Trade In and Get Rewarded!
Jen1987's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, May 11th, 2013 10:50 PM

Early upgrade - one account eligible

I really want to get an early upgrade on my Iphone 4S, I am not to thrilled about having to wait until July 21, 2014 but the other phone that's on the account is already eligible for an upgrade and that's my mom's phone and she doesn't want a smart phone but I want to upgrade early to the Samsung Galaxy SIII... but when I talked to a customer service agent (who was not able to look into my account, they were mainly there to help with online ordering) I pretty much didn't get no where, except got some information to contact customer care department

I've read that in order to get an early upgrade, you have to wait at least 20 months but my dad has been a loyal AT&T customer for almost 9 1/2 years now and I think seeing how I'm not satisfied with my phone, I should be able to get an early upgrade for my phone but not sure if I can since I got it for Christmas last year. I would much rather have a galaxy over an Iphone but that's just me. Can anyone help?? Thanks!

[Subject edited to reflect new topic]

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

@Jen1987 wrote:

I really want to get an early upgrade on my Iphone 4S, I am not to thrilled about having to wait until July 21, 2014 but the other phone that's on the account is already eligible for an upgrade and that's my mom's phone and she doesn't want a smart phone but I want to upgrade early to the Samsung Galaxy SIII... but when I talked to a customer service agent (who was not able to look into my account, they were mainly there to help with online ordering) I pretty much didn't get no where, except got some information to contact customer care department

I've read that in order to get an early upgrade, you have to wait at least 20 months but my dad has been a loyal AT&T customer for almost 9 1/2 years now and I think seeing how I'm not satisfied with my phone, I should be able to get an early upgrade for my phone but not sure if I can since I got it for Christmas last year. I would much rather have a galaxy over an Iphone but that's just me. Can anyone help?? Thanks!

@Jen1987, thanks for your post. Check this out: Apply an eligible upgrade toward a different line on your plan

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Jen1987 wrote:

Unfortunately time in service has no bearing, it is contractual date that counts. 20 months is for a full upgrade at new user pricing for the device.

You might be eligible for a early upgrade, but that is not a full discount. Check your status if you are authorized or the primary account holder can. Basicly a early upgrade is subsidized price of the device + 250.00 + 36.00 activation charge. So if the phone you want is 199.00 the tolta cost would be

---------

Sorry but botton line - you got the iphone last year at a huge discount with the agreement that you would complete the binding contract that you entered into, if you want something new sooner then you have to pay full retail or the penalty costs to get a new phone

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

If your mom is willing to let you use her upgrade, you can do that.  I would recommend that you go to a corporate store with an authorized account user, and tell them that you want to use the upgrade that is available on your mother's line, but you want to use the phone on your line.  They can do the upgrade, get you the proper SIM card and not charge a data plan to your mother's line.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.