For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
M

• 

2 Messages

Friday, September 18th, 2020 5:51 AM

How to swap devices on my account??

I am going through an excruciating experience with ATT.  PLEASE HELP!!  I have 2 sons - both eligible for upgrades.  #2 son breaks his phone, so I upgraded to an iPhone using our account services online.  It arrives, and he doesn't like it because it is a much smaller iPhone (who knew?).  I'm on hold with customer service forever, finally get a return label sent to me and send the phone back.  Unfortunately the label was via USPS.  It was over 10 days but finally it shows in our account that it made across the country to the Return Center....however NOT returned 100% to clear #2 son's account of the upgrade.  Called customer service again and spent another few hours on the phone trying to order another phone, but they have to fully receive the first one and clear the account. After several reps - I get passed around.  The last rep recommends using #1 son's upgrade to at least get another phone quickly to us while they're waiting to check back in the first phone.  I was hesitant, but they said "all will be good".  SO......we just received the new iPhone tonight, and #2 son activated it.  Now #1 son's phone is NOT working because when #2 son activated his new phone it took over #1 son's phone number because technically the upgrade was on #1 son's line.  GAH!!!!!!  So now I have 2 very upset sons, and still only one operational phone.  When I call #2 son's number, it still has a recording saying the phone number is not active.  I am BEYOND frustrated at this situation as it has taken over ONE month to replace #2 son's broken phone.  Completely unacceptable!  Does anyone know how I can switch the devices so that #1 son gets his phone number back and #2 son has his number activated on the phone we just received?  Customer Service is closed and I'm pulling my hair out on this situation.  CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS???

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

4 years ago

All you had to do was put #2 sons old sim in the new phone. When the new phone arrived and everyone would be working. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

4 years ago

Move the SIM card from son #2 old broken phone to the new phone.

Move the SIM card from the new phone into your #1 son's old phone.

If you don't have 2 working phones because new sim card isn't active, Call AT&T about getting the #1 sons phone activated, not sure why it's not working

FYI for next time.  When you receive a replacement phone that's not for of the line that you purchased it on, do not turn the phone on or activate the Sim that it came with. Pull the SIM card out and put the SIM card from the phone number that you want on the phone into the Sim slot. 

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I should have clarified - - he DID put in his old sim card - - it is not activated or not working.  He was desperate for the phone to work, so he ended up activating the phone with the sim card that came with the new phone - which he definitely should not have done.     Not sure how to undo this problem???

This is a nightmare and has taken so long to resolve. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

4 years ago

I don't understand why his old SIM card is not working.  The only reason for his old SIM card not to be working is either if a new SIM card was activated for his line, or his line was suspended for some reason. 

Once a SIM card is deactivated it can't be reactivated. So he's going to need to replace a SIM card.

The easiest way to get a replacement SIM card is to go to an AT&T store. If you are in a state that has shut down they still do curbside service. The only alternative is to order a SIM card from a third party like Best Buy or Amazon, but that is not going to get you a SIM card quickly. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.