Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Nov 27, 2018 12:44 PM

Pre-Existing Digital Life Equipment - RIP IT OUT AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

So, we purchased a home with a Complete Digital Life Package. The seller had it installed not too long ago (Less Than A Year). The Seller and I have tried and tried to transfer the service to no avail. They said, "He cancelled the service" and we had to "reactivate the service" to transfer it. We tried that. Even with a transfer, we were told we would have to pay the "one time transfer fee" which was equal to their new service costs. So, what they do is, they charge you the same price for a new service, EVEN THOUGH, we already have all new equipment. This is a total scam. He could have had installed on a Monday, then, on Tuesday, sold the house, AND, Transferred the account. So the equipment could be 1 day old, AND, we (the new homeowner) would have to purchase a whole new system under the guise of a "one time fee" which is 100% equal to the cost of a new system, i.e., the exact same equipment installed. Stay away from this. I read tons of review about the lack of service, the equipment pitfalls and bad service, and costs. I do plan on taking this up with our local state government (Ohio) and the Ohio Consumer Sales Practices Act. I will use all avenues, i.e, Facebook, Instagram, BBB, and other consumer watch dog agencies about this. I have never seen anything like this in my entire life. What's hilarious is I've already decided at this point to go a different direction but if I can keep just 1 single person/couple from buying this service and equipment, it will be worth the time to do so. My lord. We wanted to just avoid having to rip everything out and re-install a whole new system, and, we followed their instructions to a tee! Absolutely ridiculous. Terrible company, terrible service, terrible company Period. End Of Story. DO NOT BUY, DO NOT SUBSCRIBE, STAY AWAY. If you have any doubts at all, leave me an email address and I will share with you even more detail.

Responses

Brand User
ATTDigitalLifeCS

Community Support

• 

5.8K Messages

2 months ago

Hello. If you would like to provide me the address of your home I can look to see what equipment we installed in the home , verify with you what is there and then provide you options for obtaining service. We do see where the previous homeowner has removed pieces of equipment from the home. I have marked your post as private so that your personal information is not shared publicly.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

...So the saga continues. I'm in the exact same boat as previous commenters. Sad that most of these comments are from 2 yrs ago. Moved into a home with an existing DL system and was told the usual comments about having to pay for new equipment, service fees, tech fees, etc. etc.  While this makes no business sense (from a customer service standpoint), it appears to be a excellent way for AT&T to gouge consumers.  Add to that the fact that their monitoring service is too expensive, but that's another story for another day.  At this point, all I'm trying to do is silence the device chimes when I open/close doors in the house so that it doesn't duplicate the new system I'm installing.  I do not have the app and believe I have the correct pin for the keypad given to me by the previous owner.  Is there a way to silence the chimes from the keypad??

Brand User

Community Support

• 

5.8K Messages

a month ago

@dbell06  Hello. We do have options for activating existing equipment in the home. I would be happy to review those with you if you are interested. If you are wanting to disable the chimes, just unplug the main controller and remove the battery and it will all  be non working.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

And therein lies the issue I have with AT&T.  The options to activate involve you charging me $300 to $500 for equipment that's already installed.  Trust me, I've talked to at least two of the Reps about this.  I can't for the life of me figure out why I need to be charged for equipment that's already installed and was being used days before I moved in.  That's not a very customer-focused policy and it doesn't make sense to me.  At this point, I'll simply unplug main controller and remove battery.  This way I can install my own system.  Thanks

Brand User

Community Support

• 

5.8K Messages

a month ago

@dbell06  Hello again. There are other options to activate the equipment that are not at that cost. We do have another option that is far less expensive. If you are interested, let me know and I will set the chat to private so that you can supply me your home address so I can look to see what equipment we installed in the home and verify with you what is still there. That way your personal information is not publicly shared. Sometimes, previous homeowners remove pieces of equipment.

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

@benchedEOD did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same issue. All I want to do is restore to factory settings to get the chime working again. Previous owners left me with no codes. 

• 

12 Messages

a month ago

@culbc1028  they waived the $500+ install fee down to $99, but that’s it. I just ended up unplugging everything on my end and getting a better fit security system. This level of customer service isn’t worth the higher subscription cost. 

If you are going to dismantle your stuff, make sure you pull the big backup battery out of the main unit and then pull the keypad. It should keep it from throwing the power failure alarm so long as the pin pad is disarmed. 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

22 days ago

Agree 100%...  We were happy with the original installation done by AT&T in 2013. They turn all the servicing over to an independent contractor..... the shadiest, biggest scam artists we've ever dealt with.  Run as fast as you can.  There are some reputable security companies out there and we wish we had checked them out.  We will never let one of these independent servicing contractors near our home again.  

Get started...

Ask a new question