Trade In and Get Rewarded!
J

• 

2 Messages

Monday, May 31st, 2021 7:33 PM

Activate new USA-purchased iPhone (on AT&T) in Mexico?

Greetings. I am a USA resident and AT&T wireless customer.  In a few weeks, I will be visiting my child who is living in Mexico for the summer. His current iPhone is dying, and he asked me to purchase a new phone in the USA (as an upgrade to his current phone/#, which is part of my AT&T account) and bring it to him when I visit.  Do I need to activate the new iPhone before I travel, while I'm still in the USA, or will he be able to activate the phone in Mexico? (he is currently using our AT&T plan in Mexico - so no need to unlock the new phone - the USA SIM card will be fine). Thank you for any insights!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116K Messages

3 years ago

You have a phone which is locked to AT&T for at least 60 days.  You can't activate it outside USA.

You should have purchased an unlocked phone from Apple.

If he's on a US At&t plan, it's fine, just move his sim card.

(edited)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

You should activate prior to traveling to be safe but I will disagree with the above. Activation is through Apple servers. As long as the iPhone is on WiFi, it should be able to be activated from Mexico.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

@sandblaster 

actually @lizdance40 is right.  There are more than just activation from Apple servers.  Carrier setting are not download from Apple.  They are selected by the tower the phone is connected to.  Mexico maybe easier than say Paris like a poster had a problem with a few months ago.  They had to mail the phones back to the USA activate them then send back to France.

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you all; I'll activate the phone in the US! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.