Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sun, Nov 13, 2016 8:27 AM

Open Nat Type On Phone Hotspot

Hello, ive been trying for awhile now to achieve getting an open nat type on my ps4 while using my Iphone and sony xperia Z5 premium's hotspot. I tried many things to change my nat type from 3 down to 1, but never worked. Can someone tell me what i could do to change my phones hotspot nat type to Open? Thank you.

Responses

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

You say it’s fixed but I still cannot play any online games on my Xbox. Why?

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

Yeah this is criminal. These phone plans are 4x more expensive than DSL and are more restricted and suddenly its "unusable" with xbox. Not to mention the fact that i have a perfectly fine phone line and no access to DSL, still haven't figured that one out yet. I've been with AT&T for 18 years and now they're doing this? Unacceptable, i'm already looking into other options but to no suprise nobody offers internet to my home. Across the street people have DSL and AT&T tells me its not availible here. Do i need to walk into a store and shoot 6 people to get somebodys attention here? They've lost a lifelong customer after this. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Any word on the att fix for this I'm having same issue from the same date with att mobile wireless internet. I've always had a strict nat never had an issue with online gaming with friends and know I cannot.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I'm having the same issue, I've always had a strict NAT but never had a problem with online gaming and chatting with friends on xbox until now. Hopefully something is done.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I've not been able to connect to any Xbox Live multiplayer services since the evening of 9/26.  We live out in the woods, and our only viable internet option is AT&T cellular.  We have a dedicated line in our household for data, connected to an AT&T hotspot device.  NAT type has always been strict, and never caused any problems before.  Additionally, I usually hotspot my gaming consoles to my iPhone so as not to compete with anyone else in the house using data on the other line, watching Netflix, etc. - again, strict NAT type.  I have tested this issue against both of these lines. 

I am able to log-in to XBL, make Microsoft Store purchases, and play local games.  However, multiplayer services are failing for me on my XB1 (GTA5 online, RDR online, Steep, Minecraft world invites), XB360 (GTA5 online, RDR online, Minecraft world invites), and Windows 10 (Minecraft world invites).

So... pretty sure its not my hardware, per se.

I read in this thread that AT&T may have made a change on 9/26 that is purposely causing this problem - specifically with regard to hotspots (??? !)

I pay decent money to Microsoft for my XBL service.  I pay a TON of money to AT&T every month to have "as-good-as-can-get service" in an area they deem too expensive to actually run lines (even though I'm not that far off the beaten path, and have probably paid enough over the years for them to run fiber to my house directly)...  Someone needs to get this sorted!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

So let me get this straight...  AT&T's accepted solution, to a problem that they seemingly caused, is to buy another $200 piece of AT&T hardware?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

What hardware is that?? Already pay enough a month for there not so good services. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

What hardware?...  The AT&T Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router  - described in the "Accepted Solution" post.

And honestly, I don't even know if buying THAT will actually "fix" the problem - which, let's remember, wasn't even a problem until a few days ago.

I_like_to_game

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Yeah this is ridiculous, I feel sorry for you Microsoft guys l, I can still use my ps4, but now I'm starting to feel like I'm next. Att you bollucks need to sort this out, I feel bad for these guys just because I'm a fellow gamer. But dont think I dont have issues as well. I cant even speak to or join most of my friends I just have to "get by" with what I've got.

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with AT&T on Saturday. After one representative directed me to Microsoft, which I knew was not the issue, but I called anyway. The Microsoft representative said that they have seen an increased number of people with AT&T hotspots calling in that week. So, I call back to AT&T and I talked to a second representative. The only thing I could get out of him was basically "these hotspots are really not meant for gaming" and "they are really starting to crack down on high usage accounts." He was also adamant that the issues were occurring because I had exceeded the limit of data before my speeds begin to get throttled, which is irrelevant because I have used the same amount of data for a year with zero issues. I could not get him to admit that my speeds were throttled more than normal, nor could I get him to admit that there was a change made that was affecting everyone on a hotspot. The only thing he would say is "if they made a change they haven't told us." How convenient?!

Moral of the story is, AT&T is back pedaling on offering unlimited data on these hotspots, and they have made a change to restrict connection types that come from an Xbox to prevent high usage. They won't admit it, but it has happened. I actually had to go buy a Roku to watch Netflix and YoutubeTV because it even messed that up for me.

I love that they will not spend the money to out high speed internet on my road, but they will disable the one thing I CAN use. Not to mention, they do it without telling anyone and refuse to admit it. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Go to DNS settings in the network settings for XBOX. Then change it to 8.8.8.8 for primary. 8.8.4.4 for secondary

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I second Tremos' solution. It worked for me and others on the internet. 

Here's what I think happened: AT&T wanted to screw it's customers over without notice, like it often does, so they essentially firewalled Xbox services. 

They did this by changing their NAT. Network Address Translation (NAT) Is the service that changes websites into IP addresses. So when you type in Google.com, it translates it to a group of 4 numbers X.X.X.X

So what AT&T did, presumably to lower usage on hotspots (and phone tethering), was change their NAT to deny or send faulty IP addresses for domains associated with Xbox party and multiplayer services, possibly among other things (as cballew mentioned). Which in my opinion, is borderline criminal. 

Fortunately, you are able to change which DNS you use. The addresses Tremos mentioned above are Google's DNS servers. Which, like a decent company should, does not block out the Xbox services. 

If you change your settings, your Xbox should resume as normal. 

Again, go to your Network Settings -> Advanced Settings -> DNS Settings.

Primary: 8.8.8.8

Secondary: 4.4.4.4

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks Tremos & garcia_reid...

At Microsoft's suggestion, I had already switched my pDNS & sDNS to Cloudfair's Public DNS resolvers (1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1).  All has worked fine since.  However, if those give me any trouble, Google's on deck!

-M

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

2 years ago

This really isn't a double-NAT issue, per-se, but more of a DNS mis-direct, due to being double-NAT'd.

I'm not sure who AT&T uses for their primary DNS, likely their own in-house servers, or a contracted service.  Easy enough to check, particularly when tethered, but only an issue for a small subset of users, and likely why AT&T isn't in a big hurry to change/fix it.

Lots of FIOS and similar ISP setups end up this way, by default, such as my FIOS service, if the tech installs it on your existing network (I self-install everything, once it leaves the ONT/cable box).  It's much simpler for them to just double-NAT you, and have them use their router, in-between the ONT and your router, than trying to help users "straighten things out", with a single router.

And yeah, using a known-good and "fixed" DNS provider (I use HE, their latency is really low here in the PNW, even compared to Google's , and buffer it with with my SMB routers' DNS) is a good practice, if you have a double-NAT, dual-WAN-balanced (this is how I run), and some other configs.  If you don't do this, the router gets "confused", as to why the DNS entries are looking "poisoned" off/on, definitely not a good scenario.  It can REALLY slow things down, and can get you in other sorts of trouble too, it's way easier for a bad guy to back fill with a bad value, in this scenario, for example.

DNSBench is a great tool, for checking this out, and for verifying that your DNS selection is a good one, for your location/use.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

So I just purchased the NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK because of the solution on this page and the problem is still there. I have enabled UPNP and attempted port fowarding for the game i was attempting to play. Still Strict NAT. please help.

Get started...

Ask a new question