have currently "works"...(even though if you search the issue online you can see it is still a big ongoing issue for many PAYING customers) but okay that is fine. 

At least now I have an answer to it, it just can't be done because they current framework works and "Nothing is broken because it's operating as designed." It is just the console makers fault (even though other phone companies learned to work with them), AT&T wants to do things their own way and be different from the competition, even if they have to go to a route that is not working for anyone trying to get a NAT that is acceptable for online gaming. 

Thanks I got it now. 😃

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

UPNP works on the Nighthawk?

Does UPNP work on the ZTE MF279 (ATT wireless Internet)

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

2 years ago

@m_stallings I wouldn't do this, if it were me, I'd get a decent-cheap/whatever router, and use that as your "real" NAT/UPnP device, instead.  
I get that a double-NAT isn't ideal, but getting a bunch of IoT devices (or worse) compromised isn't a great thing, either.  

Even if this works, I bet you have a lot of intermittent UPnP problems, given the "carrier grade NAT" design (it's not exactly held in "high regard", in the networking world).

Even if the text is confusing (to some) on the Wiki, the picture is worth a thousand words, or more...

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

I'm not sure what you are suggesting.

Rather than enabling UPNP, which may not even work on MF279, you say to get a real NAT device, when the ZTE MF279 (ATT wireless internet) is a modem that kindly gives me a carrier grade NAT. 

Not sure if it is symmetrical or cone or whatever, but it is carrier grade for sure.

Then you say to double NAT.

This is going in the wrong direction.  I'm trying to get two PS4's working through the carrier grade NAT when ATT blocks the ports and won't allow port forwarding or DMZ.

This is why I aksed if UPNP works on the MF279 or is it disabled?

Get started...

Ask a new question