Trade In and Get Rewarded!
Absolutely_Infuriated's profile

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, January 24th, 2023 5:49 AM

Closed

AT&T never gave me trade-in credit

This whole program is insane. "Mail in your phone and we will give you $800 credit in three months." What an effing scam!

I mailed my phone in back in July. It is now January. After multiple calls and hours on the line, I finally got a guy to confirm what I already knew: AT&T received my phone in August. I said "Yeah, I have the postal tracking number that says that." After being transferred around to multiple departments, I was finally lucky enough to talk to a lady who fessed up and said that the phone was received but no ticket was assigned. She gave me the ticket number and said it would be resolved by Dec. 16. I call on Dec. 20, because - you guessed it - no credit had been applied to my account. Call again. And again. The people can't tell me anything other than to wait some more. Apparently, the issue will just resolve itself by magic.

This seriously should be illegal - AT&T should be required to process credits for trade-ins upon receipt of the device. Or at least in a prompt fashion. No more of this "we will credit your account in a few months or whenever we feel like getting around to it."

I call and call and call and nobody can give me a straight answer. I know the poor employees I am speaking to have been instructed not to tell me anything. I know they can hear the frustration in my voice and feel bad. But like I said, they are instructed to follow they script.

Do not ever trust this process. Seriously, I don't know if employees just steal the phones as soon as they come in. Or if it is all a big scam. Or if AT&T is just so backlogged and struggling to find staff to process the claims. Whatever it is, the system is clearly not working. Whether it is negligence or malice on the part of AT&T, I don't know, but this whole thing is so messed up. 

If I thought it would do anything I would file an $800 claim in small claims court or something. Obviously, nothing would come of that. So apparently I have no other choice but to continue paying off my new phone and then sever all ties with AT&T immediately afterward. And then convince everyone I know to leave AT&T as well.

ACE - Sage

• 

115.9K Messages

6 months ago

That clarification makes a huge difference...

3 Messages

6 months ago

I'm in the same boat now with 3 new phones... $2400 in credits. I'm about 2 months in. I've received one credit thus far in the mail, for $1.00. I'll be heading into AT&T to give them a chance to clear this huge mess up. I've followed all of the requirements to a tee and have documentation and tracking for everything.

By the way, I never wanted to change providers in the first place but an AT&T rep in a Target approached my wife while she was there for a 5-minute 2 item shopping session. I got a call 2 hours later from her, only to find out that BEFORE WE SIGNED ANYTHING, AT&T ACCIDENTALLY PORTED ONE OF MY CHILDREN'S PHONE NUMBERS without authorization! WHAT!? They weren't even on a call with our current provider to have my wife authorize it or anything! I met her at the store and complained. They told me we had to call our current provider to fix the mistake AT&T made. We went home, called our provider, and they said that my child's number was ported out and that they had no control over the number. We then went back to the store, and explained the situation and their only solution was to sign up with AT&T. I could have walked away, but that would have meant leaving town the next day on a trip with one of my children having a totally dead phone line due to AT&T messing up... so I calmed down and we signed up 3 of my family members and I was also told I would get an additional $100.00 credit for the mistake they made (which I demanded, they didn't offer it) and of course I have no $100.00 credit, let alone any of the other credits for 3 trade-ins that were valued at $800 per phone, confirmed, in person, by the AT&T rep.

Totally predatory, which I called out and the AT&T rep actually AGREED to it when I confronted him on it.

What a waste of my time and money (my first bill was $500 and we of course had to pay the tax on the 3 "FREE" phones which was ~$190). So I've spent a ton of frustrating time, with more to come, almost $700, and my bill from my other provider was $128 for comparable voice & data (just would have been on our "old" phones). Can't wait to get away from AT&T.

I'll provide updates as things progress.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

115.9K Messages

6 months ago

@ThatDonutGuy 

I'm about 2 months in. I've received one credit thus far in the mail, for $1.00

Credits are not mailed. I don't know what the dollar is for, but it has absolutely nothing to do with bill credits for trade-in phones.

AT&T rep in a Target

People at Target, Walmart, and Best buy Costco and Sam's club do not work for AT&T They work for third party franchises 

BEFORE WE SIGNED ANYTHING, AT&T ACCIDENTALLY PORTED ONE OF MY CHILDREN'S PHONE NUMBERS without authorization!

This is completely false. There's no way to port a phone number without the account number and the security pin code which your wife had to have provided. Once you hand over that information that is part of the process of switching. And comes after any authorization. I don't want to cause a marital argument, but your wife has left something out of the story

let alone any of the other credits for 3 trade-ins that were valued at $800 per phone

Credits are not lump sum. They are dished out over 36 months. As are the installments.

Here's a sample of what the deal looks like, something that you or your wife could have read before you made a purchase

3 Messages

6 months ago

@formerlyknownas 

Credits are not mailed. I don't know what the dollar is for, but it has absolutely nothing to do with bill credits for trade-in phones. 

This is very confusing then, based on how this promo is stated to work. This phone is 1 of 3 trade-ins that was 1 of 3 phone which were ELEGIBLE for a $800 promotion if we got a new Samsung phone. Looks related to me but I guess it could be some coincidence. I'm not too comfortable after what I've experienced thus far with the process to just wait the full 3 months and trust that AT&T is going to have it all lined up on month 3 for me and I don't have to take any action.

People at Target, Walmart, and Best buy Costco and Sam's club do not work for AT&T They work for third party franchises 

What's your point? Do they not represent AT&T? Are you suggesting not working with or trusting them? I have a name and phone number at the bottom of AT&T paperwork that shows "your sales rep's name" and "your sales rep's phone number". Please clarify, thank you.

This is completely false.There's no way to port a phone number without the account number and the security pin code which your wife had to have provided. Once you hand over that information that is part of the process of switching. And comes after any authorization. I don't want to cause a marital argument, but your wife has left something out of the story

I would agree 100% on a port not being able to be completed without an account number and a security code. I just inquired with my wife, and during initial "sales pitch" the sale rep asked my wife to open up the (then) current wireless provider app so that he could get information to assist in determining what cost savings we might get by switching to AT&T. My wife agreed, he asked to use her phone, she agreed to that, the sales rep then called a colleague for assistance after a couple minutes of trying to figure things out, and with the guidance provided by the sales rep's colleague, they then "accidentally" ported one of our phone numbers out. We gave no consent for this; I'm bringing it to our lawyer.

Credits are not lump sum. They are dished out over 36 months. As are the installments.

Understood. I'm getting involved early because of the experience I'm having thus far and the info I'm receiving from AT&T which doesn't align with what was agreed to.

Here's a sample of what the deal looks like, something that you or your wife could have read before you made a purchase 

Thank you for sharing the example. I have similar yet not identical paperwork which I was not provided in-person but did print out after seeing them at the AT&T trade-in webpage. When we were with the sale rep, he looked up the exact make and model of all 3 phones because we were not going to sign up unless the cost of all 3 were taken care of via trade-ins for $800 each, he confirmed that all 3 were eligible for the $800 trade-in value. We had 3 great phones that did not need to be replaced, only did so due to the promotion and getting phones for free (minus tax). I'll also be disputing AT&T's trade-in value of $1.00 for this phone (unless this somehow just changes after 3 months). 

(edited)

4 Messages

6 months ago

So I filed a complaint with the BBB yesterday and an executive called me today and resolved my trade in immediately. So helpful and NICE! I now have all my credits  that were owed and my account is fixed. Hopefully this helps someone. Just file it so you can get help bc we all know calling the 800 number is getting us nowhere. 

ACE - Sage

• 

115.9K Messages

6 months ago

She made your purchase the end of July. Credits would typically not start until 3 months later which would be end of October. 

The $1 credit should have been applied to your account, I don't know why they sent it to you.  But the A03 was not eligible as a trade-in device. So all you would get would be book value.

The list of trade-in devices would have been published online. Usually budget devices like that are not eligible.  The A03 is a $60  or free budget phone.  

I'm afraid to ask what the other two phones were?  

An S class galaxy would have been worth $800 in trade-in credits no matter how old or how banged up it was. When it comes to the A class phones only some of the mid price phones qualify. J class Samsung phones never qualify.

Again, I don't know what happened with your wife and the salesperson. But the only information he could have gathered off the account would have been the account number. I suppose he could have figured out how to get the port pin.

So unsolicited security advice that you need to pass on... Nobody touches your freaking phone.  There is too much personal, financial, and sensitive information on our smartphones, nobody else should have access.  

As for Target Walmart, Sam's club employees ,etc. no, I don't trust them implicitly. I don't fully trust employees of corporate stores. Their job is to make money for themselves and for the company. They are sales people. They do not have my best interest at heart.  It's their job to suggest that I buy other stuff, to try to get me to add a screen protector and a case to protect my expensive device, to talk me into insurance and the early upgrade fee.  And if I'm on an old plan to try to talk me into a new one. All that benefits them.

It's up to me to go in as an educated consumer know what I'm buying and how much it's going to cost. And that means spending 2 minutes on the sales page So I can't be sold something that doesn't exist.

(In this case the A03 fail)

he looked up the exact make and model of all 3 phones because we were not going to sign up unless the cost of all 3 were taken care of via trade-ins for $800 each

Suuuuure he did.   There's no way budget phones make the trade-in list.  There's no way the A03/s was on the list.  It's not listed now.  If you go to the AT&t sales page, click on the phone you purchased, click on the blue banner at the top which shows the $800 off.  Then click on see offer details. Then scroll to the bottom and expand the arrow points. You'll see one there for eligible devices. You will notice there are some a-class Samsung phones listed.  No 0x or 1x series.  You'll see some in the 20s, 40s, '50s and '70s  A class.  

Clearly there was more than one syruptitious action done by the person in Target and you should go back there and take it up with the manager.   

We rely on our phones and our cellular service far too much to make purchase choices like this on a whim or under high pressure sales.   

3 Messages

6 months ago

@formerlyknownas 

I am no longer in need of your assistance. Take care.

ACE - Sage

• 

115.9K Messages

6 months ago

As another community member, I can't offer assistance.

Just true information 

Which apparently target is not familiar with

5 months ago

Same thing has happened to me as well.  I traded in a perfect condition Samsung galaxy S12 Ultra for an iPhone on Att's $1000 trade in for the iPhone 14. I am on a qualifying plan, the phone was paid off, everything was golden. I have everything setup to automatically pay and I just trusted that it would work.  Boy that was a mistake.  Their trade in page marks it as received on 11/05/2022 but it hasn't ever moved to the applied stage.  I should have had 7 months of credit applied to my bill, but haven't had any at all.

Following the actual helpful advice in the rest of this thread I have already filed a formal complaint with the FCC and with the BBB.  In this day and age there should be some sort of automated notification if there is a delay.  Very disgraceful, I should have never switched back to At&t

(edited)

4 Messages

5 months ago

They (Edited as per Community Guidelines) me over as well.

Never sent me the package to send my old phone back in for the trade in, then when I finally did get them to email me a shipping label after multiple attempts to get one,  it was past the 30 days, and the wrong kind of label (it was for warranty returns, not trade ins) Talked to them on the phone today and they basically said "(Edited per community guidelines) to be you" we cant give you trade in credit. So they now have my old device which was worth $700 in trade in value, and they're not bending on giving me trade in credit becuase they got it after the 30 days was up. (becuase I was waiting on THEM for a phone return package)

What a way to treat a long time customer.  Bye AT&T!

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.