For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
H

• 

12 Messages

Tuesday, February 4th, 2020 4:04 AM

ATT return and restocking fee policy

I tried to return a 60.00 phone to the ATT store in Salem< Ohio within 6 days from the purchase. They told me there was a 55.00 restocking fee (that is over a 90% restocking fee). Most states set a max restocking fee at 50%. I told Josh that that was (Edited per community guidelines). He asked me to leave his store. This presented another issue. I was returning the phone for my brother who is a Vietnam COMBAT veteran. He has a hard time doing these things because of his PTSD. The store associate Josh was dirtying his diaper when my brother was killing Vietcong so that Josh could be raised free. You have to return the phone to the store you purchased it at. How do you do that when you were asked to leave.

Ok people, According to the Ohio Attorney Generals office, the ATT store must post their restocking policy visibly in the store. They do not!! Josh told me the return policy was on the back of the receipt. Sorry ATT that is not good enough according to the Attorney General!! Posting on the back of the receipt is no good because the purchase has already been made. If they have pulled this (Edited per community guidelines) on you, print the information out from the Attorney General web site and have at it. I have been a loyal customer of ATT for over 20 years. I will not make 21 years with them. Their customer service is the worst that I have ever dealt with. By the way, I am 66 years old and this was the FIRST time that I have ever been asked to leave a store. I might consider pressing charges against the store for intimidation.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

4 years ago

he had every right to ask you to leave based on your own admission in you post you cussed at him when he told you the restocking fee,so you were the intimidator . based on your 2 edited per community guidelines (curse words) you probablu werent very nice to him. and before you respond by throwing the employee flag out im here on my own unpaid, and as a customer.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

4 years ago

Every purchase on AT&T is accompanied with a sales slip. That sales slip details the return and exchange policy in print on the back. Including the restock fee. Whether you like it or not this is sufficient documentation on AT&T part and will hold up. It would also have been on the terms of service that were signed by the purchaser at the time of purchase. If you didn't bother to read what you signed again still on you.

It is a $60 phone, if you don't want it you can recoup your money by reselling the phone to someone else on Facebook Marketplace or eBay
If the store was an authorized retailer, they are not owned by AT&T.
The restock fee has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you, your brother, or your entire family is military or veteran. Once a phone has been purchased it cannot be resold as a new device, and loses a significant value.

(edited)

• 

12 Messages

@lizdance40 Hi Lizdance40,

It is amazing to me that Walmart, Amazon, home depot, Lowes, Costco, Sams club, even dollar general, etc, return items many times a day and do not charge a restocking fee AND their businesses are doing very well. Much better than ATT at the time. Maybe ATT should look at how a successful business is run and quit gouging their customers. To take an unused phone that is 6 days old and sell it on Ebay is ludicrous.

I have also been informed the when I asked Josh for his employee I.D. it is a requirement by ATT for him to give it to me. Since he refused to give his I.D. he knew that how he acted was wrong and wanted to cover it up.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

If you return a cellular device. You are charged the restock fee by AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, Best Buy - and those are just the ones I know of.
Best Buy also charges a restock fee of up to 15% for drones and similar Electronics.
Cell phones, and cellular tablets and watches cannot be resold as new devices once they have been registered to an owner.
That is why there is no restock fee if you return an iPhone in its unopened box. Unopened = unregistered by Apple.
If you don't like it don't purchase from those retailers.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Former AT&T,  Current Verizon customer.  My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove. 

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

12 Messages

You can't include best buy in the cell phone section. They are only selling a service from one of the providers like ATT. You answered your own question. Yes, I would not have had a huge problem with a 15% restocking fee. Especially a drone that people take them out and crash them and then return them as defective. ATT charged a 91.6% restocking fee. Anything over 50% is illegal in most states. Once again ATT broke the law by printing the restocking fee only on the back of the receipt. I will file a complaint with the Ohio Attorney Generals office and let you know when they get my money back. (it states in the the Ohio Attorney Generals web site that ATT needs to return my restocking fee)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

Not the way it reads. But by all means, post your refund when you get it.

https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Media/Newsletters/Consumer-Advocate/February-2017-%281%29/Know-Your-Consumer-Rights-Shopping-Rights-and-Tip

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Former AT&T,  Current Verizon customer.  My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove. 

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

12 Messages

Refund Policies and Restocking Fees

Sellers are not required to have any specific type of return policy under Ohio law. However, if a store has a refund policy, it must be clearly and conspicuously posted (Ohio Revised Code Section 1345.03(B)(7)). It Was not posted

A refund policy may not be printed only on the receipt, because the consumer sees the receipt after the purchase has been made.

((Josh informed me that the restocking fee was on the back of the receipt)

If a seller does not have a refund policy posted, the consumer is entitled to a refund, if the consumer requests it.

All of this information is from the Ohio Attorney Generals web site. Pretty self explanatory for those who are never wrong.

Ohio law does not prohibit restocking fees, or fees for returning an item to the shelves. Nevertheless, sellers should clearly and conspicuously disclose any restocking fees before the consumer makes a purchase.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

4 years ago

You swore and were asked to leave. Where is the intimidation?

This presented another issue. I was returning the phone for my brother who is a Vietnam COMBAT veteran. He has a hard time doing these things because of his PTSD. The store associate Josh was dirtying his diaper when my brother was killing Vietcong so that Josh could be raised free.

This might be a true statement, but it seems to have no relation to what your issue was. But somehow you are presenting it as "another issue"...?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.