Pre-order the New Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 & Galaxy Z Fold4 and, for a limited time, get twice the storage and a free case!
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
Dan_Val's profile

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Feb 3, 2022 11:48 PM

Mi phone is 4G and support HD Voice. Why it will no longer work with AT&T after 3G network shutdown?

Hi everyone!

I currently have a Xiaomi Mi 8 SE. Is a 4G device, and does support HD Voice and VoLTE. However, it is not on the list of phones which will still work on ATT network after 3G shutdown in February 2022 (no Xiaomi phone is listed there) https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/wireless/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf. Why is that? I've been told that only phones manufactured in the US will be compatible after 3G network shutdown. Nevertheless, I find many models manufactured in China on that list, and am unable to find any related info in internet (only see that 3G phones will become obsolete, which makes sense to me).

I understand AT&T tries to make business out of this, but would like to know if this is a real requirement, and if so, whether it is the same requirement for the different providers in US (T-Mobile, Sprint, etc). 

If my phone will still be ok in a different network I will simply switch the provider and keep my phone as it still works to me...

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

58.8K Messages

6 m前

Your phone being VoLTE capable is not the issue. The issue is ATT does not support it for VoLTE. There are many VoLTE capable phones not supported by ATT. Only phones that have been certified are supported and on the list. Whoever told you only phones manufactured in the US was wrong as there are clearly many supported phones manufactured abroad. Your phone may well work on TMobile but you’ll have to ask them. Any phone not on ATT’s list of supported phones won’t be allowed on the network.

ACE - Sage

• 

98.6K Messages

6 m前

No, there are no xiaomi phones on the supported phone list.

Non carrier, unlocked phones that will work with 3-g shuts down

• 

3 Messages

6 m前

That would definitely make sense. Many thanks for your replies! I will check with other providers.

Just for my understanding, what is the VoLTE Certification about? Is it related with the operational frequency range of both, my phone and the ATT network? 

The info about the US manufactured phones came from ATT Customer Support... 

ACE - Sage

• 

98.6K Messages

6 m前

@Dan_Val

In my opinion... 

I'm sure AT&T could be less particular and just let phones work on the network. T-Mobile does it. But since they don't, they cannot charge for service if they cannot provide it. And since they are the ones who are shutting down the 3-g network which will cut off voice service, potentially to millions of people with phones that are not capable of voice over LTE , they risk huge fines from the FCC.

Since FCC > a few thousand lost customers, who don't buy phones from AT&T anyway, and therefore cannot be counted on as long-term customers, they're willing to cut them loose. 

AT&T trade-in to upgrade deal which has been running since 2019 has added millions of customers to their Network and kept people who might have otherwise migrated to T-Mobile or Verizon.  It's almost like they planned ahead to make sure that they couldn't have cared less about a few hundred thousand people who got miffed and switched because they wouldn't buy compatible phones. 

• 

3 Messages

6 m前

@formerlyknownas, I think you are right. Personally, I brought my own device to ATT and do not see the point to throw away my fully operational 4G LTE phone just to stay with ATT... 

• 

3 Messages

5 m前

I love xiaomi and have the newer xiaomi 11. Att just shut it down today. The phone simply stopped registering. I had to go to the store to get a new sim card and even then it only worked on 4g. Nodoubt they will do this again. Been with att for 12 yrs with 4 lines all xiaomi phones, they are just forcing me to go to tmobile...

Nicolas81

• 

290 Messages

5 m前

@krislxiaomi84 I think that I have found the answer to all of this... or maybe just another way (for the moment) to find out what carrier your device is compatible with. It doesn't involve the list At&t has posted...however I will state for the record...as @formerlyknownas as well as others have... if you want to be certain that a device works with At&t... get one from the list. 

Having said that, (and let me also state that the following steps are for the slightly.. and I repeat slightly more advanced user) if you already have a device that has been deemed incompatible, and you have a new/newer SIM card from At&t... go into Settings..Connections..Mobile Networks..Access Point Names... and see if you can do either of the following: create a new APN by clicking ADD (on Android devices-not sure on iPhone) and see if you can save/select it for use; or attempt to modify ANY OF THE OTHER APN SETTINGS YOU SEE LISTED EXCEPT ATT Nextgenphone or ATT Hotspot.. I repeat DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MODIFY ATT Nextgenphone or ATT Hotspot. 

If I am correct...you won't be able to change/modify an existing APN.. or add/create and save a new one. 

At&t ( and I'm guessing at this point that the other two major carriers will do the same if they haven't already) has locked any way to make/modify the APN Settings to allow a BYOD to be compatible with the network by forcing you...by suggestion, of course.. to purchase a new SIM card. 

Thus insuring that the only devices that are compatible are manufactured for use with them...my guess is that will be worldwide...or in order words...any device you buy from anywhere. 

Which may explain why they have two lists... one of which being for non-carrier unlocked devices. While a device you purchased may be listed as unlocked...my guess is unless you are 100% sure that it is FACTORY unlocked ( and the only way I can think of to be that certain of that would be to buy your device DIRECTLY from the MANUFACTURER) your device will most likely be manufactured for use... no matter what country or region of the world it comes from... for a specific carrier... or subsidiary of the carrier...their Mobile Virtual Network Operator or MVNO. 

That's how the carrier will limit the option of device you can buy/use...which forces you to remain with them (in the case of purchasing a new device on installment plans or receiving a "free device") for a period of 1-3 years. 

It's the "no contract" contract. 

And just so no one thinks that I am hating on At&t... I am a long standing At&t postpaid customer .. and purchased my last 7 phones through them for myself and my immediate family.

Nor do I now...or have ever worked for any carrier or manufacturer. 

Nicolas81

• 

290 Messages

5 m前

I want to put this post in for the record...and say...according to what I was told... finally... yesterday by a At&t tech support representative...that I was wrong. 

Nothing that I previously posted about the APN setting would have made any difference...at least in my situation.

I can do everything else on my phone using 4G/LTE except make/received calls. Changing the APN settings would affect the internet connection. Even though one part of the information in the APN settings is incorrect...indicating that my device might be compatible with a different network...and is the ONLY part that was incorrect in the APN settings...and still could NOT be changed...NOR could I add/create a new one. And I made sure to mention that point. 

Again...this is all according to the representative. 

He also stated that the date of final shutdown of 3G has now been pushed back to April..in an attempt to give customers more time to change their devices...even after I mentioned that the information about 3G shutdown was out over 2 years ago. And I said that the changing of the date put some customers at a disadvantage...if they gambled on a device not on the list...and it functioned using 4G/LTE in all aspects...after the announcement of 3G shutdown in 2020...past the first given date of early 2022...the 2nd of February 2022...the 3rd of February 22, 2022...the 4th of March 16, 2022...and now the 5th one in April 2022. Each in between period gave me hope...that even though my device was not on any list...as long as it functioned using 4G/LTE...it would be compatible after passing another shutdown date deadline. 

According to the representative...it's actually the IMS Registration Status...found in Settings..About Phone..Status Information..SIM Card Status..and scrolling down to IMS Registration Status. The information listed below that section determines if your device is compatible with the network using HD Voice  or Wifi-Calling.... not just simply 4G/LTE.  If the section says Not Registered...then your device won't work. 

And that cannot be changed...by the customer...representative..or the carrier. 

He also said that it's not At&t...or any carrier for that matter...that is responsible for the changes to the network...but...again according to him...a joint effort by the FCC and the device manufacturers...forcing the carrier to adopt the new standards. So that the only devices we may be able to purchase for use are from the carriers themselves...or ones directly from the manufacturer made for use in the U.S. only. He said every carrier would eventually be forced to adopt the changes...no matter what...and that any questions about how/why it was happening would be best directed to the FCC. 

So again...according to the representative...there's a chance..that even if your device shows that it's currently compatible with the network...such as the case with Tmobile compatibility checker on the website..that doesn't guarantee it will remain compatible past the last official 3G shutdown date given...in Tmobile case now June 30, 2022...unless it is on a list of devices from the carrier...like the one provided by At&t. 

Lastly...according to the representative...any At&t account with a device not on the list or HD Voice or Wifi-Calling capable...will be AUTOMATICALLY TERMINATED...after the shutdown. 

That's the information I was told after two and a half hours...most of it on hold...speaking with  representatives from various departments at At&t. 

ACE - Sage

• 

98.6K Messages

5 m前

@Nicolas81

A lot of that is complete horse manure.  Working backwards:

Wifi calling will not be, and is not an FCC requirement.  Neither AT&T or Verizon are going to kick phones off the network and terminate Services just because the phone is not capable off Wi-Fi calling.

If an AT&T representative is inferring that T-Mobile is going to kick phones off in June that it will allow now that is also complete horse manure.  That's just T-Mobile bashing. T-Mobile not only allows those phones to work now, but it allows phones to work with Wi-Fi calling that neither Verizon or AT&T allows. 

Nope, all on at&t.  The FCC is a regulating body. But At&t could have adopted an open network policy and only excluded phones that actually did drop to their 3-g Network for phone calls.   There are many phone brands that are excluded from their whitelist that work just fine. 

'Ims not registered', may be caused byp The phone's firmware or operating system is out of date. The SIM card is disconnected or damaged.  The carrier is not selected in your phone's settings.  Your carrier is experiencing an outage. 

But the cause here us At&t suspending service to the sim card. 

They sure sound like  logical reasons why your phone wont work, but it's all manure. 

Simply put if your phone has been dropping to 3G or 4G for voice calls all along, it would lose voice calls when 3g shut off. 

I think you and I can agree that if replacing the SIM card with an HD voice capable SIM card fixes the problem (and in many cases it did) then this is obviously all manure and not the phone. 

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

5 m前

IMS is all advance features.  Wifi calling VoLTE video calling on samsung phones and RCS and there is other things.  Only one has to be provisioned for IMS status to change.

Nicolas81

• 

290 Messages

5 m前

@formerlyknownas @GLIMMERMAN76 Thanks for your responses.  And I think that I need to clear up a few things from my last post. 

First...it was a T-Mobile representative (who I am also speaking with about their 3G shutdown date because I have family members who are with the network using devices that are functioning now, but I am concerned that they may not remain so if their date is pushed back as well, and they fall under the same FCC requirements) ...not an At&t one... who informed me that their 3G shutdown date deadline is June 30, 2022.

I mentioned it in my post because when I asked the At&t representative...that since...according to to him...the FCC and device manufacturers...were the ones responsible for the new standards...would other carriers like Tmobile fall under the same requirements...and he said yes. 

As far as the wifi calling...he said that Wifi-Calling was a part of the At&t HD Voice...but that it had to be built in on the device to function. I asked him if it was a part of the FCC requirement, and he simply repeated that the feature was part of At&t HD Voice. 

I also asked multiple times if At&t HD Voice was a feature exclusive to the network...and that's when the representative brought up the FCC. 

The rest..( the FCC and device manufacturers requirements; the APN settings comments; the IMS Registered Status; and the automatic cancellation of accounts after the final 3G shutdown date) was all stated by him. 

I wanted to post that so people coming here can read what representatives from At&t are telling customers over the phone. 

Nicolas81

• 

290 Messages

5 m前

Also...the device had been using 4G/LTE for accessing the internet, sending/receiving text, and making/receiving calls before the first official 3G shutdown date of February 22, 2022. 

Myself..being a At&t postpaid customer... I used my personal SIM card in the device to "test" it in order to make sure that it was going to function properly on the network...(because I had a 30 day return window for each unlocked international device I purchased) back in 2020... once I read that all of the major carriers had pending 3G shutdowns. 

It never dropped down to 3G, H, or H+ for making calls...it always displayed 4G, LTE, or  LTE+.  

Which is why I continue to say how confusing At&t 3G shutdown is. 

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

5 m前

@Nicolas81 

Don't know why its confusing?  ATT made a list and folks continue to try and get around it.  If it works for them getting around it so be it but ATT's party line is not going to change if its on the list it should work if its not your on your own.

https://www.att.com/es-us/idpassets/images/support/pdf/Service-Capabilities-Unlocked-Devices-ATT-Network.pdf

Nicolas81

• 

290 Messages

5 m前

@GLIMMERMAN76 It's because certain devices work on other carriers...like Tmobile...that don't with At&t...even though both are shutting down 3G and are supposed to accept 4G/LTE devices 

Now if Tmobile starts only accepting devices that are HD Voice capable...then you got me. 

However at the moment...HD Voice seems to be an exclusive feature of At&t...thus limiting the types of devices compatible to the network. 

Even Verizon has dropped its CDMA technology...which prevented BYOD to their network for at least a decade.  Why would At&t now do anything close to that?

And finally...at the moment...a family member of mine is using a Samsung international version of a device...that never was...or is... on either list provided by At&t...that is using 4G/LTE to access the internet, send/receive text, and make/receive calls. And I tested it with a SIM card purchased after February 22, 2022 before gifting it to the family member, who is an At&t customer. 

Yet no one at At&t can explain why/how that is possible, or whether or not that device has HD Voice compatibility in their system. They say that the system doesn't show that specific information...by device model or IMEI number. 

And that device has all of the other necessary features to work on At&t network (4G/LTE compatibility,  all of the primary frequency bands required for 4G/LTE coverage in 4G devices, and was using 4G/LTE for all functions the February 22, 2022 shutdown date) as my other phone that isn't currently compatible with the network. 

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

5 m前

Like I said ATT has a list beyond that your on your own.  Tmobile will allow almost any device on its network and they even have IMEI checking tool.  Huawei devices are the only thing Tmobile will not activate.  But they will work with a activated sim card.   

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.