Trade In and Get Rewarded!
Absolutely_Infuriated's profile

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, January 24th, 2023 5:49 AM

Closed

AT&T never gave me trade-in credit

This whole program is insane. "Mail in your phone and we will give you $800 credit in three months." What an effing scam!

I mailed my phone in back in July. It is now January. After multiple calls and hours on the line, I finally got a guy to confirm what I already knew: AT&T received my phone in August. I said "Yeah, I have the postal tracking number that says that." After being transferred around to multiple departments, I was finally lucky enough to talk to a lady who fessed up and said that the phone was received but no ticket was assigned. She gave me the ticket number and said it would be resolved by Dec. 16. I call on Dec. 20, because - you guessed it - no credit had been applied to my account. Call again. And again. The people can't tell me anything other than to wait some more. Apparently, the issue will just resolve itself by magic.

This seriously should be illegal - AT&T should be required to process credits for trade-ins upon receipt of the device. Or at least in a prompt fashion. No more of this "we will credit your account in a few months or whenever we feel like getting around to it."

I call and call and call and nobody can give me a straight answer. I know the poor employees I am speaking to have been instructed not to tell me anything. I know they can hear the frustration in my voice and feel bad. But like I said, they are instructed to follow they script.

Do not ever trust this process. Seriously, I don't know if employees just steal the phones as soon as they come in. Or if it is all a big scam. Or if AT&T is just so backlogged and struggling to find staff to process the claims. Whatever it is, the system is clearly not working. Whether it is negligence or malice on the part of AT&T, I don't know, but this whole thing is so messed up. 

If I thought it would do anything I would file an $800 claim in small claims court or something. Obviously, nothing would come of that. So apparently I have no other choice but to continue paying off my new phone and then sever all ties with AT&T immediately afterward. And then convince everyone I know to leave AT&T as well.

3 Messages

6 months ago

I am having the same issue. Returned old phone in March. Still getting the run around 

1 Message

6 months ago

I have the same issue with ATT. I traded in two phones got the credit for one and not the other. I sent them in two days apart. I write or call once a week. Every week its we are looking into it and will have this resolved. I sent the old phone back in October 2022 and almost a year later i only recieved credits for one phone and not the other. 

Theres needs to be a (Edited per community guidelines) (Edited per community guidelines) opened against att. This happens everytime i buy new phones and trade in, one goes smoothly and they give me the run around with the other one. 

(edited)

11 Messages

6 months ago

@aortiz1121 recently had a similar issue here too. Filed an FCC complaint and it was resolved in less than a week. I’m glad it’s fixed, but still, ATT is predatory. I highly recommend reporting the issue. They have to respond. 

11 Messages

6 months ago

@BobsBigBoy21 file a complaint with the FCC. I did and they finally resolved my months-long issue within a week. I still maintain ATT is preying on consumers. They claimed it was an “error with the promo code in the marketing dept”. I still say predatory.  

ACE - Sage

• 

115.9K Messages

6 months ago

Before you get into these deals with any provider. Read the offer carefully.

Make your purchase and your trade in in a store. When you mail your phone it's going through three other hands that AT&T has no control over. The US postal service, one of the couriers, and then assurant mobile in Tennessee.

11 Messages

6 months ago

@formerlyknownas not relevant in my case. My phone was marked received by att. In my experience USPS was the best course of action, I was able to track that they received it. They also acknowledged receipt online. So again, ATT is totally at fault. They’re predatory and should not advertise the ability to trade in via all of those avenues. Predatory and scammy. 

3 Messages

6 months ago

I saw in another thread to file with the BBB.

I did and within 3 days, they fixed it.

Shouldn't have to do that, but that finally got things moving.

4 Messages

6 months ago

Looks like I’m filling with BBB and FCC to get this resolved

ACE - Sage

• 

115.9K Messages

6 months ago

@Hzibo 

My phone was marked received by att.

Well, that's nice but unless you were doing an early upgrade or something else that require you to return your phone to AT&T, your phone went to the wrong place and that's why you're not getting credits.

Trade in phones go to a third party business for refurbishment or recycling. They do not go to AT&T.

Early upgrades via Next Up go to AT&T in Texas.

If you did indeed track your phone to Texas and AT&T instead of Tennessee and Hyla /Assurant Mobile, then your phone went to the wrong place And they have no idea what to do with it

You would have to contact AT&T and ask them to reroute your phone to the correct place

11 Messages

6 months ago

@formerlyknownas  again, ATT CORPORATE confirmed receipt of my device IN TENNESSEE. After the FCC complaint, they confirmed the issue was on their end. They processed my device & stated the issue was with their promo coding. Again, my device went where it was supposed to go, so still, that’s not relevant. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.