Trade In and Get Rewarded!
Absolutely_Infuriated's profile

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, January 24th, 2023 5:49 AM

Closed

AT&T never gave me trade-in credit

This whole program is insane. "Mail in your phone and we will give you $800 credit in three months." What an effing scam!

I mailed my phone in back in July. It is now January. After multiple calls and hours on the line, I finally got a guy to confirm what I already knew: AT&T received my phone in August. I said "Yeah, I have the postal tracking number that says that." After being transferred around to multiple departments, I was finally lucky enough to talk to a lady who fessed up and said that the phone was received but no ticket was assigned. She gave me the ticket number and said it would be resolved by Dec. 16. I call on Dec. 20, because - you guessed it - no credit had been applied to my account. Call again. And again. The people can't tell me anything other than to wait some more. Apparently, the issue will just resolve itself by magic.

This seriously should be illegal - AT&T should be required to process credits for trade-ins upon receipt of the device. Or at least in a prompt fashion. No more of this "we will credit your account in a few months or whenever we feel like getting around to it."

I call and call and call and nobody can give me a straight answer. I know the poor employees I am speaking to have been instructed not to tell me anything. I know they can hear the frustration in my voice and feel bad. But like I said, they are instructed to follow they script.

Do not ever trust this process. Seriously, I don't know if employees just steal the phones as soon as they come in. Or if it is all a big scam. Or if AT&T is just so backlogged and struggling to find staff to process the claims. Whatever it is, the system is clearly not working. Whether it is negligence or malice on the part of AT&T, I don't know, but this whole thing is so messed up. 

If I thought it would do anything I would file an $800 claim in small claims court or something. Obviously, nothing would come of that. So apparently I have no other choice but to continue paying off my new phone and then sever all ties with AT&T immediately afterward. And then convince everyone I know to leave AT&T as well.

• 

3 Messages

11 months ago

Unfortunately no. I was told a supervisor would contact me.  That never happened.  I plan to contact BBB soon and FCC.   Looking at this forum and seeing all the people who were scammed is quite disturbing.  I don't imagine you will get anywhere by dealing with AT&T.  Best of luck!

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 months ago

Similar problem here. Myself and my Wife took advantage of a trade-in promo last year (March, 2022). Since our bill is paperless and auto-debit every month I just assumed the credit(s) would start showing up in a couple months like we were told. Well last week I started to look into upgrading one of our daughter's phones (we have 4 lines total with AT&T and have been with them since well before the "Cingular Wireless" days) and I happened to notice my Wife and I did not have any credits for the promotion in 2022. So I go through the account and see both trade-ins still show as "In-transit" with the confirmation and USPS tracking numbers showing up under each phone. I thought "no big deal" I'll just make a quick call and it'll all be fixed. How wrong I was.

I called customer service and I was connected to somebody very quickly so I thought that was a great sign. Well I ended up being on the phone for almost two hours as the csr "looked" into it. I asked her a few times if they could just call me back but she stated that I had to remain on the phone while this was investigated. So after almost two hours she finally comes back with some answers after talking to some department she called "chat".  I won't go into exactly what she found out because I am still trying to decide if we should go the arbitration or small claims court route to remedy this. I will say part of the answer from AT&T was to just pick up in a couple of months as if nothing ever happened (minus a few dollars/month). This whole situation was treated as the "rule" instead of the "exception". After a quick search of the Community Forums I can that this might actually be true. I was shocked at the number of posts from people with almost the same problem. A jaded person would think that AT&T "sits on" a percentage of these trade-ins knowing that some people might never notice.

We always thought AT&T had the best customer service, that's one of the main reasons we have remained with them for so long (since at least 1999!). I found out things have changed. We had just been lucky and never really contacted customer service in the past few years. We will be paying off our two phones and taking those along with our daughter's phones (which are already paid off) and move to another provider. Crazy thing is we should be the type of customer AT&T loves... all four phones use less than 15GB worth of data on average every month, and as I mentioned, we have paperless billing with auto-pay enabled. I guess not.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

10 months ago

Hey - I have experienced the same issue with no credit for a trade-in and have been talking to endless associates on the phone that understand the issue but just say that they cannot fix it. The associates on the phone admit that the situation "makes no sense", but claim the situation is caused by the invoice date being before the effective date -- no idea what that means as I ordered the phone and then followed the direction when I recieved it. I have been offer $130 for the phone in place of the $800 which makes no sense. I have spoken to people, had cases opened and closed with no action: Jan 9, Jan 10, March 17, April 11 and now today. In each case, promised a follow-up and get none. I guess filed a BBB case or legal route is all I can do at this point.

In addition, we did a phone upgrade in-store in January and the store rep added many options to all of my lines with no notice and also changed our plan away from one I was grandfathered into. At this point, trying to figure out how to shift away from ATT, but held hostage by 2 lines that they did start the trade refund towards.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 months ago

Submit a complaint to the FCC here: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Within 3 days ALL of my problems were taken care of my somebody that works inside the office of the president for AT&T. They will contact you a day or two after you submit the complaint. It is too bad that this is the "easiest" way but it's all we have.

*Credit: The following thread is where I found out about the FCC complaint: https://forums.att.com/conversations/phone-device-upgrades/the-only-way-to-solve-your-tradein-issues/601aedf202e5bf067353deb8

Good Luck!

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

10 months ago

Thanks -- was told later today, that they would be credited "within 60 days" - if not, will file.

• 

1 Message

10 months ago

This is the same frustrating situation as my experience. In September 2022, I sent in my iPhone 11 Pro Max as part of rebate program. After multiple phone calls, still no rebate after eight months, yet they acknowledge receipt of my phone. Whenever I call trade in department, they direct me to customer service.  Customer service directs me to trade in department. One employee recently provided a case # and told me there are many people in this situation where they traded in phone but never receive rebates as advertised after many months.

Gary B 

• 

1 Message

10 months ago

I have this same issue. Unfortunately I did not keep a record of the IMEI number before I sent the trade in. 

Now ATT cannot find my trade in and is refusing to give me any credit. No resolution, no case just simply refusing to help. 

This is a scam - they took my trade in and not giving me any credit for it at all. 

I think I should definitely file a complaint with BBB. 

Please advise if anyone knows any way to resolve this. 

Thanks

• 

3 Messages

10 months ago

File a complaint with the FCC. After many months of trying,  I filled a complaint and was contacted in 1 business day and all got resolved.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

115.9K Messages

10 months ago

@Frustrated_customer01 

Not a scam.

It may be a poorly run promotion with too many holes and too many ways for various individuals along the way to make mistakes, or even steal. That does not make it a scam.

It has been recommended multiple times that if you're going to take part in these promotions make your purchase in a corporate store that can take your trade in, get the receipt, don't lose it,  rather than mail your phone.

• 

4 Messages

9 months ago

I feel completely manipulated. I had a beautiful I phone 11 in perfect condition and was convinced by a promotion to trade it in for a free upgrade. Now they are saying I qualify for $0 credit. I really feel like they stole my phone and left me with a bill for a brand new phone. Its completely unacceptable. I paid it off for them to steal it from me and charge me for a new phone? This cant be real? I am so heart broken and frustrated and I feel like people prey on single mothers by keeping them in debt everyday. Help?????

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.