psurn4490's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sat, Oct 18, 2014 5:35 PM

Early Upgrade?!

I am very displeased with AT&T especially their customer service at this moment. I was told by a customer service rep in store to call the 800 number for an early upgrade, as I am due for my 2 year agreement upgrade mid january, and I wanted to upgrade early to give the new phone to my son for Christmas. I was not only spoken to rudely by the first representative, but I was then met with denial from the manager I requested to speak with. I have been with AT&T for a couple of year, I have 4 lines and two phones on the NEXT program and refuse to add another one through NEXT. As far as I knew and after speaking with numerous people AT&T never before had a problem doing an early upgrade, especially considering the 2 year agreement is up within the next 3 months. Why am I not able to? I am contemplating switching providers for the simple fact that not only was a denied my request but also the manner in so that it was done.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

58.7K Messages

8年前

ATT's policy on upgrades changed last year. You only get the fully subsidized upgrade after your 2 year contract has been fulfilled. There are no longer any exceptions to that. You can still get an "early upgrade" but that is the fully subsidized price plus $250.

Something else to consider, if you are on the mobile share plan and getting the $15 or $25 discount for the line you want to upgrade, you will lose that discount if you upgrade at the 2 year contract price. If you do the math, you may find that 2 year contract upgrade actually costs more than upgrading via Next.

If you really feel you need to switch carriers over this, don't be surprised to find them doing the same thing. In fact some carriers don't even offer subsidized phones anymore.
Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.