Trade In and Get Rewarded!
Absolutely_Infuriated's profile

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, January 24th, 2023 5:49 AM

Closed

AT&T never gave me trade-in credit

This whole program is insane. "Mail in your phone and we will give you $800 credit in three months." What an effing scam!

I mailed my phone in back in July. It is now January. After multiple calls and hours on the line, I finally got a guy to confirm what I already knew: AT&T received my phone in August. I said "Yeah, I have the postal tracking number that says that." After being transferred around to multiple departments, I was finally lucky enough to talk to a lady who fessed up and said that the phone was received but no ticket was assigned. She gave me the ticket number and said it would be resolved by Dec. 16. I call on Dec. 20, because - you guessed it - no credit had been applied to my account. Call again. And again. The people can't tell me anything other than to wait some more. Apparently, the issue will just resolve itself by magic.

This seriously should be illegal - AT&T should be required to process credits for trade-ins upon receipt of the device. Or at least in a prompt fashion. No more of this "we will credit your account in a few months or whenever we feel like getting around to it."

I call and call and call and nobody can give me a straight answer. I know the poor employees I am speaking to have been instructed not to tell me anything. I know they can hear the frustration in my voice and feel bad. But like I said, they are instructed to follow they script.

Do not ever trust this process. Seriously, I don't know if employees just steal the phones as soon as they come in. Or if it is all a big scam. Or if AT&T is just so backlogged and struggling to find staff to process the claims. Whatever it is, the system is clearly not working. Whether it is negligence or malice on the part of AT&T, I don't know, but this whole thing is so messed up. 

If I thought it would do anything I would file an $800 claim in small claims court or something. Obviously, nothing would come of that. So apparently I have no other choice but to continue paying off my new phone and then sever all ties with AT&T immediately afterward. And then convince everyone I know to leave AT&T as well.

ACE - Sage

• 

115.9K Messages

9 months ago

@jessztreefairy 

I feel completely manipulated. I had a beautiful I phone 11 in perfect condition and was convinced by a promotion to trade it in for a free upgrade.

First of all it is not a free upgrade. It is an installment upgrade with credits against your new phone for trading in a qualified older phone worth at least $230 or more. On iPhone 11 in excellent condition would be worth full credit.   Credits begin in approximately 3 months from the time you complete your trade-in.

When did you make your purchase? When did you trade in your iPhone 11? You had 30 days from the date of activation of your new phone. Did you trade it in a corporate store or did you mail it? If you traded in a corporate store they should have provided you with a receipt showing what phone you traded in. If you sent the phone by mail you should have taken it to the post office and got any counter receipt. That information has your tracking so that you can track your phone through newgistics website to lavergne Tennessee.

Now they are saying I qualify for $0 credit.

Who?  How?  Explain in detail?  Are they perhaps just notifying you that your phone has been received?  There is no dollar amount applied in notification emails. All it would say is that your phone has been received.

I really feel like they stole my phone and left me with a bill for a brand new phone. Its completely unacceptable.

Unless your phone was never received, never sent or never traded in, there's no reason you would not get credit. At the very least you would get book value for your old phone.

You would get book value for your old phone if you are not on a compatible plan, did not trade in your phone on time

• 

4 Messages

9 months ago

They are claiming that my I phone 11 that they received via mail has $0 value. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 months ago

Yeah the same thing happened to me. I turned my phone in in-store. They lost my phone for a solid month or two. Called them back they said they left in the "back" and forgot. I waited another month or two and still no credit so I switched plans to a cheaper one. Then they refused to give me credit because I switched plans. I literally switched plans to a cheaper one because I wasn't getting credit.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

8 months ago

THIS SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME AND I'M INFURIATED. I NEED HELP. ATT owes me $1000. I traded in my iPhone 10S in JANUARY of 2022 and have opened SEVERAL TICKETS with their support team and NO ONE IS ABLE TO HELP ME. They've wasted over 100 hours of my time and at this point i dont know what to do. If anyone else has been able to get through - please share how they did it. 

• 

2 Messages

8 months ago

Can Lisa please reach out to me?  I saw that you helped @Absolutely_Infuriated with their issue. 

ACE - Sage

• 

115.9K Messages

8 months ago

@i_hate_them_MS 

File a better business bureau complaint online. The complaint is forwarded to att upper management and someone will contact you

If you didn't meet the requirements, you don't get credits

• 

1 Message

8 months ago

We are currently going through this EXACT same issue! It's mind boggling and infuriating!!!! We traded our phone in, in March. When we received our new phone there were instructions to mail the phone back in, we called att and asked if this was the correct box to mail the phone back in and were told yes. SO, we mailed the phone back and the day I did, I took a picture of the post office receipt. That was March 14th, 2023. It is now July 6th, 2023, and we still do not have any credits on our bill. We called in April to make sure that att had the trade in. They said yes it was received in March, that it just went to the wrong building, and they were fixing that on their end. We asked why it went to the wrong building and they said that we used the wrong box to mail it in, that the box we used was supposed to be for the new phone if we wanted to return it. We told them, that is not what an agent told us when we called to ask about it. That agent also added an extra line into our monthly bill that almost cost us our new phone, he made the line IEM number one number off my phone's IEM number. The agent, and her supervisor, we talked to after on the phone said the previous agent would be reprimanded because he knew exactly what he was being sneaky and doing. What he did would have added an extra $50 to our phone bill each month and we didn't approve it. We have been dealing with all of this for months. While on the phone today they tried to tell us, the phone was never received yet and once it has been we would get credit. Told them to check again because we have confirmed multiple times that it HAS in fact been received and we keep getting told credit will be on our next bill after they open a ticket. She said she would open a ticket and credit us $20 today, then came back about 10 minutes later and said she had technical difficulties. Today there's a notification from att on our account that says all lines that were made before Aug of 2022 are increasing by $2.50... I don't understand how they can treat their customers like this. We have been with them for years and always been truthful and straightforward with them. 

4 Messages

7 months ago

I have been dealing with this since March of 2022. I bought my daughter a phone and traded in another. Perfect phone and was told I would get a credit each month but I have yet to receive. I have spent hours on the phone. They received it at the wrong location and said they would have it shipped to the right location. I used the labels they sent me. Never have had this issue before and have been using trade in for years. Very disappointed. 

1 Message

7 months ago

I have been having the same issue as well. Its so frustrating. I traded in the phone in store in September 2022 and still no credit almost a year after. I kept calling. The manager at the store was able to find the tracking number. So after that when I call another day he said that we weren't eligible to upgrade because we had Att next plan. I said no thats not true because we never had Att next and we paid off $243 balance on the phone before we trade in the phone. Then after few months they are saying no, we actually have gave this credit to another line of yours. That line they are talking already the phone was received and completed. I said can you prove that? They said no 😂 Now they are saying find the tracking number on that trade in that happened 11 months ago and we completed and we will issue the credit in line you were suppose to get it😂  This is non sense. They know that people will not keep track of tracking numbers after the case is completed. I will call BBB. What they are saying is we owned you money but accidentally ( which im 100% sure thats not the case because the credit amount is different) we sent it to the wrong line ( my sister's) so we can't give it to you now. Even so if they lost my sister's phone and complited  her trade in process its a done deal. You can't say after 11 months wait a minute we don't have your phone. Its their loss not mine. I will be leaving Att as soon as I pay off the phones. Their customer service (Edited per community guidelines)

(edited)

11 Messages

6 months ago

Same thing happened to me. I sent in my phone, it was received and processed in MARCH (per ATT support, the postal tracking, AND the ATT trade in status). It’s now mid August. I was told by support that my $1000 credit would be applied within 3-4 billing cycles. (Un)Fortunately, this is the second time I’ve been bamboozled by an ATT promo, and back then, a support agent also confirmed the mistake, yet nothing was done resulting in hundreds of dollars lost. This time, I’ve saved screenshots, records, everything. BBB is a great idea, also going to file with the FCC. Hopefully this will stop these predatory practices on customers. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.