We are aware of an outage currently impacting our Mobility users and are working to resolve it ASAP. For the latest info please visit our Service Outage Information page.
We apologize for this incovenience.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
FinallyDecided's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, July 20th, 2019 2:21 AM

Buying new phone, keeping the same line

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new phone/upgrade my current phone. I'm on my family's account, so will they (the account owner) need to be with me when I go to buy a new phone, just to verify that my line will remain on their account, or will it all be taken care of for me?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

If you're paying full price and it's the same size SIM, you will likely need no one. Just move your SIM into the new phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@Gary L Not sure that’s true since ATT doesn’t sell sim free phones to my knowledge. Now maybe they will sell a phone without activating the SIM card. Activating a SIM card does require an authorized user. @FinallyDecided If you are buying the phone on a payment plan, you either need the account owner or you need to be an authorized user on the account.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

@Gary L Not sure that’s true since ATT doesn’t sell sim free phones to my knowledge. Now maybe they will sell a phone without activating the SIM card. Activating a SIM card does require an authorized user. @FinallyDecided If you are buying the phone on a payment plan, you either need the account owner or you need to be an authorized user on the account.

Yeah, I guess if they're in an AT&T store that would be true. If I'm paying full price, then I'm going to try to not go the AT&T store...

As they're likely not wanting to pay "full price", they'll need the owner like you said.

ACE - Sage

• 

115.8K Messages

5 years ago

@Gary L 

@sandblaster 

All you have to do is say your a prepaid customer and they will sell you a phone without a hassle.  At least the company stores near me all will.  (Both Verizon and AT&T).  Avoid the questions by making a full price purchase at Best Buy.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.