For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
Turtle89's profile

• 

1 Message

Friday, December 9th, 2022 7:20 AM

AT&T rep at Sam’s cost me$5,300 for a higher phone bill. (Bait and switch scam)

Went to Sam’s AT&T Rep said they could save me money on my phone bill if I switched from Verizon. Was paying $215 monthly for Verizon. My bill would be $137 monthly and we would get 5 new phones if we traded our phones in.

I thought that was good and agreed. Sam’s rep charged me $300 in store. Verizon charged me $2,700 for the 5 phones I had to trade in to AT&T. AT&T said I only get $800 trade in on 4 of the phones.So now the free phones cost me another $1,800 and they aren’t as good as what I had before. The Discount I was supposed to get from my husband’s job doesn’t exist. The Sam’s club discount doesn’t exist. The new bill is now $220 before taxes and fees. My 1st months bills is $583.xx. I can’t even get 5 G service where I live. I have tried several times to get help and every time it cost me more money. This was the worst mistake. I can not even switch back to Verizon because they have my phones ($2,700)and will charge me $60 a phone to give back their “Free” and I will have to buy all new phones. So $3,000 plus the cost of 5 new phones. I am Royally screwed. I’m unemployed and switched to save money so I could make my Bills. I don’t know what to do. Please help!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

1 year ago

Verizon charged me $2,700 for the 5 phones I had to trade in to AT&T.

You knew you had installments with Verizon, with bill credits, making those phones. "free", which is why your bill for 5 lines was only $215.  Why on earth would you do this?  

AT&T won't take phones back after 14 days so you don't have to worry about the restock fee because you can't send the phone back.  

There is no help for the largest part of you financial hole.

The only tier eligible for your husband's discount is the premium plan.  The starter plan is $30 for each line which is $150 before taxes and fees, and phone installments. 

You have to sign up for autopay and paperless billing to get the prices listed below in the picture. Phone credits may not start for 2 or 3 months.   

The people at work at Sam's club, costco, and BJ's Wholesale Club are not an AT&T employees. They work for third party retailers who rent kiosks in these big box stores. Other than a discount equivalent to your husband's business discount off of the Premium plan they can't offer you anything that you couldn't get in an AT&T store from a representative who might have given you correct numbers. 

You have correctly diagnosed your situation. And I think I have rubbed your nose in it enough. You can file a Better Business Bureau complaint online the complaint will be forwarded back to AT&T upper management and someone will contact you. They cannot fix your problems with Verizon but they can make sure that your bill with AT&T is correct. Switching is never cheap. Just The Upfront cost for sales tax should have been a red flag when you are unemployed. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.