Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
StrongOak's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Sep 11, 2014 12:22 PM

AT&T Next Upgrade Question

So our account shows our current iPhone 5 contract end on August 31s, 2015 but we upgraded to Next in December 2013. Since we want the iPhone 6 Plus ASAP we checked eligibility and it says we qualify for the $0 down and pay monthly and taxes up front. 

My question is since my iPhone 5 was purchased on a 2 year contract originally which ends August 31, 2015 if I use the NEXT free upgrade will AT&T charge me an early termination fee. I have no intention of switching providers anytime soon so this is about the old iPhone 5 and not the iPhone 6. 

My plan is to sale my friend my iPhone 5 for the iPhone 6 taxes plus $15/mo for 18 months. She has happily agreed to do this because she is using an iPhone 4 right now.

My question is will AT&T demand my iPhone 5 back or an early termination fee if I used NEXT to upgrade?

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.5K Messages

7 y ago

You only need to trade in your phone IF you purchased using NEXT and the NEXT payments were not totally fulfilled. Once the payments are fulfilled, the phone is yours. If you still have payments due, you can trade the phone in without having to pay the rest of the contract. If you want to keep the phone and still have payments due, you can pay off the phone payments early and still keep the phone. 

You only have to return the phone if you are upgrading prior to NEXT contract completion.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.