Trade In and Get Rewarded!
T

• 

1 Message

Saturday, October 17th, 2020 5:42 PM

iPhone X Trade in Value

Hello, I am currently the owner of an iPhone X and am looking to trade-in and upgrade to a 12. I am on an unlimited plan and when I input everything online it says I can save UP TO $800. What goes into determining the amount I receive for my trade in towards a new phone? Currently all the buttons work, there are no scratches or cracks in the screen, and no dead or burned in pixels. 

Contributor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

@_entheos_ You bet. I happen to be especially interested in this myself because I used att.com to do the purchase of both of the iPhone 12 Pros I ordered, but must have missed the step to explicitly say I was doing a trade in for one of them.

So for one device, I'm getting the materials in the mail to do the trade in. For the other, I was trying to figure out how the trade in would work "after the fact", and knew there had to be a way to do this since Apple explicitly said that phones purchased through Apple directly could also qualify for the AT&T promotion.

You probably could arrange the trade in using tradein.att.com, but that site, as LaGirl95 noted above, will only ever tell you the direct trade in value absent any other promotions (like this one). Since this is the first time I am doing a trade in of any sort with AT&T, I didn't really "trust" just using that site, though AT&T did say that way should work as well.

The path I ultimately chose is that for the one phone that has the trade in set up on the order, I'll just send in the old phone when those materials come in the mail. For the other phone, I will use an AT&T Retail Store after the iPhone 12 arrives and I am ready to trade in the old phone. That way, according to the rep at the retail store, they can just do the trade in right at the store and ensure it's tied to my iPhone 12 purchase for the $800 promotion. Like I said, this might all work if I just did it with tradein.att.com as well, but using a retail store seems to be the best way to do it "after the fact".

I also elected to wait until after I have the new phones to switch unlimited plans. In my case it's a wash, but AT&T did note that some people on grandfathered plans are actually going to get a better deal going to one of their new plans.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Reading your whole experience was very helpful, @daveschroeder.  I feel a lot more comfortable moving forward now.  I also have had mix ups with AT&T promotions before and have been gun shy to do things online since then.  Their documentation isn't always clear, and you often don't get a 'do over.'  Again, thanks for the info.

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

In my experience, actually RECEIVING the materials to complete the trade in has been a total nightmare.  

But - don't fear - the bill w/the new phone payments came early!

So, I can't trade my phones in b/c I can't ship them back without the proper materials (and slowed down in getting my $800 credit - for 4 phones!)...

My advice?  I wish I had waited, and am considering just biting the bullet and paying my new 12's off and leaving ATT after nearly 20 years.  

I've spent several hours calling people that can never seem to help - and then being transferred to dead lines with an outgoing message to 'call back later'.  I feel like I was 'bait and switched', and that ATT really has no intention of making good on the $800/phone trade-in.

If any class-action lawyers (Edited per community guidelines) thru here... hit me up.

(edited)

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I wish I had read this forum before falling for their bait and switch. I am on hold now after speaking with many many customer “service” reps and being transferred around. A couple of days ago I got a promise to “elevate” my case to a priority. Today I received a text that my case had been resolved. But no results were provided. I called back. I’m on hold (for over an hour) with my 3rd person today while she “elevates” this. 

One of the reps I spoke to earlier told me they could see the case and the resolution, but everything was in some sort of code with nothing but special characters. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.